Christmas...garghh! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    147 (x5)

Yes folks, its that time of year once again, where we all curse and swear for cash as we attempt to get something our family and loved ones will like. After several years, however, you've got everything that they will like. So, you're on to stupid things, like coat hangers and candles.

"Here you are!"

"Wow. Thanks Dave, a candle. How useful. We dont have electricity in our house..."

So in order to save my family/friends/girlfriend the trouble, I put to you the following challenge:

Put me together an IG army that can be bought relatively easily by myself, a person with very limited cashflow. I'd like to get the real core of the army (HQ squad plus two smaller platoon commands) this christmas so all i've got left to get is a load of guardsmen squads.

The following conditions are as such:

1) The army as I envision it is a group of hardened veteran fighters that are the remnants of an infantry company devastated by war, and hence I'd like some of the doctrines to go with it. (Hardened Fighters, Iron Discipline, etc) Bear in mind I need to get the codex, but at least I have the old one as some form of guidance, so I'd like an idea of the feel of the army with those disciplines that you give.

2) The army should be based primarily around its basic infantry squads, as these are the more cost effective models for my cash.

3) Not too heavy on vehicles as that means a lot of expenditure I do not have, but the occasional autocannon armed sentinel is a welcome addition.

4) If possible the army should cost under £40, but a stretch to £50 is ok.

Those who provide the best solution will get my skills as a fluff writer for their army and probably a short story based on their army as well. Go forth, and win!

"It fits like clothes made out of wasps!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

147 (x5)

Note that I'd like a shopping list with suggested doctrines,not a full army list!

Already had a PM about that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok.

i would suggest that you get:

hq boxed set - £15

2 officers - £6

20 men - £15

i would suggest that you use the following doctrines:

die- hards, sharpshooters, hardened fighters, close order drill, iron discipline- show they are experienced and are very disciplined as they have fought many battles. the people left are the people who have suvived these battles so are the best of the best. it also shows that they know how to use the equipment properly and that they know that working as a team saves lives.

when the army gets bigger i would suggest changing one of these doctrines (probably die-hards) for veterans. this would then mean you could use 3 squads of veterans and this would fit your fluff very well.
    Want a website built to show off your miniatures? We recommend www.reaperwebdesign.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could sell you a new IG army for aroung £40

2 officers - £6

Cadian shock troops - £15

Impereal hellhound - £25

hevey wepons teams - £20

Tech preist - £4

would set you back ... *thinks* ... £70 i think All you need to get is the codex
    if your intrested pm me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

147 (x5)

Come on, folks. You cant let Kommissar win that fantastic prize of story and fluff for his army!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x8)

Here's one if you're into converting:

2x Cadian Shock Troops (20 models) @ £30.00
    1x Cadian Imperial Guard Heavy Weapon Teams (3 teams) @ £20.00

For a grand total of £50.00 . Yes, you cleverly observed the lack of officer models. You can easily convert some guardsmen from that box set thing, throw some extra bits on em, maybe model a cape or some other interesting feature with green stuff, give em a fancy paintjob, and voila: you have officers. Gets you plenty of models for ze cash I'd say. I also can't imagine you not needing heavy weapons, so you might as well get a bunch at once .

For ze doctrines: Iron Discipline, Sharpshooters maybe, definately Veterans. The rest depends on your fluff, you could use light infantry or xeno hunters for instance, but that depends on the exact background.

Btw, double-posting eh? Sneaky git .
    Ze titles yez...
    When in doubt,
    Smite.
    <SilverMane> I would trust BID with my life
    <SilverMane> HEIL BID!
    <Adrian-> BiD is Omnipotent; All Knowing, All Powerful!
    <Scary_Troopers> I see you as an optimist, GT. : D

But what of the midgets!?
    =]Front in favour of Moderation of the Harshest kind.[=

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

147 (x5)

Well, im trying to make it very much like the Redcoats of the 19th century,not much in the way of backup but with devastating volley fire from loads of lasguns. But I certainly intend to have a few special weapons like melta guns for tank hunting.

In all honesty its another case of cost effectiveness. I may not decide to go with Guard but instead for BFG or =][=, but as with all things, i want to see what I could get for my money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, you guys kick around retail prices as if there is no E-bay or bartertown.org.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

147 (x5)

My parents (people im going to screw the cash out of) dont fancy paying online with their credit cards, so Ebay and Bartertown are effectively out of the running. And besides, on Ebay, you can never be too sure of the quality of what you&#39;re buying, buying new is far more consistent.

Closed Thread