GW murdered my baby! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!


Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45
  1. #1
    The Voice of Reason RJSuperfreaky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Age
    42
    Posts
    756
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x3)

    GW murdered my baby!

    OK, so that really didn't happen.

    Actually, I started this thread to encourage people to stop GW bashing all the time. Look, I realize that this can be an expensive hobby. I also realize that the prices have been rising a lot recently. I also realize that by definition, we gamers are a rather...particular lot. After all, we follow a hobby that essentially requires you to construct and build your own gaming pieces which are available from only one distributor. Could you imagine what would happen to soccer ( or football as you say it across the pond) if the players had to sew and color their own (soccer)balls?

    Anyway, my point is that while not perfect, I think GW is a fine company, and does its best to meet the needs of its loyal patrons (no, I don't work for GW). They have always been kind and trustworthy in my dealings with them over the past 15 years. Furthermore, they have been growing stronger in that time, while a myriad of other gaming companies have come and gone belly-up. You don't like that the Ork codex hasn't been updated? Imagine what it would be like if the game was no longer supported at all. At least our company continues to make new minis! Try to gripe at anyone who was a Ral Partha fan (poor guys).

    So while you may have had some bad single experiences, try to give ol' GW a break. After all, I guarantee the amount of time you've spent enjoying their product far outweighs any negative run-in.

    Keep on smilin!:w00t:

    Marion: You're not the man I knew ten years ago.
    Indiana: It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.


    For the last time, there are
    NO FEMALE SPACE MARINES!!!!!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

  3. #2
    Dancing Peanuts? You bet! Robizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Plymouth
    Posts
    1,350
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x4)

    Of course. I try to whine as little as possible, but wherever there is a great game, there are hordes of whiners.

    People playing BF2 are constantly whining about Bunny hopping/dolphin diving etc etc etc
    People playing CS are constantly whining about just about everything, despite it being one of the most popular online games ever, they still manage to play it for a good 120 hours a week.

  4. #3
    Member Sturm Jäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Out of my Back pack!
    Age
    37
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    4 (x1)

    I live in a territory the size of the whole UK and there is no GW in it.. Imagine that... The closest is 1500km away...


    enjoy your games workshop.. I wish i could..
    "There is no knowledge, that is not power"

    ANZAC CLAN

  5. #4
    Drills baby. Da Mighty Camel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Eskisltuna, Sweden
    Age
    27
    Posts
    6,481
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

    Well, there are some things that I like and dislike about GW.
    But I will not whine about that stuff here. GW is a great company, the problem is they have some of their focus on the wrong things (like only supporting the selling armies) and should try to take the whole hobby in one firm grip instead of focusing on one game at a time.
    Of course, you will hear more whining (especially from me) if they drop the minis to the specialist games.

  6. #5
    Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ronneby (Sweden)
    Age
    43
    Posts
    4,133
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

    I think this is a fantastic hobby and the eew times I've been in contact with GW they have been grreat to me. But like Sturm Jäger I'm quite far from where things happens.
    The magazine is nice reading and I enjoy their models and the wide range of parts.

    As far as companies goes they are really good, in my book.
    The more whining I hear the more I like them...

  7. #6
    Son of LO Silver Wings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    England.
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,109
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

    I enjoy whining. The more I can whine the more fun i'm having.

    However, big price increases beyond inflation and any cost increases bite. As GW get bigger thier prices should decrease as they get economies of scale and develop more efficient production techniques.

    Why are prices high at the moment, LotR. Its a cash cow thats been milked to death. Last 3 vets nights I havent seen a single game of it or purchase of it. GW keep on thinking its a good idea to re-release the whole range? no. Its not a good plan.

    Plus I now use WD to wipe my.....

    And your baby might not have died but GW ran over my cat.
    Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    245
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    2 (x1)

    GW is not a good company at all. In fact, I would go so far to say they are one of the worst gaming companies out there, much worse than Wizards, White Wolf, etc.

    Why?

    -They don't bother to proofread. They have a virtual monopoly, and have never bothered to proofread. Ever. Want proof? Look at any book they've put out.
    -40k (can't speak for other systems) has millions of holes. Millions of rules conflicts exist throughout the game, and players always have to guess, or whatever. They don't want to take the effort to make everything fully integrated, make keywords with set definitions ('modifier', for example), make everything seamless. Why don't they want to? They don't have to, and they know it. Wizards of the Coast has a much harder time with this, because they release two new sets every year, and have to make sure every single card fits in seamlessly with the thousands of other cards they have released previously. This works great, for the most part, and when they do make mistakes, they have a system to fix it. GW messes up, and their system includes making up an FAQ that further adds to the confusion.
    -They are price gougers. Although it is their right to raise prices, they're doing so past what I think would be fair.
    -The only contact R&D has with the players is releasing the odd article to hype up the release of something new. Wizards, on the other hand, releases several articles every week, answers mail, answers player's questions, and, overall, has a much better contact with it's player base. And it's their legal and moral right to sue Rancoured_Elf, who is, by definition, a theif so anyone who brings that up has merely a moot point.
    -They bully shops that carry their product - setting prices, disallowing them to sell seperate bitz, etc. Again, it is their right, however I think this is unfair. I know at least one shop that stopped carrying GW products because of this.

    And that's my rant on why GW sucks. I'm sure there's some other reasons, but those are the ones that I could think of.

    And to get back off-topic, I like playing 40k, even though the prices are high and the system is full of holes.

  9. #8
    Senior Member Baratos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Yuggoth (I am a mushroom!)
    Age
    26
    Posts
    716
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    4 (x2)

    This reminds of the Halo 2 community, except here the whining actually has some merit. I have seen people curse Bungie for making Halo 2 such a bad game, then a bit down the page curse someone else for insulting the game.
    ________________W/L/T
    Hive Fleet Furi Kuri 32/21/4
    Tomb Kings: 8/5/2

    Im in ur Halo, killin ur covernantz

  10. #9
    Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Chester uk
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,863
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

    but GW are a totally different animal than Wizards of the coast of any of those other companies. They made up their mind a long time ago to act like more of a business than just a small time games manufacturer, and the situation today is the product of that attitude. Personally I like having GW shops on high streets easily accessible. If people want more hard core sci-fi or fantasy fare then there are plenty of games/manufacturers etc out there to cater for them. Kudos to GW for trying to make it more mainstream. Ive always had good service from them in their shops and online and have no complaints
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

    He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

  11. #10
    Thread Killer! slorak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    2,642
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Strong
    -They don't bother to proofread. They have a virtual monopoly, and have never bothered to proofread. Ever. Want proof? Look at any book they've put out.
    First off what does a "virtual monopoly" have anything to do with the ability to proofread. Adding this comment does nothing for your reasoning. Rampant errors in print exist in just about any company. Wizards of the Coast is very bad at this as well. I agree that more care should be addressed in proofreading from the start however that doesn't make it a bad company. They do release errata and corrections to their website which is more than some companies do.

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Strong
    -40k (can't speak for other systems) has millions of holes. Millions of rules conflicts exist throughout the game, and players always have to guess, or whatever. They don't want to take the effort to make everything fully integrated, make keywords with set definitions ('modifier', for example), make everything seamless. Why don't they want to? They don't have to, and they know it. Wizards of the Coast has a much harder time with this, because they release two new sets every year, and have to make sure every single card fits in seamlessly with the thousands of other cards they have released previously. This works great, for the most part, and when they do make mistakes, they have a system to fix it. GW messes up, and their system includes making up an FAQ that further adds to the confusion.
    This is ironic - It is ok for WOTC to release errata (according to you) but if GW does it is looked at by you negatively. There are not millions of holes in the game. Exaggeration isn't helping your case here. Sorry. Also GW has several outlets of communication where they have asked people to comment on rules, etc. so you can hardly suggest that they don't care what people think.

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Strong
    -They are price gougers. Although it is their right to raise prices, they're doing so past what I think would be fair.
    The key word here is "think" what you think is fair vs. the large and complicated matter of pricing things are 2 different things. Also I would be interested from you and others that feel that they are over priced to come up with a concrete example that shows that they are so much more expensive than other related things. Would we all want lower prices - sure! However the prices are not out of range for other related things.

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Strong
    -The only contact R&D has with the players is releasing the odd article to hype up the release of something new. Wizards, on the other hand, releases several articles every week, answers mail, answers player's questions, and, overall, has a much better contact with it's player base. And it's their legal and moral right to sue Rancoured_Elf, who is, by definition, a theif so anyone who brings that up has merely a moot point.
    As noted above there are places to share your comments and suggestions with GW (see their own message boards). I seem to recall seeing lots of articles on the Games workshop site. I have always received an answer to an e-mail sent to GW especially when they were doing the rules answers (I don't believe they are still doing this) so I really don't see what you are basing the comparrision on. Wizards of the Coast has a much broader range of material so it could be expected that you would probably find more frequent updates on their site.

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Strong
    -They bully shops that carry their product - setting prices, disallowing them to sell seperate bitz, etc. Again, it is their right, however I think this is unfair. I know at least one shop that stopped carrying GW products because of this.
    Know your facts before making random comments. Games Workshop does allow independent stores to sell bitz. I have bought some from Art's Bargains. Also as for setting prices that is ridiculous as well. Independent stores can sell GW stuff at a discount. The only stipulation is in regards to advertising this online. I don't know if you have noticed but most independent stores that still sell GW stuff usually offer a 800 number to call in your orders and still offer a 20-25% discount.

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Strong
    And that's my rant on why GW sucks. I'm sure there's some other reasons, but those are the ones that I could think of.

    And to get back off-topic, I like playing 40k, even though the prices are high and the system is full of holes.
    Everyones entitles to their rants but you will be taken much more seriously if you include facts in your comments. Being an alarmist just for the hell of it gets you nowhere.

    Cheers,

    -Mike

    Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts