Warhamer: a society of evil? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    S-N
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Warhamer: a society of evil?

I was in a GW store recently purchasing my beloved pistoliers, when a young white male waltzed into the store. He than procceded to peer curiously at the display case, obviously amazed. Just as he began to walk deeper into the shop, his mother yelled to him "[name withheld] get out of that store right now! That is not a store for you!" his mother than eyed a sharp glare into my gereneral direction. The whole experiance was quite shocking...
    Which brings me to my point: Is Warhammer really considered Wierd, obscure, or evil? While I realize for DnD is sometimes regarded "evil", is Warhammer following in its footsteps, or has it always been "evil"?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well there are demons and all, but I doubt anyone really considers it all that evil except for the most devout of all Christians. In many ways it keeps you away from bad things like alcohol, gambling, sex (not necesarily because you're uncool or what have you, instead your focussing more on gaming, modelling, etc.)

Cheers!
    Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes were all evil and now the world knows it and soon well be hunted down by mobs with pitchforks and torches lol nah i know DnD used to have a bad rep because of all the crazy kids muredering people but thats alot more of a mental game and less about the models all my friends and people oi know just think im sad lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Wow.. you really know how to phrase a title. Lured me in instantly.

Without really knowing why that incident occured, we can't really comment. Maybe the woman in question just didn't want her son involved in a stupidly expensive hobby (which it is, let's face it. I think it's worthwhile, of course, but some people would gawp.)

I'm not really sure what you mean by evil, myself. Are you saying the subject matter is regarded as evil. Well, hell yeah. One of the attractions of warhammer and 40k is that both games are dark and miserable. We get too much light, fluffy fantasy out there, and it's good to join the dark side every once in a while.

If by evil you mean socially unnacceptable, well, that's because it's retreatist fantasy. Lord of the Rings may be the most popular book of all time (bah, I didn't vote for it) but in general, retreating from the real world is considered pretty nerdy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there are fanatics everywhere, of every culture, and every religion.

also, plenty of people tend to lump all wargames, rpgs, and card games into "dungeons and dragons", much like people like to call the military the army, and everyone in the military a soldier. all the above get on my nerves.
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Vegitarianism is willingly demoting yourself on the food chain.</span>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x2)

Warhammer, D&D, comic books, and video games (among other things) will always carry a stigma because of their content. It is a fact of life that some people will seek to control others through religious mediums. Such people are easily identifiable: They are the people who honestly believe that the human imagination is evil, and that anything not written directly into the bible is a lie (or, worse, people who pretend to be one of the people above, but who do so to manipulate others for their own gains).

There is nothing 'bad' or 'wrong' with any of the entertainment mediums these people claim are evil. Playing D&D for instance is statistically less likely to cause a person to turn to violence than playing a school sport, yet due to the belief that someone willing to use their imagination is evil, these overly-religious zealots work to get such games banned.

So, in summation, there is absolutely nothing wrong with being a wargamer, playing warhammer, or playing D&D. The people who say these games are evil tend to be either out of touch with reality (i.e. Zealots, Sheep), or controlling manipulators who need a scapegoat so that they can maintain their control (i.e. Any Modern Dictator). The first views such games as a threat to their religious values, and the second views them as a convenient scapegoat to keep the first under control.

Sorry for the essay, I'm not a fan of either group. Zealots I can live with, but the manipulators (with their false piety, and using judgement and religion as a form of control) I just cannot stand. It's one of the reasons why I take great joy in killing Space Marines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by PoptartsNinja
    I'm not a fan of either group. Zealots I can live with, but the manipulators (with their false piety, and using judgement and religion as a form of control) I just cannot stand. It's one of the reasons why I take great joy in killing Space Marines.
    Now, I'm not religious, but I'm not too keen on your assessment of belief.

There is a very strong argument for religious fundamentalism. If you genuinely believe in a god/gods, surely it/they should be the centre of your existence, since you owe your existence to it/them.

Warhammer, for all its virtues, is at best an unncessary part of a religious lifestyle, and at worst quite destructive to religious mentality. Therefore, some people, quite validly, can choose to regard it as an unwelcome influence. This doesn't make them sheep, this doesn't mean they're trying to control others. It makes them people with conviction.

It's very easy to pick on religious people, just like it was easy for them to pick on non-religious people for hundreds of years. Ultimately, however, their worldview is no less healthy than yours. It's just different.

But that was very off topic.

If we're talking about Warhammer conforming to religiously proscribed definitions of evil, as far as I'm aware, it's not exactly the case in most parts (read, most parts) of the Western world. The guy who I've played most often with in my rather short GW career is a Christian himself. He has no problem with the game, and is perfectly capable of seperating his christian beliefs from it. A relatively small number of people don't want to do that, but I don't think that makes them wrong.
    Last edited by The_Giant_Mantis; March 28th, 2005 at 01:55.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Heh. Hilarious.

I wonder how many games we play before they teach us the real power, and we can mind bondage people to take their money and buy more blister packs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giant_Mantis
    Now, I'm not religious, but I'm not too keen on your assessment of belief.
    You may not believe it, but I am a fundamentalist. I believe, but that does not mean I cannot also think for myself, which is the distinction I make between a Zealot and a majority of people. When you turn to God so that you don't have to think for yourself, you've turned to God for the wrong reason. It's like the old saying, God helps those who help themselves.

My annoyance isn't really with the zealous, it's with the people who control them by saying "This is bad, we should hate it, because it's against the Will of God". There are people who trick fundamentalists into going too far in the name of "religious purity" just as there are politicians who lie to their constituants in order to stay in power. That's the problem with power of any kind, Religious or Secular or Monitary or Physical... it's addictive, and if you hold onto it for too long, it's corrupting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well if you think about it not if you play on the "good side" all about for the Emperor and protedting people. But some of the Choas deamons fluff and raping and pilaging. bu its a hobby. I told my mom would you rahter have my fingures on a paint brush or a cigerett
    The Predator Lingers forth. Suddenly the sound of several wipping sounds can be heard far off into the distance, a second later the once mighty Predator ignited with flames. "Sir what was that" The srgt replied "Its those damn Broadsides"

Hear the wip, fear the Broadside.
    Tau 2-2
    Guard 26-45

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast