Tournament Terrain - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tournament Terrain

First off apologies to the mods if this is the incorrect place to post this but I couldn't see anywhere better.

I am going to Conflict London for the first time this weekend and have been playing a few practice games but recently someone told me that there is little cover on the 40k tournament tables. Is this true ? We generally have about a quarter of a 6x4 table's worth as cover. How does this compare with what I should expect at a Conflict ?

I'd appreciate some guidelines so I can practice with a similiar terrain density.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x8)

Yes, in alot of cases it is.

I'm not sure on the Conflicts, but GTs are normally like that.
    I don't know why, but I would have thought one reason would be storage.

As for guidelines..*thinks* Theres not really alot I can say.
    But by all means, get some playtest games in on boards with about 4 to 7 bits of small to medium size terrain.

-Trees
    -Small buildings
    -Rock Clusters

This way, you'll have played on boards with minimal amounts of terrain, as well as your normal boards. This should prep you a bit more in advance.

One thing I would say is, don't expect many boards, if any, that will have massive centre peices on them, or that will be loaded with terrain.
    Want to chat? You can normally find me in the LO CHAT!
    LO CHAT! JOIN US NOW AND BECOME A GOD OF BACON.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wallop_ODuel
    First off apologies to the mods if this is the incorrect place to post this but I couldn't see anywhere better.

I am going to Conflict London for the first time this weekend and have been playing a few practice games but recently someone told me that there is little cover on the 40k tournament tables. Is this true ? We generally have about a quarter of a 6x4 table's worth as cover. How does this compare with what I should expect at a Conflict ?

I'd appreciate some guidelines so I can practice with a similiar terrain density.
    From my experience with tournaments, there is usually very very little terrain. This means games will work quite differently from games with lots of terrain. Infiltration is often useless, because your opponent's units will be able to see most of the table. Bikes and jumppacks are very unneccesary as well, because they have little cover on their way across the table. Besides the open terrain means transports can easily take troops where you want them. Assault troops are only safe when in assault, in the open they risk getting shot to bits.

I'm not quite sure, but I think battles with little terrain favour shooty armies.
    Ave Dominus Nox!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your help.

I have now been to Conflict and in case any one else is interested in the future the terrain was as follows.

Most tables had 7 or 8 pieces of terrain on them, with the majority of them being no bigger than 3x4" of ruined building. Tending to be played as 4+ or 5+ cover save depending on the actual terrain peice and what you and your opponent agreed. The rest of the terrain was typically fences or rocky barricades. Some tables did have a big terrain piece (an old GW building I had seen somewhere before ?) which was about 4x7" and quite high (level 3) and was used as 4+ cover save in the game I played using it. These tables where in the minority. Ther terrain was well spread out and evenly balanced on all the tables I saw.

As my first tourny I really enjoyed it, all the games where played in the right spirit and I had some good games. I would definately go again.

And BTW my Alpha Legion (infiltrating, of course) did suffer a little from the lack of terrain but nowhere near as badly as I feared.

+ Reply to Thread