Pro painted armies, unsportsmanlike? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x3)

Pro painted armies, unsportsmanlike?

As someone who has never been very good at painting, i've thought about having my models pro painted. Of course, paying for it has never been something i've had the money or desire to do.

Another reason is that I've had some people tell me, and read letters in white dwarf, that some people consider it unfair. Some people have said that it is as good as cheating in a tournament, as many tournaments factor appearance in.

What are your thoughts on this issue?

Edit- I came to this hobby to play, and I've never had a real interest in the artistic aspects.

p.s. I'm not sure if this is in the right forum, I thought it would be a bit of a general opinion question so I didn't put it in painting.

win/draw/loss
    76/13/4

Ask yourself why in the world would you trust a win loss record? Playing them yourself is the only way to tell.

The true joy in the game is playing down to the last model, no matter the odds.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    695 (x8)

I sell armies... (one in my sig)

I see it as promoting the hobby and giving people something they really want. All my customers have been very happy with what i've sent them, and i've never had any complaints.

I've never heard of it being unfair or cheating... maybe at tournament level, perhaps it is. I think people are entitled to buy and sell what ever they choose too.

I do take offense to people claiming credit for something that isn't theirs though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x4)

One should be judged for one's own work. If an army is being judged for its appearance, then the person who modelled and painted it should be given all the proper credit.
    Why do the survivors remain anonymous -- as if cursed -- while the dead are revered? Why do we cling to what we lose while we ignore what we still hold?
    Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place, and stand there still in each moment of our lives.

--Duiker, "Deadhouse Gates"

-Ostsol

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    695 (x8)

agreed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

I also paint predominantly to sell. My views are as such:

A tournament is not a painting contest. GW has their own painting contest that is separate from their tournaments. From what I understand the painting aspect of the tournament is only one small part of several criteria. It is good to be honest and not take credit for something you didn't do - but I don't see a problem with it. Also I don't believe that there is anything in the rules as of now stating that you must paint your own army. If I am wrong it would be nice to see official information on this.

The real problem you will find - especially if you don't want to spend the money - is getting a good painted army. You will find most decent armies going for well over $1000. Sometimes several thousand dollars.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

i dont see anything wrong with it, personally i enjoy painting as much as gaming so i would never buy a pro-painted army (as nice as they are) but as long as you disclose that you didnt paint it if you enter it into a tournament then i dont see any problem with it!
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x2)

If you're going to worry about what other people are going to think, then don't buy one. You're bound to find someone that's going to get their undies in a bunch over it.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with it. Buy one, play with it, who cares? If I was to purchase a pre-painted (yes, I mean to use the e) army, I wouldn't really waste the breath to make sure people knew I didn't paint it. If someone said it looked nice, I'd thank them. If they wanted details, I'd let them know I bought it. BFD.
    You play your game, I'll play mine.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

695 (x8)

Just want to say i prefer painting and gaming ove rthe making money side of it. But sometimes i grow bored of an army and need the space. So i sell, so someone else can enjoy the army as much as me.

Makes sence someone else can use and love the army instead of it siting on a shelf gathering dust becasue i've gone off a paint scheme.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im fine with it because im thinking of commision:p. But also aslong as yo DONT take the credit its fine by me. Just my 2 cents
    Your Signature:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth
    Just want to say i prefer painting and gaming ove rthe making money side of it. But sometimes i grow bored of an army and need the space. So i sell, so someone else can enjoy the army as much as me.

Makes sence someone else can use and love the army instead of it siting on a shelf gathering dust becasue i've gone off a paint scheme.

I don't see anything wrong with making money with what you enjoy! I am sure we can all agree that for the most part it isn't enough to live one. I am happy to make enough to pay for my hobby and maybe buy a little extra.

The big big reason I paint for hire is because it gives me the opportunity to paint stuff that I would normally not paint on my own initiative. Sure you sometimes get stuck in a paint job you don't necessarily want to do but I have painted several models that I have really enjoyed for others. I really like satisfaction of hearing from them that they look much better in person than they do in the pictures!

Now if only I could hurry up and paint an army for myself (rather than odd ball groupings) I might get the chance to play a bit more often! One can hope right!????

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast