Magnets and Models - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    126 (x4)

Magnets and Models

Hello all,

Before I start, I feel I should let everyone know this is not advertisement. I just want feedback so I can see if there is a market for an idea a friend and I came up with.

After getting frustrated at looking at the rising cost of collecting a WH40k army, I stumbled on a few posts on this forum about using magnets for various armaments so that you can have multiple configurations of model without actually buying multiple models. The Tau would really seem to benefit from this.

The Idea:
    We were thinking that we maybe able to sell models that have the magnets pre-mounted. We would simply purchase models from GW and then add the magnets with very little or no assembly, then resale them at slightly marked up value to account for the magnets and our time, possibly $US10 over the GW price.

Example:
    I will personally be doing this for my Space Marines. I plan to purchase a Predator as well as the extra spru that makes a Rhino into a Whirlwind. The total cost for this off the GW website would be $US52. We would charge around $US65 (as opposed to the $US80 it would take to purchase both models). All upgrades (i.e. smoke launchers) would also be removable.

Would people be interested in this? And if so, which models in which armies would be best suited for this purpose? We are currently only familiar with the Tau and the Space Marines. Is $US10 to much or would you pay even more? We haven’t even tried this yet so if people think this would be a waste of time I am open to criticism as well.

Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    -61 (x0)

I'm not sure how well your idea would work on a large scale, but I do know people locally that will magnetize models for money--so the theory, at least, seems sound. I don't know what rates are reasonable--I magnetize my own stuff, so I'm not sure I'd pay for the service.

It's certainly an idea, though. It's harder than it looks to get those magnets in there (my poor land raider needs a lot of work before its Hurricaine bolters will look natural) and it's really cool when its done well. I'll bet you could make some money off of this if you could find a way to market it well, or had a large local player population and could rely entirely on word-of-mouth.

Um...that's a good question. Where am i??
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im not sure what the exchange rate is, but Games Workshop prices are already very high. The most I would want to pay is about ÂŁ5 more than retail price.

Other than that you would see al ot of business from me!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

126 (x4)

I didn't think to include other currency in my initial post, but $US10 would be roughly
    5.75 pounds
    13.50 $au
    11.50 $ca
    8.35 euro

Sorry for that.
    Tim Wright

-John Gilmore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x1)

I had thought about the possibility of doing magnetized stuff. Heck I even bought the domain name www.magnetminis.com (did you know that a magnetmini is a term for hot rod cars? Hmmm) Anywho, it seemed that there hasn't been a large amount of people selling magnetized stuff on like ebay or whatnot.

The ones that did really well were the special characters that were also well painted. I saw a magnetized ultramarine captain guy (eldar player here) that went for like 100-300 US dollars.

It could work, give it a shot.

As for me, I love the magnets and use them a lot, especially on for my heavy weapons multi-choice items.

Aaron
    Generic Minis - My Blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sincerely doubt that you would get enough business to make it worth your time. For 10$, anyone can buy enough magnets to magnetize an entire army. And, speaking from experience, magnet mounting doesn't add much time to the building process.

You can use magnets very well with SM, Tau, and Nids. I can't comment on the other armies.

If you do this, and you pull it off successfully, I would love to hear about it.
    Good Luck!
    When you can't run, you crawl. And when you can't crawl, find someone to carry you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can i jsut ask what types of magnet do you use for warhammer models, and where can i get them from?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

126 (x4)

I ordered Rare Earth Neodymium Magnets from www.amazingmagnets.com . Their website says they do have international shipping. But you maybe able to find these magnets for sale somewhere in the UK. Just search for neodymium magnets.

As a side note, I got directions on how to do this from this article:
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ad.php?t=37799 (Space Marines and Rare Earth Magnets?)
    (I think A1parts is a Canadian magnet supplier)
    Tim Wright

-John Gilmore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, i have decided that i definately wil be trying this, perhaps with my Dark Eldar Lord. I am definatley going to need to get some of these magnets. Although i think that the magnets might have to be smaller on my Dark eldar coz they are a lot smaller than The Tau things that he was doing it for. Perhamps 1/16'' or 4/16'' or about that size
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    -61 (x0)

I second the AmazingMagnets.com suggestion--that's where I got mine, and they rock.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast