Fantasy or 40k fluff? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fantasy or 40k fluff?

I was just wondering which background/fluff you like more Fantasys' or 40ks'??

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think 40k has better fluff, models, army books, and characters than fantasy.

Unfortunately, fantasy rules are about twenty times better. =(
    Kais Kauyon Tash'var Battle Record
    2/1/0

Waaugh! Shizgrak Battle Record
    2/4/0

W/L/T

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

it used to be the other way round, when FB was the premier game and 40k was just an offshoot- but nowadays 40k is much better in terms of fluff, deeper and less one-dimensional IMO

still prefer fantasy tho
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, the 40k fluff is definitly best.

The fantasy fluff is just ripping off traditional fantasy books and history, and most of the themes in warhammer are used up, because you see them in lots of computergames, comics, etc. dwarves. elves. yawn.

Now 40k is off course also mostly ripp off everything, but it always twists it into the 40k 'feel'. Take spacewolves for example. They're vikings, wolfkind and spacemarines at the same time. Each theme is unoriginal on it's own, but together they're something you don't see anywhere else. It's the same thing with the inquisitors, an awesome combination of themes.

And there are some quite unique things in 40k, like chainswords. Have you seen or read about chainswords and chainaxes in ANY other game or book than 40k?? And techpriests. I can't imagine what they could be ripping off. Part of the theme in 40k is the perfect blend of fantasy and science fiction. 40k does this much better than Star Wars in my opinion.
    Ave Dominus Nox!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson angel
    I was just wondering which background/fluff you like more Fantasys' or 40ks'??
    Warhammer 40,000's is better. I like it much better.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandhawk03
    I think 40k has better fluff, models, army books, and characters than fantasy.

Unfortunately, fantasy rules are about twenty times better. =(
    What are you crazy??? The books you get for fantasy are twice the size of 40k books, and have far more detailed fluff from what I've seen in the 40k stuff. And the models are objective, I for one prefer Fantasy models. And how can you say that 40k has better special characters? Quality over quantity people.

And yes, the rules of Fantasy are amazing. And 40k has gone down the toilet since 4th Edition came out with all it's crummy rules.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's hard to choose because I've always loved medieval type stuff like Fantasy. But WH40k is really awesome and new too and I read fluff about 40k all the time. But I'll go ahead and say 40k is my favorite fluff

Space Wolves- 4,000 pts
    Tau- 500pts
    Dwarves in progress

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I chose to play 40K because of the fact that it doen't remind me of Lord of the Rings or any number of other fantasy type yarns. FB reminds me of Lord of the Rings and any number of other fantasy type yarns.

40K's backstory is fantastic, largely due to the fact that there's always more beneath the surface. Take the Imperium of Man, for instance; a massive organisation fighting for the survival of our species they may be, but they're doing it using genetically engineered, mentally altered warriors as well as the downright loony Inquisition and a whole lot of killing, sometimes of their own kind. Wonderful stuff, better than "Ho, vagabond! A knight hath holp my horse, hey nonny nonny!" or any of that sort of thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    137 (x3)

They both have unoriginal themes! Orks, elves, vampires, aliens, chaos, ad nauseum.

But I have to opt for the fantasy setting as having better fluff. I really enjoy the storylines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neither. Space Marines hide the fact that 40k falls into many Sci-Fi and Fantasy traps. For example, the IG are pretty much what you see in ALIENS and Starship Troopers, and many other Sci-Fis besides. We have Elves in Space, The Terminator (times 1000000), and we're even graced by Aliens!

However, I do love the Tyranid, Space Marine and Necrons fluff. Even if the concept aren't original, you can't go past the actual studies and heppenings. Same for WHFB.

WHFB is much overlooked by many think it is cliche'. I beg to differ. Like 40k, the concept are quite used, by compared to, say, D&D, it has a startling background. The way all the territories are placed and the driving forces behind the races make them stand out against other Fantasy RPGs and War Games.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast