Warhammer Fantasy 4 Dummies - Easy way to learn? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    94 (x4)

Warhammer Fantasy 4 Dummies - Easy way to learn?

Hey LO;

Its the voice of DJ A.K. again but this time with a different question, a unique one perhaps,
    but I propose a cunundrum to you all.

I've been playing 40k for about 10 years now and I've gotten so used to the futuristic
    strategy of charging, assaults and just pure fast carnage. On my 22nd birthday I will
    be picking up a warhammer fantasy army for the first time in my entire life.

I took a browse through the rule book and it really seems complicated, but I guess you
    warhammer fantasy players will turn around and ask how to play 40k. So, I'm dedicating
    this thread to help new fantasy players ask questions about the game.

So to start it all off I have a few questions for you;

How would you explain the basic concepts to a WHFB newbie?

How would you try to explain tactics and all the different dice rolls?

And last but not least I would like to take a good look at the basic game. If somebody
    is willing to help me walk through the rulebook I would be glad to learn.

-HONORABLE MENTIONS IN BLITZKRIEG PAINTING COMP-
    "THAT I.G. GUY WITH THAT OVERDEVELOPED TRIGGER FINGER"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

Well, getting a feel of a new game by just checking out the rule book is hard. Come on, how many have learned 40k by just reading the rules?
    Basic concept you say? Hmm, can be hard to explain like this. Basically you could say it is a Strategy Battle game in a world of fantasy and your goal is to collect armies and defeat your opponents (no really, huh?)
    Err... I really can't explain like this, I recommend you go to the nearest GW store or friend that plays fantasy and plays a couple of Border Patrols (500p game, rules can be found at GWs main site) to get the feel of the game. There is no better way to learn than to learn by gaming experience

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

94 (x4)

I've tried all the above listed and I still dont get it. They either get frusterated
    at my cluelessness to WHFB and I end up kicking the GW guys but in 40k so,
    I would really like some help learning online (here) in LO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

It´s really really really hard to learn an game like this by just reading online.
    If I could, I would play a game with you that is really detailed and you can ask whatever you want.
    I have no idea how to learn someone how to play fantasy online

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

Well, I don't know if this will help, but the basic flow of Warhammer (cough, Movementhammer) is as follows:
    • Movement: There are phases like in 40K, but the movement phase is the one that is most different, as you can either move normally, march or charge, not move and charge. And, since combat is usually conducted with ranked regiments, there are many restrictions as to how they can move. I guess you can compare a unit of say spearmen to a modern tank as far as movement goes. It can drive straight forward, no problem, but if it wishes to go slighty left and forward, it'll have to turn slightly, using the tracks to turn in place, then driving forward. or driving forward, turning slightly then driving onwards. And, disregarding Intel radios, radar and such, the tank can only see what's in front of him, so can only engage them. This is facing, another prospect new to 40k'ers, except the odd tank here and there.
    • Shooting: And there is the shooting phase, kinda the same, only you usuallt get penalties to hit with your missile troops (they are using bows and crossbows after all, not targetting computer aided bolters ), and if you march (move further than normal), you can't shoot at all, as the troops are busy walking (and trust me, if you've been in the army, marching as a ranked unit/coloumns isn't easy ).
    • Magic: Then there is also the magic phase, completely new of course, where all the fun can be had, or it can ruin your day completely, heh. Spellcasters all add special dice called power dice to your pool, and these are "used to cast spells, the more dice you use for a spell, the higher the potential for a high roll (high is good, as you have to beat or equal the value the spell has, like 5+ or 11+). But, the opponents spellcaster(s) (if any) have a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel; they can dispel. Same procedure, wizards add dispel dice to the pool (generally less dice than they add power dice, so the opponent has a chance to get off some spells), and he can decide to use some of his dispel dice to roll, and try to best your roll, in which case the spell dissipates harmlessly. This continues until you have no more power dice, or doesn't wish to cast more spells, and the magic phase is over, and all your dice come back the next round (but before that, you assemble your dispel dice, preparing for your enemys' magic phase ).
    • CombatFinally there's the close combat phase (yes, I know the magic phase comes before the shooting phase, but I didn't say that I would do them chronologically, did I? ), and this is were it gets down and dirty. In contrast to 40K, you don't get a bonus attack for charging, you get to strike first, which is a huuge benefit, so I consider charging in fantasy more essential than in 40K (but then I play True Gritting Death Guard)
      Otherwise it's conducted fairly in a similar manner as far as striking blows is concerned. However, making armour saves is adjusted for strikers strength, so a strong monster will make a mockery of armour, reducing the save by a given number. Then, combat resolution is tallied up, and here it differs from 40K alot too, as casualties/wounds inflicted count towards the final tally, as do how many ranks your unit has when entering combat, banners and other various sundry items. This is counted up by both sides, and the one with the highest number is said to "win the combat (round)", and the difference is those two numbers is the Leadership penalty imposed upon the loosing party, which must promptly make a Ld test, to determine if they decide discretion is the better part of valor, and make a run for it, in which case the winning side has a chance to run them down, as in 40K, only it's not decided by int, but the flee/pursuit distance moved.

Hm, That just about covers the (really bare) basics of it, I'm sure I've forgotten lots of things, but if you wonder about something, or I've not made sense here, just ask, and I'll try to clarify.

Good luck with your Fantasy Venture DJ
    Last edited by CryoGenFX; December 6th, 2005 at 08:54.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very interesting ideas. I'll try them and get back to you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

94 (x4)

Have you had any rules that just frustrate the bejezus out of you? How have
    you gotten around them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

As a fairly new player myself I play Khorne but help my brother with his high elf wizardy somethimes it confuses the heck out of me?????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

To get a good feel of what is Fantasy you need to watch the following movies:

1. Gladiator
    2. Braveheart
    3. Rome on HBO
    4. Lord of the Rings
    5. Troy

These will give you a decent feel for the period and show you what it means to rely on the ranks and the man beside you. Fantasy is all about the Field Battles. Armies choose a piece of open ground. Line up accross from one another. Start closing on each other. Then a large FURBALL ensues!
    40K: Tyranid, Necron, Space Wolves
    Fantasy: Dark Elves, Lizardmen, Orcs & Goblins, Dwarves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

Hm, I think they got the setting down, as I understand it's the semantics of the game that is confusing to a 40K'er, right?
    Well, I'm both (and more), and yes, sometimes both systems throw up weird little annoyances, that'll frustrate the heck out of me, but when I play, it's usually at my club, and we have hands on help from our very own outrider (no GW shops where I live), so we just pitch it to him, and he's very helpful in demonstrating and explaining why it's so and so, and that it is actually so and so. So, experienced help at a club is the best way to learn the game beyond the basics. I'm saying basics here, cause not all places have people willing to tutor a complete blank
    So, grab a few minis for you and your missus, say a unit each, and try out some movement, and combat. Many issues will likely have ben dealt with here earlier (search), or the excellent link provided by Kuffy in the Fantasy section is also good.
    Then, when you have some hands on experience, branch out into a hero, maybe a wizard, to try some spells. As you do these things, things will often become more and more apparent, and you'll be ready to advance "to the next level"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast