I know this seems like a crackpot idea but... ;) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know this seems like a crackpot idea but... ;)

Do you guys think it would be a cool idea to make a tabletop terrain set, but have a layer of magnets underneath the terrain.

So layered this would look something like:

All the decorative stuff, gravel, flocking, grass what have u.
    Sheet metal (so you can remove the top surface)
    Thin foam.
    A layer of flat square pancake magnets.
    More foam
    Plywood for a backing so you can carry it around.

The table is now completetly magnetized. If you put neodymium magnets with the right polarity onto the bottom of all your skimmer models. wouldnt that make them float?

Cause actualy floating models would be sweet , you see back in electronics 10 at high school one of the projects i had to do was this sort of monorail project, we managed to make motored vehicles that floated along a magnetic track. So this could be used to make destroyers, land speeders, eldar tanks and jetbikes to float.

The only disadvantage with this is that it will totally mess up any models that use magnets to swap parts, dreadnoughts for example.

Would it work?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neat idea but I doubt it would work. You'd probably end up with skimmers either flipping over or not hovering. And if you could get them to hover how would you get them to stay in place during play? The slightest breeze would cause your models to go sliding all over the place. Not so good for measuring.

But it would look DAMNED cool.

Why not try it and see how it works! I could be wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by rat of vengence
    Just how dark are these angles?
    "It was a magnificent display of trained and disciplined valour, and its assault failed of success because dead men can advance no further"
    -refering to the Royal Newfoundland Regiment at Beaumont-Hamel after they took 90% casualties in the assault

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

The other problem you may experience is light models flinging off the side of the table. But flipping over is much more likely. Also depending on the strength of the magnets it could crush the plastics. Not sure if it would be worth the effort but it does sound like an interesting idea - one that would probably require a lot of research, trial, and error.

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

suf
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with general jigger: cool idea, but might not work.

However, having said that, you just might pull it off if you ever so slightly were to separate the pancake magnets underneath the terrain. That would create a pattern of troughs and wells in the magnetic field, into which the magnets of the model would settle themselves. You would not be able to position the model freely, but at least it might stay on the table... (The smaller the pancake magnets are, the denser the "positioning grid" will be and hence more freedom to you!)

Oh, by the way, at least three magnets per model are necessary, set in as large a triangle as possible (like you need a minimum of three wheels on any vehicle or on the undercarriage of an aircraft).
    Last edited by suf; April 13th, 2006 at 23:50.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course this would not be practical whatsoever for actual tabletop gaming but you gotta agree this would make for a totally awsome diorama.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds sweet, first I thought it was for interchanging the top of boards. Having them mounted on sheet metal then changing and what not. This is far cooler!

One other problem you would face is the models would (if they didn't flip/float about the place) want to go the the corners and sides of the magnets underneath, depending on the size. The magnetic force would be wekaest there so they would bobble about a bit and eventually end up there I guess.

Sounds like a great idea if it works though! The movement phase would be done with mini hand-held fans!
    Archaon's Top Tip for profiting from the End Time: Pillage before you burn

When I say jump you don't ask me 'How high?' maggot! You jump!

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x3)

Four magnets situatied so that they form a bowl with the "magnetic field" That should solve the previous problem. And make the thing bottom heavy. That should solve the flip over problem, the magnets would want to continue moving the way they are already moving. The problem is they would need ot be fairly strong. Perhaps an electro magnet in the vehicle. Then make the base electomagnetic and and slightly larger so that you can take it anywhere.

This is feasible. Somebody should try this out.
    Three Companies of the 26th Vinancium
    143rd Airborne Badgers (99.9% done)
    159th Corsair Rifles (35% done))
    69th Armored Wall Busters (95% done)

Total 197 men, 12 tanks, 4 Heavy Artillery Pieces

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm well if anyone wants to try this out im a bit busy atm with work.

So to make something float it has to have at least 3 magnets under it to tripod it, 4 would be ideal, but unless the magnets are very very small you probably wont be able to fit em all under a small model like a jetbike.

The main problem is that the magnets will want to flip the model over, and if they succeed the model will probably get slammed into the table I think for gaming purposes if this does work ill only ever use it on proxies.

One thing that would offset the flippage is weighing down the model so that it stays upright, since plastic models dont weight a huge lot, maybe lead fishing weights would work?

heh the coolest thing ever, would be having the table surface as one big electro magnet. You place and move models as normal and if you want stuff to float you turn the table on and everything floats up off the surface

Of course if the table was anything less than perfectly flat all your models would simply slide of the side, but it would look cool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    126 (x4)

Cool idea, I'll chime in with a probably won't work since the model weights are all different. It would be hard to find a strength magnet that could support all of them. Considering the difference in weight between a Tau hover vehicle and a Eldar Jetbike. Also I wouldn't be able to put my army on such a table as I use rare earth magnets in the majority of my models. I can see putting down my assault squad and all the arms fall off and sticking to the table
    (Heh heh,
    IG Commander: "Throw down your arms and surrender!",
    SM Sergeant: "Never! All right men, charge!"
    *SM's run onto table and all their arms fall off*
    IG Commander: "I didn't mean your actual arms"
    Ok so that was funnier in my head)

I'd recommend doing this for a diorama. It'd look sweet to have your vehicles floating while on display. It would then be a more "controlled" environment.

One other problem with a magnetic table is non-gaming materials. That many magnets would be a huge magnetic field, and probably a strong one at that. A friend of mine keeps his army list on his laptop and just opens that up at the beginning of the game. Hate to see what happens if he forgets about the magnets and puts his laptop on the table. Also, need I point out that most tape measures are steel. Your tape measure will stick to the table or be pulled down through the terrain. So on second thought, I'd probably not like to play on a table like this.

Also don't you need the round base on your floaters to measure distance? Shooting is "base to base" measurement.

If you get it working for a diorama though, it would be real sweet!
    Last edited by magnet_man; April 15th, 2006 at 13:39.
    Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem is, magnetic sheeting is not polarised north/south by sides like normal magnets, but is polarised in strips, each about quater of a cm wide. So it's possible your skimmer will float, for about half a second, before it skips half a cm to the left and then slams into the table. :sleep:
    Message to GW: Make more ForgeWorld rules official...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast