Is Games Day worth it? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x2)

Is Games Day worth it?

I'm thinking about going to Games Day Baltimore (since it's all of 30-45 minutes away.) However, honestly, I have no clue what I would do there. Is it worth the $40 just to show up, wander around, and maybe grab a pickup game or two? More importantly, is it worth the day? Money is cheap, but time... time is expensive.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x2)

After going to Gamesday Baltimore now for 4 years in a row I find it still worth the money to go. I always have enjoyed going to Gamesday in Baltimore and having a blast. I plan to go this year again also So yes, buy tickets now and go

I have usually walked around the place and look at all the ni9ce painted armies and conversions. Last Year I was able to bring my warhammer stuff and get a game in. But, in the end I personally love to walk and wander around the place and see whats happening. Also, there is alot of clubs were you can play their games that they make up and whatnot. THere is also a Paint and Take, Scenery version of this, Speed Painting competition, etc. GW makes sure that no one gets bored at the conversion.
    Last edited by Nemy; February 22nd, 2006 at 16:34.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Psychotic, Soda Addicted, Level-Headed Christian Friendly, Sexy Japanese Girl of LO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x2)

i live in connecticut. would it be worth it to drive all that way for one day? i think it is because this is the last year i can enter the youngbloods competition. starts on the 14th and my b-day is the 25th.

Remember, if someone helps you with anything, REP THEM!

Quote Originally Posted by 10th Lyran View Post
    "Wow, that's awesome, I wish my leg looked like that!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x4)

I went to Gamesday in Atlanta last year, and plan on going again on the 18 of March.

From last years experience, I've gathered that:

a. The pickup games are usually rigged for one army to win (much in a similar vein to Bat Reps in White Dwarf), so aren't incredibly entertaining to a vetran.
    b. The tournament seems like a novel idea, but it'll be all you do all day, so you can kinda forget picking up the new sets that'll be scamped up at soon as the doors open (terminator boxes went in 20 minutes flat, some people buying as many as 10 boxes of them!)
    c. Usually, the main attraction is Forge World, because there is no shipping charges if you buy the item right there.
    and Finally, d. The mega battle is usually a big attraction with some sort of 'life sized model' at attract. But most likely, there'll be some numb nutz on a megaphone blaring nonsense into the crowd.

Why am I going to this event again?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

I wish I could go to any games-day anywhere.
    Fluffy furrballs!! I live overseas so 'tis but a dream:cry:
    I will however try very hard to make it to an LO meet sometime

edit-- in short what I'm trying to say is if you have the opportunity to experience it and you can pay the money, then go.
    Last edited by Dodge; February 22nd, 2006 at 19:14.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All I have to say is I have my tournament tickets for Games Day Atlanta and Games Day Chicago and I can not wait ! WHOO AH !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

52 (x2)

d. The mega battle is usually a big attraction with some sort of 'life sized model' at attract. But most likely, there'll be some numb nutz on a megaphone blaring nonsense into the crowd.
    Hey those guys are awesome THey only do that to get people involve and to have us show our appreciation for the hobby. I always love watching, a glimps, of what they are doing exactly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Psychotic, Soda Addicted, Level-Headed Christian Friendly, Sexy Japanese Girl of LO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

The demons aside I have enjoyed the LA games day every year so far. I must confess I am a bit of a fan boy and quite enjoy their seminars. The first two years I went I really only walked around, bought some bitz, entered the demons, and watched the various seminars. Last year I missed the conversion contest but did get to play a bit of Lord of the Rings.

I think the highlights (at least for me) have been the outstanding designs of the various game tables (though they were recylcled last year from the prior year), the amazing models in the Golden Demon contest, and even some of the wacky club games.

The limited edition model usually can be seen sold on ebay right after for at least $20 so you can re-coup some of your money if you want to, otherwise I think it is money well spent. It is about the same amount that you would spend on a concert and lasts the whole day.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

+ Reply to Thread