GW staff members - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x3)

GW staff members

Has anyone noticed the majority (I say the majority, as i know several that are ok and I'm sure there are more out there) of staff members that work for GW really do have an attitude problem? I really want to know if this is the case with other stores. Around where i've been they seem to fall into a few different categories:

1. The one that is horribly bitter, hates everyone apart from other staff members.
    2. The one that you can have a half decent conversation with when theres no one else around, but then changes as soon as another person comes near.
    3. The one that picks on the noobs that have just got into the hobbie, so they have bought enough that GW won't be hurt if they leave it.
    4. The one that insists that everything they do including playing and painting style is better than your own.

Now, I know I may sound as though I'm simply *****ing, but all I'd like to know is whether it is the same in other stores. I notice at my local store, that they're really nice to the little kid that has just come in to the store to buy loads of models, but then as soon as that kid comes along to the sunday training program, they get *****ed at and sarcasm thrown their way all day, because the staff members know that they're now in the hobby and have spent some money on it. It seems kinda sad to me - i mean when a 26 year old guy is saying, totally seriously "No, you IDIOT, that's only 15 inches, not 30, Christ!", to a 9 year old when all they did was make a simple mistake.
    Does anyone else have this in their stores? What are the staff like there? I'll be interested to know.

The only difference between tattooed people and non-tattooed people is that tattooed people are awesome and can kick your ass.
    "War does not determine who is right - only who is left."

RAMROD ONE

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x3)

Mostly the guys in my store are fine "during business hours". If you go along to the "16+ gaming evening" they seem to turn into hyperactive 20-30 somethings who use F*** or S*** as every other word. (hence why I dont go)

Only fault I can give them is they are sometimes a little too pushy on sales. They can also be a little too sarcastic for their own good sometimes. On the whole tho... no problems from me ^_^ I infact sympathise with em... having had to listen to a 20 min conversation with the guy running the training club trying to explain Line of Site to the 6 guys he was teaching ^_^ "No your trops cannot 'Jump' over the tank to take a shot!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

I've only ever talked to two GW employees ever (lucky me eh? cos I bought most of my army components off eBay) so I can;t really say all that much BUT...

Some of the guys are really nice, they're fun to talk to and will gave help when you need it. When I went to get a plastic Dreadnaught kit so I could make one for my Chaos Marine army, I asked him how I could put a plasma cannon in it. So he goes and gets a Plasma Cannon devastator, shows me exactly where to cut the cannon to make it fit on the Dreadnaught arm, and my Dreadnuaght looks pretty awesome.

But about 6 months ago I went to GW with a friend (because we'd both got back into 40K after being out of it for years) to do the beginners thing (cos of the news rules and all).

My friend brough along some of his Marines and I didn't bring anything, the guy there was visably pissed off that I hadn't brought any troops. I'm kinda glad I didn't, because he was overly patronising to my mate (who's played 40K since 2nd Ed. and Gorkamorka, BFG and Epic). I had a much better conversation with a 12yr old kid about his Tau army.

But I do suppose the GW guys are under a certain pressure, they do after all have to sell GW's product so I guess it's natural that they whould pamper new players as it were to get them to buy stuff. But from what I've heard a lot of a people seem to get bullied into buying units they don't need which is shameful in my opinion.

I've never really had a problem because I always go to a GW armed with the knowledge that I know exactly what I want...
    Current Projects:
    - Watch this space.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x8)

*nods* I have come across one or two before, aswell as the ones with all that, but also seem to be quite Sarcasic. But then you get people like this everywhere, not just GW.

However, having said this, most of the GW staff IMO, are great.

For example theres this SW collector staffie a friend and I met a few weeks back while we were looking for stuff to buy.

This kid came along and asked him if buying a Land Raider for his 600 point army would be a good idea, to which is reply was:

"Nooooooo. Tactical Squads!"

But after the kid had walked away, leaving the box on the table I might add =>.<= (I hate it when Customers do that =>__<=)
    We got talking to him about SW and Space Marines and what not.

He's quite crazy XD but aren't we all XD
    And its that quite of craziness and cool chit chat that mainly makes me go back to GW stores, because you can always have a joke and talk about the hobby, while buying your stuff. =^.^=
    Want to chat? You can normally find me in the LO CHAT!
    LO CHAT! JOIN US NOW AND BECOME A GOD OF BACON.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    435 (x6)

I have indeed noticed that some GW staff members seem to have a somewhat unfortunate attitude. Whether this is because the job attracts people with certain personality traits or whether their love of the hobby has been smothered by a thousand annoying newbie questions and people not taking their job and hobby seriously, I have no idea. I do feel a bit sorry for them, though, in spite of everything. As Knape says, they do have to put up with a lot of crap every day from rude customers and their equally annoying parents.

I do have a certain issue with most GW staff members that hasn’t been listed in the post above, though, probably because it is only experienced by a minority of the forum members: Not being taken seriously because of my gender. Yes, I am not your average Warhammer player, and at a glance I suppose I could look like someone having mistaken the GW store for her favourite shoe shop, but it still annoys me when I am being ignored or patronised because of being female. I’ve even had a staff member tell me that he was sure I wouldn’t enjoy reading a Black Library novel and helpfully show me the nearest bookstore carrying Barbara Cartland books. I swear, if looks could kill… :mad: That’s why I am now usually shopping for my Black Library books in one of the local sci-fi and fantasy bookstores. I wonder if any of the other female members of the forum has experienced a similar treatment by GW staff, or if I’ve just been really unlucky?

~Grephaun.
    "Girls are nice and cuddly on the outside, and freaky on the inside." ~ Lost Nemesis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lordofchange
    "No, you IDIOT, that's only 15 inches, not 30, Christ!", to a 9 year old when all they did was make a simple mistake.
    They cant teach under 12s unless a parent is present. So I dout that happened in front of a parent.

Frankly my GW store is full of surly gits with few people skills. I used to get sick of the over inthusiastic guys who would pounce on you as you walked through the door, but thats preferable to a bunch of jaded old men. For a company who set cheerful customer service at the top of their agenda, even in interviews, they let some proper grumps through the net.
    A Rhino? SLOTH!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well in the store I visit in NYC, most of the people there are extremely helpful, tactful, and socially competent. They make good jokes and never seem to lose patience. Even when something goes wrong, like when some non-playing little kids were wandering through the store for like 30 minutes, they were simply turned out with a calm explanation of store policy.

They're not pushy salesmen either. When I was shopping for stealth suits, one recommended that I not get a team leader, as it's much cheaper to get another pair of 'uis and simply convert one if you want a leader. A woman came in with her kids looking for something to do on rainy days, so instead of selling them the huge starter kit + accessories, he simply sold them some painting kits and some kind of smaller set.

HOWEVER, I have sometimes seen pushy or unfriendly managers. The employees are generally nicer than the managers, I've seen. And managers LOVE to make sales.
    Last edited by DireStrike; June 4th, 2005 at 21:52.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ya gw staff does get really pushy at both the stores and over the phone
    Creator and Head Patriot of USA Clan
    Head of Rap in the LO Music Clan
    "What can I say, I'm a repoholic. Just can't get enough of that repohol."
    I want everyone to remeber why they need us!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

The guys at my local GW are all pretty cool. Not really pushy on the sales-I mean, they're just doing their job, and they're trying to talk people into spending, but it's not like he's forcing hundreds of dollars of stuff on me whenever I walk in-they're reasonably personable, and helpful and all that. Plus, watching them flip out on the far-too-numerous little punks who walk in and think they're hilarious when they make fun of the people in the store is high-quality entertainment.
    Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me.

Member of the Canadian Clan, eh.
    Mech Tau Cadre: 2000 points, needs paint and magnets.
    Paladins of Avalon (SW):-1500 points, needs paint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I hate about the GW guys is the fact they treat everyone like a Noob. I understand they have to assume that, but when I tell them I have been playing for 12 years they still talk to me like I've never rolled dice. The sad part is I know more about the hobby than most of them... I always chuckle when i mention Rouge Trader and they give me a funny look....

And then there are the ones that talk alot of smack but really don't know what they are talking about. I let one GW guy talk to me about my army (USF) like I had never played before...he then proceeded to tell me one of the best tactics was to put a Warlock on a bike with a Wraithgate, which is Illegal. He even grabbed a bike and warlock blister and told me I needed them and started to ring those up as well.

I let him have it infront of his store manager, who apologized profusly. I work retail and I understand suggestive selling and the like but dont assume I'm just going to blindly do what you say...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast