funny rumor going about - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

funny rumor going about

Hey, i've heard a strange rumor going about and I'd like some facts to either support or disband it before i get my hopes up:sleep:

Apparently my friend believes that GW is coming across a new and highly effective way of mass producing their miniatures. In addition, this new method of production will cut the time required to make GW's products in half. In time he believes that prices may drop to as low as 50%.

Now of course it sounds complety "wack" if you'll pardon my english but it is a shinning hope in the dark world of $$$.

Anybody know anything about this?

"Heresy is like a garden weed, it won't stop feeding until you... BURN THE WHOLE DAMN GARDEN WITH A FLAMER, BURN IT, BURN IT TO HELL!!!!!" "Is there a wittle puppy in the garden? ITS A DAEMON! BURN IT!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

What you are probably referring to is the newer method they are working with that allows them to design the figures entirely digital. Apparently there is an eldar tank? coming out this summer that was partially designed this way.

I have heard that it will cut down the time but I wouldn't expect a tremendous amount of realeases over what is currently done. As for price decreases I would doubt they would be substantial. You may be cutting down the design time but I am sure the molding process isn't going to be that much changed.

Another thing they mentioned was this technology was new and may not be fully utilized for several years as they work all the kinks out. So i wouldn't expect these new kinds of models to show up in the next few months...

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your friend is half right about this, i think.
    altho it's not really the producing but the devellopment of models that is new. Before, sculptors made models 3 times the size of the actual model. scnaned it, and made the moulds for it.
    The revolution is from using a 3d deisgn program to create the model, speeding things up. It allows also to make more complex models, and flaws in the design can be corrected with the click of the mouse, rather then that an artist has to start all over again. the new eldar grav platforms are said to be the first made in this way.
    there is an article about it in the newest White Dwarf nr 316 ( the one with the giant on the front).
    MvG, vindicator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've heard something about the possibility of Forgeworld models been produced in plastic instead of resin, which would cut the cost of things like Baneblades a lot if they did it. Not heard anything about GW's main range's though.

I don't think anything has been confirmed yet though, and I'm not going to hold my breath over this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by windbourne
    I've heard something about the possibility of Forgeworld models been produced in plastic instead of resin, which would cut the cost of things like Baneblades a lot if they did it. Not heard anything about GW's main range's though.

I don't think anything has been confirmed yet though, and I'm not going to hold my breath over this.
    The information they sorta revealed at games day was that they were toying around with some of the forge world stuff to see if it could be done. Not that they were definitely going to produce and sell them but to see if the technology made it possible. Hence the whole plastic baneblade rumor. They mentioned that the baneblade was one of the models they were using to test this technology.

cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x3)

I have to agree with Slorak. I don't understand why making the units cheaper would keep GW from continuing to price gouge us. They may reduce the cost a bit but I doubt it'll matter much.
    win/draw/loss
    76/13/4

Ask yourself why in the world would you trust a win loss record? Playing them yourself is the only way to tell.

The true joy in the game is playing down to the last model, no matter the odds.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pity, i found logic in the price reduction. A nice price cut would greatly increase consumtion and the new technology would emliminate the possibly setbacks of the price cut.

Oh well, we can always pray:sleep:
    "Heresy is like a garden weed, it won't stop feeding until you... BURN THE WHOLE DAMN GARDEN WITH A FLAMER, BURN IT, BURN IT TO HELL!!!!!" "Is there a wittle puppy in the garden? ITS A DAEMON! BURN IT!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

425 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by bald inquisitor
    pity, i found logic in the price reduction. A nice price cut would greatly increase consumtion and the new technology would emliminate the possibly setbacks of the price cut.

Oh well, we can always pray:sleep:
    We really won't know until you start seeing it as common practice - but I can't imagine a major price drop. A minor one isn't too far out there - so I guess we shall see...

Cheers,

-Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bear in mind that GW is owned by share holders and not gamers means that profit is the name of the game i think that the predicted price drop will be either miniscule or non existant (more than likely the latter).

The sad thing is that Games workshop holds a monopoly on war games with a fan base who cannot get their minitures anywhere else meaning they can do whatever the hell they want and their ain't anything gamers can do with it (well appart from raising a vaste sum of money any buying a majority stake of shares0

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

true, i hate monopoly, the game and the business state.

true pity, i had hoped there was some decency in the world but then again im jus kiddin myself

i won't go crazy over it, as long as prices don't rise:shifty:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast