Where do you find the "older" players? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where do you find the "older" players?

Im an on again/off again player of 40k and I'd like to know where the "older" player finds people his or her age to game against. I've been to the holy mecca of GW in Bellevue (on Factoria) and I think the oldest person in there was 16. Nothing against people who are in high school or younger but Im 27... Or is my problem that Im an old guy playing a kids game? I just feel like Michael Jackson when I frequent places where people are all 10 years younger than me.

BTW - My friends refer to this hobby as "playing with my dolls" so there is no help from my immediate peers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

The Orange Grey Knight MiketehFox's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x8)

I think age is relevant, for instance, I know some older peoiple who aren't very mature, yet I also know some youger people who are very mature.

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    242 (x6)

From my experience, it seems that many older players do not game in GW stores. This I put down to the fact that once you hit a certain age, you start to earn your own money and are able to afford to rent a hall for a club or even have space in your own house to have friends around.

The thing about this is its very hard to find these clubs unless you know about them. I have too suggestions, keep your eyes out in your local newsagent, if you see anyone pawing the newest issue of WD, go up and ask them if they play and if so where do they go.
    The second is to do the same in your GW, if there is someone in there buying models ask him. You could also ask the store staff if they know any local clubs.........

hope that helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

As an "older" player, I dont partcularly enjoy playing in GW stores, the stink of sweat, the habbit of the nurglings (no offence to anyone here) to turn up and pick up my minis and maul them without asking, or just generally distract is damn annoying.

I used to use a non GW store which was a mite better, but not hugely

That closed so nowerdays it is mostly at houses, I use a GCN club, but they meet on saturdays and that conflicts with the kids soccer, being team manager, it would be bad form for me not to be there, so this is limited to the summer hols.

The only other suggestion I qwould make is find out when vets nights are
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My local GW is a mix of older and younger players, and the store is fortunate enough to have a staff that is not at all shy about yelling at or banning the kids that constantly make life difficult for the more serious gamers.

I agree with what others are saying in this thread, though. Try and find a private gaming group. I'd start asking around at the local GW and rogue trader stores. They may even have fliers up there.

Also, there's nothing preventing you from starting up your own adult gamer's group. I'm sure you're not the only person in your area that's tired of dealing with all the children at the stores.
    Last edited by Variant; March 3rd, 2006 at 15:27.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go to the GW veteran's nights, everyone over 16, nice range of ages. No annoying kids!
    And everyone is there for the exact same reason you are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MiketehFox
    I think age is relevant,
    Irrelevant or relative?

I enjoy games against my friends kids when he teams up with them, but if you're under 21 I really don't want to play you.

I suggest you find yourself a gaming group or club. If one isn't in your area start one.
    My blast template of S10 AP2 will toast all terminators.

Iron Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could always try looking for historical gaming groups. They are usually a more mature lot. Once you've made their aquaintances you could ask around to find out if anybody plays 40k. You may have to get into DBA or something to execute this plan.

Good luck, I was in the same boat when I first moved to Edmonton last year. Not much fun, but I've managed to find a fairly regular group of 3 guys to play with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm only 13 and it kinda freaks me out when i see older people playing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x2)

I got into the game rather late (I was 26) so I can sympathize. I play with some friends I knew from my university gaming club that played and not a single one of them goes to the GW stores to play anymore. I keep waffling on if I feel up to trying out a visit to a store for a game, or if I'm better avoiding the whole feeling like Michael Jackson thing.

Try local gaming stores if you have any. There are two that I go to and one is very often filled with young kids, and smells of BO mixed with Wendy's. ...I don't go there very much anymore. The other often has a bit of an older crowd and I've thought about hauling my butt up there to play some day. If you poke around enough, you may find something that works.

Another option is gaming clubs as people have mentioned. You can look around online on various Warhammer/Wargame forums and ask around. There are 40k and fantasy communities on Live Journal, and that may help. There are also some area based gaming communities that you might want to check out. Yet another option is to check out the local universities for gaming clubs. Yeah you'll be getting 18-22 year old people largely, but they do tend to be better behaved than most high school kids. If nothing else, the dead baby jokes are a little better. ...then again, I think I'm still 21 at heart (or 12 if you ask the girlfriend. )

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast