Black Library - Limited Edition Pains - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black Library - Limited Edition Pains

I am, by my own admittance a Games Workshop Retiree.

I used to be so deeply into the whole family of games that it is kind of embarassing when I think back. I used to play them all, I used to collect them all, I used to model them all and I used to paint them all. I used to simply devour every single morsel of the hoby I could get my gnashers around.

Well times move on and by my estimation, in my gaming heyday days must have been a lot longer than 24 hours as I certainly can't fit all the gaming and painting in these days.

Ah well, these days I keep myself topped up with the reading material that is in ample supply from the providers of my pastime.

But I have a problem and I wonder if anyone else has experienced it?

There are a goodly amount of publications regularly released from the abomination that is the Black Library - decent background books, art books even novels of interest all of which I would dearly love to get my mitts on and read through at least once.

So my question is this, why on Earth does the Black Library persist in releasing these books on artificially abridged release runs and limited editions thereby denying their customers any access to them.

I can see how making artificially limited print runs increases the value of a book greatly, but the publishers for some crazy reason don't take advantage of this by charging higher prices - not that I want them to you understand but basically all that occurs is that the eBay sellers buy up the limited run and they make their profits selling for £50-100 a book they bought for £15.

So why don't BL simply release standard print runs and make the money by selling more units to people who will actually read them at exactly the same price they would normally have sold them at?

As it is, there are so many BL 'limited runs' that I simply will never read - three of the four Libers Chaotica for a start, part 2 of the Horus Heresy etc etc.

Yes I would like to read them very much but most of the time they are not available anywhere at all and the rest of the time they are available but only on eBay and only at ten times their actual cover value from someone who bought the book with no intention of ever reading it.

Will I buy from an eBay merchant like that? Probably not - not to the extent that I would pay totally over the odds for what is in reality only an artificially rare item.

That of course leaves the unpalatable situation where I and I suspect many other people will never read let alone own what are undoubtedly very interesting books and source material simply because BL are releasing too many 'luxury' books rather than catering to their customers.

I'd hope that BL didn't intend that - as a business I can't see how they think it would make sense as the rarity value can only really be realised by someone other than BL.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Text removed

Notice - LO does not condone the attaining of GW material, be it army books or novels via the use of downloading them from the net in torrent or file form. This is theft and as such illegal, keep it off our boards.

KU
    Last edited by King Ulrik Flamebeard; November 17th, 2005 at 17:26.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x3)

Over the last few weeks I have bought liber chaoticas for Khorne, Nurgle and Tzeentch on Ebay and not paid more than £15 for any of them. The only ones that sell for silly money are the limited edition ones which used to retail for £75 anyway.
    Helper monkey, bring me beer and donuts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blimey, I've been out all day so I didn't get that second post -

Just as a tip though from an old forum jockey, I would tend to change the text to just 'post removed' as its totally obvious what it was about from your reasons there - don't want to be seen to be giving people ideas and still leaving yourself (albeit tenuously) actionable.

Actually Looking through the BL site I see that Tzeentch and Nurgle are actually still available for shelf price and I think Khorne is only just out of stock so there is your reason right there. I've seen on Ebay the Tzeentch and Nurgle ones going for £7.99 starting bid plus a fixed £5 postage fee - the vendor isn't losing money on that one!

For your next challenge though, try to get hold of the Slaanesh book in any format - if you even see it the starting price will be at £30 and I can almost guarantee that it won't stop there....

Anyhow, back to the real import of the post most people who are actually interested in the books themselves don't want the special junk, worried about breaking the wax seal because it makes the book less valuable - utter rubbish. I wouldn't care if the book was printed on toilet paper just so long as they print enough of the things that I get a chance to put one on my shelf!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank goodness for that, I bid on a mislabelled auction for the full collection of the four Liber Chaotica books on eBay the other day and got the set, all four for £34 including postage.

Nice. finished my collection and got two pristine spares that I can sell on again.

Ah well, I'll probably sell the rest of the books on again myself in a short while too, only wanted to read them after all.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

I don't buy much BL stuff since most of the fiction is fairly trashy (with the odd exception). I bought LC Khorne, and fully intended to buy Slaanesh (They are my preferred Chaos Gods...I even have the T-shirts :w00t. For one reason or another, I never got around to it...and then found out they had stopped printing it.

It actually worked in my favour in the end, though - GW released the compendium of all four for the price of two of the original books. In hardback.

So now I look at the Horus Heresy books I've been buying and think "Should I just wait until the end?"

Hostage to (paying a) fortune.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

+ Reply to Thread