Battleforces - Hot or Not? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

Battleforces - Hot or Not?

I have looked at quite a few battleforces lately, and it seems that none of them are worth their price. Am I wrong?

A typical battleforce includes a basic troop choice, a vehicle of some sort, plus some more. Overall, they tend to cover troops, fast attack and heavy support. The idea of the battleforce is good; to include a lot of units in a large box, that will make it a bit cheaper for us poor wargamers to buy the large quantities of basic stuff we need. But it seems that they always screw up when they decide what to include in the battleforce..

Lets take a look at the eldar battleforce, you get:
    20 guardians: Fine, covers the basic needs of any eldar army.
    1 Vyper: Ok, but it comes with useless arament. You´ll have to order a real weapon on the side.. weapon options should be included.
    1 Falcon: fine, but needs weapons.
    3 guardian jetbikes(!): A waste. these are useless, unless you want to convert a farseer to ride one, in which case you have two jetbikes left with nothing to ue them for.

The advantage of the battleforce is gone with the jetbikes, and you still need some very basic things, that could have been included in stead of them, such as warlocks and heavy weapon platforms for the guardians, and weapon options for the vehicles.

The DE battleforce is likewise ruined by including too many reavers (more that 0), and not including the basic things needed to field the other stuff in the force, such as dark lances and assault weapons.

Is every single battleforce in the GW range just as worthless, or are my two armies the only ones that cannot take advantage of the money-saving battleforce?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

The Orange Grey Knight MiketehFox's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x8)

Well the Tau battle force I find is a good buy! Not sure bout the rest though...

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

the marine battle force is very core, so it's always good to have, lots o tactial marines and a razorback too.

the tau one is probably the best, and the chaos one would be before last, as the imperial guard one would be last.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are pretty hit and miss. The Cadian Battleforce has some good starting stuff for a new army, as does the Tau battleforce. Some, like the Chaos one, are pretty dependent (i.e, it's good if you want a Khorne army, otherwise a waste). I do like the idea, however.
    Sithlet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

The tyranid battle force is also good fr what you get, 2boxs of gauns, 1 box of genestealers and 1 box of warriors, remains to be seen off course how new one is gonna be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Tau one is great, toss the Kroot and you still come out ahead vs. buying all the other stuff seperate. As for some of the others, you have to realise that the contents are dictated by what is available for that army in plastic. There are no metal bits in the battleforces (some but VERY few exceptions).

I personally like the reaver jetbikes, but that's just me. I would rather have another Raider and a lower price, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_Pack
    as the imperial guard one would be last.
    The only thing the guard battleforce lack is more troops. 20 guardsmen (not counting the hvy weapon teams) is very poor for an army that needs atleast 35 to even function in any simple mission. otherwise a lemanruss is always good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daviszko
    Guardsman 173rd, those are incredible - you've impressed me and my friend who I linked it to. Nice work!!
    http://artpad.art.com/?ihxjyl1j1r4s
    http://artpad.art.com/?ihxveyxdfp4
    http://artpad.art.com/?ihz6s11k5ao

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One question, do you get the Codex in a Battleforce box? That jacks up value a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

no, you don´t

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by helotaxi
    The Tau one is great, toss the Kroot and you still come out ahead vs. buying all the other stuff seperate. As for some of the others, you have to realise that the contents are dictated by what is available for that army in plastic. There are no metal bits in the battleforces (some but VERY few exceptions).

I personally like the reaver jetbikes, but that's just me. I would rather have another Raider and a lower price, though.
    Tossing the Kroot! are you demented? they are the greatest thing that could happen to a tau player! snd if you get enough, you can form a kroot merc army, how cool is that?

(sorry had to do this)
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast