How to pronounce... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to pronounce...

If you have need to know how to pronounce something, ask it here.

Right Here

Since this is a pretty hot topic starter, so it should have its own home thread. It should really have its own forum.

Blackhat.

Anyway...the latest was Vindicare.

Pronounced = Vin-da-care

Andrew-

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

How about Pariah then?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Per - Eye - Uh
    Bolter Blasting Blizzard = Victory

BringerOfStormsGallery

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    -61 (x0)

What in the world? Pariah is an actual word. Check your dictionary--it has a pronunciation guide in it =P.

(for referrence it's p&-'rI-& or puh-rye-uh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe there is a website out there with Words and their meanings...

I think it's a book too.

Seems like there is one...

I use it all the time...

I can't remem...

The Dictionary.

www.dictionary.com

Try the search on that site. If you can't find anything there, post the word here.

Hope that will help.

Andrew-
    Last edited by GamesmasterZ; March 21st, 2006 at 18:34. Reason: I didn't really edit anything. Although, I may use the Edit option for my subliminal messages... All Hail the Gamesmaster!

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Then that makes this topic pointless does it not?

If you did a quick 5 minute google search you could find out how to pronounce anything, regardless of the word.

I was being slightly foolish to ask that question but still, you have provided your self with a reason for getting this thread closed.

For all you know I may not of knew that pariah is a real word, english may not be my first language so your sarcasm is a unwelcome.

I commend BringerOfStorms and bean for being polite even though the question was foolish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your accusing me of sarcasm is futile. There was no sarcasm in my last post. Sarcasm would be saying...

"You know, you can look things up in a book. You know, those things that sort them scribbles and symbols into words."

That sir, is sarcasm.

What I did was called comedy. While it may not be funny for you right now, I gurantee it will be funny in exactly six hours and seventy-four minutes. When you sleep, you will shoot straight up in your bed and start to giggle. While your giggle begins to erupt into a hard-on laughter, you will remember my name. GamesmasterZ. He who made you laugh. Six hours and seventy-four minutes after this post was made.

You're welcome.

Moving on. I'll ask a polite question.

What is your first language? Is it English? If it is, you should have never made your statement
    For all you know I may not of knew that pariah is a real word, english may not be my first language so your sarcasm is a unwelcome.
    For all YOU know, English is not MY first language. So, in reverse, you have insulted me and rejected my help with trying to help you pronounce a word that you posted in MY thread.

If you weren't trying to get a real answer and were just trying to take up space, then your post will be classified as spam. I think spamming in a topic is against the forum rules.

Either way. You've turned up in the wrong.

By the way, you're welcome for the help on pronouncing the word.

Oh, and if you want to talk about pointless threads that can be solved by looking at reference material, I think you should just quit this board. For everything on this board can be answered by looking at a Codex, Army Book, or any other book/internet site or even just talking to people like a normal person.

Sir, I believe you are defeated.

Andrew-

Any more 'how to pronounce' things?
    Last edited by GamesmasterZ; March 21st, 2006 at 19:26. Reason: BOLDacious!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-61 (x0)

I don't know, I don't think the thread is totally worthless. Things like Vindicare (vin-duh-cair--goodness, I wish I knew how to get a computer to output the actual symbols...)
    aren't actually words and have pronuciations that are pretty up for grabs.

Honestly, it's pretty reasonable to pronounce Vindicare vIn-duh-car-eh. That's how it'd be in most Romantic languages, anyway. Given that it was written first by English speakers, though, it seems most likely that it is pronounced in the English fashion.

Anyway, the point is that there are legitimate pronunciation questions to be asked, even if some of them are actually words you could go look up in a dictionary.

Oh, and if you want to talk about pointless threads that can be solved by looking at reference material, I think you should just quit this board. For everything on this board can be answered by looking at a Codex, Army Book, or any other book/internet site or even just talking to people like a normal person.
    That's a bloody good point, actually.

Anyway, as far as pronunciation goes, Culexus is a much more interesting conundrum than Vindicare. I've heard it both as a kuh-leks-us and a su-leks-us (su as in the word 'sue').

Also, the Tau title 'ui I've hear both as u-I (you-ee) and wee.

Personally, I'd go with the k and the schwa (uh) sounds in Culexus and the u and I sounds in 'ui.
    Last edited by Bean; March 21st, 2006 at 19:22.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a point I feel I should add.

When you use the Dictionary, you'll only get one way to pronouce the word(If the word is an 'actual' word).

Here, when asking people how to pronounce the word, you'll get a few different ways. That way, you can choose the one you think is right.

This way would be called Option.

Which, you have the option to spam on my thread or not. Although you have already spammed on my thread, I'm giving you the option to not do it again before I report the post to the Moderators.

Which do you choose?

Andrew-
    Last edited by GamesmasterZ; March 21st, 2006 at 20:42.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-61 (x0)

You really need to chill, Gamemaster. No one's spamming your thread as much as you are.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast