Another productive night - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another productive night

Although I should have been prep'ing my kitchen for plastering I've spent the evening drilling out about 20 weapon barrels for my in progress Dark Angels (those bolt pistols are tricky).

If you don't drill them - start!. I'm a real newbie to gaming and modelling (since December '04) but I saw some bolters drilled and I just had to get me a pin vice!

Seriously they look loads better and because you don't have to put a perfect round circle of black paint around the front, I think they're easier to paint.

I'm enjoying the hobby so far and although I've only played 2 games, I'm seriously getting hooked! I've already got 5 background books from the black library, Imperial Armour vol.1, and about 6 codexes - not to mention a day at Warhammer World.

Infact - if you take into account all the other bits I've bought - my DA army could have been very large by now!

Anyway, just thought I'd have an introductory ramble (mods feel free to delete my babblings...) I enjoy using the forum so see you around.

Last edited by burni; April 11th, 2005 at 23:40.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey fellow Lancastrian!

Well I love converting models, so I kind of understand your enthusiasm. Just today I built a Leman Russ Conqueror and a Cadian weapons squad, as well as continuing my gaming table. I haven't bought a pin vice yet, but I'm thinking of it now. I've only recently started painting the black circles on the grenade launchers for my Cadians, but maybe a pin vice would suffice.
    Anyway I'm glad to see some enthusiasm! I've only played twice myself, but I've painted a lot of Cadians- I keep my first ones to see how I've improved over time!
    Imperial XIV Corps:

22nd Emperor's Rangers- 0%
    291st Catachan- 0%
    2nd Naval Regiment- 0%

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I saw the drilled bolters online, and I loved how they looked. I immediately bought a pin vise and guessed the drill size correctly, by luck. Drilling seems to actually be kinda... fun! i don't know why but it seems addicting. And they look really good. I just can't get a drillhead big enough for grenade launchers or the backs of missile launchers. Too bad...

Anyone know if there are drillheads that big?

heretical thoughts? ShadowZora13's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    231 (x4)

I do this too. Looks cool. As for larger drill heads, get some from your normal pack of drill heads for a power drill. I;m not sure about what size, but I've goten a 1/8" bit into my pin vise.

"...lest we perish without ever recognizing our peril"
    -Inquisitor Hoth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad to see I'm not the only one who find pin vicing fun! (it's the first thing I do when I buy new models!).

In the UK we have a chain store called Hobbycraft, they sell the exact same pin vice product as GW but seem to carry a lot more bits for it - they're sure to have a missle launcher size bit (and I'm sure that you can get them from a similar store state side).

Allied_32 - happy to see there are more 40k'ers in the county. Do you know of any good clubs in the area?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

I've seen this done of Bike exhausts too, and it does look really good.

I'm just too lazy

Wolfkin
    Army:

Terminator Based Custom Chapter

http://www.terrascenic.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burni
    Glad to see I'm not the only one who find pin vicing fun! (it's the first thing I do when I buy new models!).

In the UK we have a chain store called Hobbycraft, they sell the exact same pin vice product as GW but seem to carry a lot more bits for it - they're sure to have a missle launcher size bit (and I'm sure that you can get them from a similar store state side).

Allied_32 - happy to see there are more 40k'ers in the county. Do you know of any good clubs in the area?
    The only place I know of is the local GW in Blackpool which is in Birley Street if you know it.
    Imperial XIV Corps:

22nd Emperor's Rangers- 0%
    291st Catachan- 0%
    2nd Naval Regiment- 0%

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x4)

Some tips for Bolter barrel drilling:

First, drill from one side a little more then halfway through. Like that:
    .-->[]
    .....|..|

Then, from the other side. In both cases, smallest of the drills in the Pin Vice set is advised.
    ......[]<--
    .....|..|

Finally, drill into the main part of the barrel. I advise to use the smallest drill first, until you drill into the cavity created by the previous two drillings, then switch to second smallest and enlarge the drilled hole.
    ......|
    ......V
    ......[]
    .....|..|

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting. I start at the front and although I haven't messed up yet I do worry. Does your method make it easier or is it less likely to mess up?

And I like the idea of the bike exhausts - I did it to my rhinos exhausts and they look quite good but a bigger bit may have been an idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For my drilling I don't do it in a particular order. The barrel is short and it is nearly impossible to really get the drilling crooked, so I usually try my best to get the front centered, and then I drill that. After I drill the front relatively deep, I then drill the sides. Tada! Drilled, great-lookin Bolter Barrels.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast