Gothcon #30 Tournament report thread. (56k beware, picture heavy!) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Treadhead with a Chainaxe Kaiser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Gothcon #30 Tournament report thread. (56k beware, picture heavy!)

Right, because I promised the people on IRC that I would post a report, here it is. Though before I start I better make sure that I won't get any jokes about Goths and Emoes, because they have nothing to do with the name of the con which took place in Gothenburg, Sweden over the easter weekend. Not caring much for the easter holidays, I went there.

As usual, no con is complete without it's own pre-con-panic-painting, so naturally, I had been fool enough to submit a list for the 40k tournament consisting mostly of models that I either didn't have or that needed repainting. The days before the con I did almost nothing else but paint, but around 020 the day the con would start I had everything ready. (Not the 3-colours minimum you might imagine, everything was around or near the same quality of the two models I've got in my gallery.) Anyways, everything packed I figured I'd get some sleep before it was time to go.
    Four hours and thirty minutes later the alarmclock woke me up and with a mighty effort I managed to get out of bed and into the shower to remedy my half-undead state with some cold water. It helped for about five, maybe ten minutes, then I was yet again possessed by the spirit of the Early Morning Mummy. I had a quick breakfast and then grabbed my stuff and started walking to where I had agreed to meet my club. Luckily, just as I had left the house I remembered that I had forgotten to pack my command squad, so I went back and fetched them without waking anybody else up. Things where going well sofar, I even made it in time to the spot where I would meet with my clubmates so that we could share a car for the 45 minute drive to Gothenburg which I spent sleeping.

We arrived at the con and signed in and got our passes and where assigned a spot where we could unload our sleeping bags and such. The con was held at a large school which was usually closed over the holidays, so our sleeping quarters where an old classroom that smelled strongly of chalk. We opened the window to let some fresh air in. After that the others got a quick breakfast and we then left to find wherever the 40k tournament would be held. Naturally, we arrived just after the tournament managers had started their little informational speech and we didn't miss to much of it. We where however too late to sign up for the best gametimes - you see, because there wasn't enough terrain to build boards for 60 games at the same time, they had split it up so that there would be two 'rounds' for you to play each of your games and it was these rounds you had to sign up for and because we where late, all the convenient playtimes had already been taken, so that meant that my first game would be around 130 that day. Around four and a half hours away.
    I quickly realised that without caffeine, I was doomed to fall asleep before my first game and probably miss it, so I went back to the cafeteria and loaded up on Jolt Cola, then I spent the time before the first game in the various stores that had been set up specifically for this con.

It was about 20 or 30 minutes before my first game that I finally found the booth that Grephaun and her friends had set up. You see, because Grephaun drops by on IRC every now and then, I had learned that she's a very talented artist and that she once made a motief that Kuffy then had put on a t-shirt. So I had asked her(this was months ago) if she could make a picture of a squat to put on a t-shirt of my own(Squats are awesome). Either way, she agreed and made two really neat images to put on the back and front of my shirt, we would then meet at the con and she'd print it on the shirt using some wierd contraption called known as an Iron. So I walked up and asked for Greph... who was away eating. I figured I'd go back and get ready for the tournament then, convinced that bad luck would haunt me because I didn't have the Squat-shirt I had been hoping to wear at the tournament.

Just before the game though I did find something I found interesting though. Behold! The Ultrasquats:

Well, they're not accually Ultramarines but a custom chapter from what I understand. Either way, they're Squats proxying/counts-as marines and I felt compelled to take a picture of them. Also note that I can't use cameras for squat(bad pun I know).

Right, now the thing people probably have been waiting for:

Battle 1: 1700p Night Lords, 4x Loot Counters worth 425p each.

Because I've got the memory of a goldfish I forgot to take any pictues of the battle aside from the fourth turn, and then again none after that. Awesome isn't it? :>
    His army consisted of 1x6 furies, 1x8 furies, 8 raptors with a beefed up champion, a chaos lord with a 7 or 8 man retinue of chosen mounted in a rhino, a defiler with indirect, a 8 man squad with melta and autocannon, a 10 man squad with plasma and missile launcher and three obliterators.

Game started quickly, I started with my sentinels scoutmove to make sure that I had a good wiev of where his rhino probably would have sped forward. Then he won the roll for first turn first and destroyed a chimera, but my stormtroopers had deployed outside of it in a forest so it didn't hurt to much. His raptors and obbies advanced and the rhino with some chosen slowly edged forward trying to stay hidden from my sentinels. He also killed two stormtroopers with his autocannon. His defiler managed to cause a penetrating 2 on another chimera and the stormtroopers inside disembark.

My turn, now I quickly decided that his raptors, his obliterators and his rhino with chosen where the most dangerous threats, however, one of my battletanks, my demolisher and my hellhound where on the other side of the board to be of much help with that, so I decided I'd use them to attack him there. All he as anti-tank there was a melta and a missile launcher, so my two AV14 tanks shouldn't have much problems there. My sentinels moved around hiding in terrain or behind other tanks to increase their survivability by becoming obscured.
    My shooting begins, I deemed the meltagun a bigger threat than the missile launcher so the demolisher fires it's cannon at the 8 man autocannon/melta squad killing 2 marines. +1 to coversaves is always annoying. The russ next to him don't see much of that autocannon squad, so I fire my battlecannon at his 10 man missile squad but scatters and misses.
    The hellhound kills another marine in the autocannon squad with it's heavy bolter. The inferno cannon was still out of range.
    My last russ hits the raptors with it's battlecannon killing three, my lone sentinel blows up the rhino and the rest of the sentinels fire their lascannons at the obliterators killing one. 3 chosen fell to the exploding rhino and some random fire from my 3rd chimera.

His turn, Raptors summon furies, who scatter 11" back towards his own lines. Raptors advance and fire their two meltaguns at my stunned chimera but both miss. Fortunate for me since he was within 6" now. Furies move towards me. His obbies continue their advance, but his lord and chosen are entangled because their ride blew up. Shooting begins, his defiler stunns my hellhound and his missile launcher misses. His autocannon kills another stormtrooper. The obbies blow up the stunner chimera.

My turn 2, I ofcourse forgot to roll reserves for my 5 man deepstriking stormies. my shooting took down one marine in the autocannon squad, brining it down to 4. The raptors where brought down from five to three and the furies lost half their squad. I also killed chosen or two still entangled by the wreck of their rhino.

His turn 3, his 4 man squad summons the 8 furies who scatter forwards by 4-5". His obbies imobilize one of my russes with a glancing, but the rest of his shooting accomplishes nothing. His raptors charge my stormies from the stunned(now destroyed) chimera killing 2 with some really bad rolling. The five stormies then kill one raptor and pass their morale test staying put for another round of fighting. His 3/6 furies continue their advance and hide behind the wreckage of my chimerae. His 8 man squad of furies charge my stormtroopers who deployed outside of the first chimera, killing two and losing two. Oh, and his chosen climbed over their rhino and start their footslogging across the board. Also, something, can't remember which nails one of my sentinels. ;_;

My turn 3. Stormtroopers arrive and land just in front of his defiler. My sentinels fire at his obliterators, of course, either failing to hit or to wound. A tradition they will keep up for most of the tournament. The autocannon/melta squad is brought down to 2 man, my turn to roll badly I guess. I bring the chosen down to 3 plus the lord. My stormtroopers who just landed by the defiler to their thing and blows it up with their two meltaguns taking more than double their points back. This turn was otherwise not very eventful, the raptors kill some more stormies, leaving 3, who hold this time aswell.

His turn 4, his last furies kill some more stormies but they hold. His 2/8 melta/autocannon squad fire the melta at my russ but miss. His last chosen advance and his obliterators fail to hurt my Russ. The 3/6 squad of furies charge my two sentinels but fail to do anything and are instead trampled by their 2 s5 attacks. Sentinels win combat by 1 and the last two furies vanish in a puff of smoke because of demonic instability.

My turn 4, his meltagun is getting dangerously close to my Russ and Demolisher, so I pull them back. I needed to get rid of that meltagun, so I had my demolisher fire it's demolishercannon again, which ofcourse, hits, but then rolls snakeeyes when wounding. The hellhound fails to hurt them aswell. In the assault his raptors kill two more stormtroopers leaving just the sarge, but being a manly, fearless guardsman of undeniable greatness he decides that he can take the two last raptors on his own and sticks in.
    The stormies fighting the furies take alot of casulties, but they manage to hold on aswell.

His turn 5 his melta fails to do anything, so does his missile launcher and his obbies, his furies kill my stormtroopers in the forest and the two raptors showed that sergeant of mine that he shouldn't be ****y. Much to my luck though, neither of these roll well on their consolidation rolls, but the furies go and hide in the forest and the raptors are stuck out in the open. His chosen finally get in range and jump two of my sentinels, it's a good thing that it's only the lord left of them now, yet he carves open the two sentinels with his darkblade, d.strenght, furious charge and whatnot, but they both explode and the Lord takes a wound. Serves him right.

My turn 5, yet again I fail to hurt his 2 guys with a melta. My 5 stormies that just landed nail the obbies with their meltas and the two last sentinels destroy the raptors. I also bring the 5/8 furies to 3/8, so they're no longer scoring.

His turn 6 his missile launcher fails to do anything like last time, his lord is charges my last chimera but fails to do anything, thank the Emperor for that, his charge the rear of my demolisher managing one glancing hit, which of course results in a vehicle destroyed like always when it comes to my Demolisher. He just can't stand those glancing hits. :<
    His melta also brings down the other russ.

My turn 6, my last two sentinels claim an objective and so do my 5 man stormies, my hellhound destroys his furies and his lord takes another wound.

Game ends with a 16-4 tournament point victory in my favour because of the objectives, or 1672-1115,5p if you'd rather have victory points. Our game went rather quickly, so I packed my stuff and went to see how the others from my club where doing.

In order of appearance; Tobias' Biel-Tann Eldar getting mauled by an Imperial Guard Army, Pär's Iron Warriors devastating some smurf army(sorry about picture quality, I'm useless with cameras) and Michael's Tyranids scoring a small win over more marines.

After that I went to find Greph again, I wanted that pimp shirt of mine, but I did stop and take some notes from my battle so I could write this report before that. I found Greph' and her friends among the various con-stores and it seems that she forgot her Iron in Copenhagen! What an outrage! Hiding my righteous fury by pretending to be nervous about meeting someone from the Internet. Also, there where rumours about Munin being her father wandering IRC.(Sorry, internal joke for the IRC people.) We talked for a while and I took her picture. For some reason we found it terribly amusing to take pictures of eachother while taking pictures of eachother;

For some reason. After that, I took a quick look around the stores and then joined up with some friends to grab something to eat. We found a resturant that didn't charge too outrageous prices and had some fun talking about random con crap and the scary people we had seen there. Mm. Chicken curry. :>
    After the meal we split up again and I went to scour through the endless boxes of discout blisters and ended up buying some reaper minis to put in my Mordheim warband aswell as some Khador Widowmakers that I'm not sure what to do with yet. Stuipid shiny boxes and discount prices making me buy stuff I don't see any use for. I also spent some considerable time searching for some neat forgeworld tanks to add to my army, but alas, there wheren't much of interest aside from a rocket pod Sentinel and a heavy bolter turret emplacement, but in the end I decided to skip those. I spent quite some time in those stores, but soon it was 18:15 and time for my next game.

I've read the mission paper, it's a custom mission called reverse escalation, meaning anything that would start in reserves in escalation games would be on the board this time, and anything that would be on the board would then start in reserves. There was no deep strike or infiltration on this mission. In short, my army being almost entierly made up from tanks or vehicles with the scout rule would start on the board while any infantry based army I might be facing would be at a severa disadvantage.

Battle 2: 1700p Deathwing, table quarters control, 1st round nightfight.

Deployment:

As you can see, I had a tremendous advantage in this game, with only my command squad who's only there for leadership support through vox and my 5 man meltagun squad of stormtroopers off the board. My opponent had 3 dreadnoughts with assault cannons and a Land Raider filled with Assault terminators.

Then everything just went wrong. I don't even want to talk about it really, in my lack-of-sleep state I didn't think of terminators being able to deepstrike even though the mission doesn't allow it... so before I knew it, there where three dreadnoughts with assault cannons in my face and another four assault cannons having landed behind me. I did what I could and unloaded my stormtroopers who fired their meltas and plasmas into the stormtroopers behind me, a total of 10 shots that would have been 3+ to hit, 2+ to wound and a 5+ invunerable save. These shots kill 4 models. My plasmagunners. His termies stood there without a scratch. The hellguns didn't manage anything either. His termies took out my Demolisher the turn they landed and the others where concentrating on my sentinels. Suddenly I was all out of Ap2 and a crapload of assault cannons all around me, so turning front armour towards one side wouldn't have helped because then I would just be showing my rear to another. I tried fleeing out from this claw I had gotten stuck in, but in the end, he had 3 out of four quarters and all I had gotten where some dead termies who where still scoring and his three dreadnoughts. A clear 20-0 victory for him. 2752 against 686p. My rolling really sucked, but this would have been easily avoidable if I only had thought about termies and deepstriking. But my rolling also sucked, as my stormtroopers and their plasmaguns demonstrated by killing themselves and nothing else. But aside from that, this guy was a god at rolling 6's and seeing all my tanks going up in flames so easily really wrecked my mood.

Anyways, here's a picture of each of my buddies battle; Tobias Biel-Tann up against World Eaters, Pär's Iron Warriors against Salamanders and Michael's 'nids against Iron Warriors:

Remember that about all the convenient playing times being taken? Yeah, this next battle started at 01:30 in the morning. Remember how much I had slept the night before the con? Add in that I've been running on caffeine all day and had gotten mauled in my previous battle? Yeah, my brain was more or less turned into some sort of depressed jelly, so without further delay, here's the 3rd battle:

Battle 3: 1700p Dark Angels, Charge mission, 1st round nightfight

Bah, I just don't know what happened in this battle. The objective was to get over into your opponents deployment zone and I was performing an armoured cavalry charge that was mauling anything in it's path. I was killing DA marines at an incredible rate. But then his landspeeders and terminators deepstruck in my deployment zone and started tearing through rear armour with their assault cannons and it was the deathwing battle all over again more or less. The moment his first reserves roll succeeded none of my rolls would. My plasmagunners managed to kill another 4 models in this battle. You guessed it. Themselves. I should have given them grenade launchers instead. Bloody useless. My sentinels, I have 5 of them, all equipped with lascannons where left alone the entire battle, so they got a total of 30 shots in over the 6 turns. Of course, none of those shots hit/wounded/glanced or penetrated anything. Another big defeat. 18-2 in his favour, 2271 - 796.

I didn't take any pictures of my battle, was to messed up in the head to remember. I also managed to break the antennae on my Demolisher. Bleh.

Here are my buddies 3rd battles, Tobias' Biel-Tann agains some really shiny red marines, Michael's 'nids against Witchhunters with alot of inducted guard and Per's Iron Warriors against against

I waited till the others where done with their battles, which was about 04:30 and we then headed back to our sleeping bags and I was fast asleep within moments.

It was around 110 that I woke up, even though I hadn't slept that long I felt refreshed so I got dressed, located the school's dressing room for the gymnastics classes and took a shower. I even found a toilet that hadn't run out of toiletpaper. Awesome. After that it was time for breakfast, so I went to the cafeteria and got some sandwiches, checked the clock and saw that there was plenty of time before my 4th battl,e so I headed back to the stores. Picked up some more blisters and I was then in the bookstore reading the backs of random books to see if anything was worth buying. I had already picked out Blood Angels: Deus Sanguinius(which I later realised was the second part of two) and the first of the Gaunt's Ghosts books(Always wanted to know why all the fuss about them). It was there, in the bookstore, I was holding a compilation of the three books about Inquisitor Eisenhorn in my hand flippin pages in it when Greph' ninja appeared to my side and said 'You should buy it' which made me jump. I didn't think I had freaked that bad by her sudden appearance untill earlier today on IRC:

[11:52:40] <Grephaun> Also, I think I scared Kaiser a bit, the poor fellow. I can have that effect on people.
    [11:53:54] <Lethalis> scared him?
    [11:55:41] <Grephaun> Well, I found him standing by the 40k books in the sci-fi book store with Eisenhorn in his hand and the look of someone undecided on his face, so I sidled right up to him, quiet-like, and yelled: 'Buy it!' Quite made him jump.
    [11:55:51] <Grephaun> He bought it, though.

Evil woman. >_>

We then stood there chatting in the bookstore recommending eachother books we've read and liked, and as has been said, I did pick up the Eisenhorn book aswell. We then parted and I went down to see what stuff was being auctioned out. Alot of junk and quite a few bargains, but nothing I had much interest in so I left a bit early. More store wanderings, bought a blueberry muffin, then headed to the 40k tournament area again. Looks like I'm up against Daemonhunters this time, so here goes:

Battle 4, 1700p Daemonhunters, Quarter control, eclipse

This battle was pretty boring I must say, both for me and the poor guy I was playing. Not only was it his first time against Guard, he didn't have anywhere near enough anti-tank to handle my list. Not only that, the scatterdice I have seems to really, I mean really, hate Grey Knights. Most of his stuff deepstruck, hence why he has so few things on the board. He went first, here's a picture of his movement phase and ym scoutmoves:

They Grey knights at the top left of the image are accually inside his land raider. 10 knights with two psycannons. My shooting begins with the landraider going down to a glancing 6 from my 5 man meltagun squad, the Demolisher then destroys half of the squad that was in. My hellhound and my chimera then completely obliterates his stormtroopers and both of his dreadnoughts where stunned.

Second turn behings with his HQ - Grandmaster and 7 man Gk termie retinue deepstriking behind my lines, stunning a Leman with their psycannons. I then unload my stormies who unleash their plasmas, meltas and hellguns, who for once accually do what they're supposed to and kill the retinue and put a wound on the master. The knights from the land raider lose another two squadmembers, even though my shooting over there was rather bad.
    I destroy one of his dreads and pick the assault cannon off the other leaving it with a missle launcher and a stunned result.

His turn, another squad of GK arrive, land next to one of my stormie squads and wipe it out with their incinerators and stormbolters. Ouch. Grand Master charges into a stormie squad killing 3 but the stormies hold. The landraider survivors get up and charge my lone sentinel, smashing it and consolidating into the next two. I was careless, it seemed like the sentinels would be out of range from them but they where just inside charge range. Oh well, the battle was decided already anyways.

In short, the rest of the battle was that another squad of GK arrived to get mauled by ordnance, the GK master finished his squad of stormies and then took down a chimera with some lucky shooting and because he was standing so close to it, the stomies inside couldn't disembark and died. He survives, and so does a weaponless immobilized dreadnought. I lose my hellhound to my own battlecannon, all 24 of my stormies, a chimera and all five of my sentinels. I'm holding all four quarters leaving me with a 20-0 victory, 3168-1211p. First battle my Demolisher survives. Ever.

Oh, and as usual, Michael's 'nids against Orks, Pär's Iron Warriors against a basilisk and an uncountable number of guardmen, most of whom are off screen and Tobias' Eldar against Salamanders.

After that it was time for the best painted awards, I only had time for some quick pictures, but here are in order of appearance, Saim-Hann Eldar, Deathwing, The Red Shiny Marines From Before, Blood Angels, Night Lords, Lost and the Damned(Played as Imperial Guard), Witchhunters, Death Guard, Space Wolves, Nurgle Lost and the Damned and Mechanised Imperial Guard.

That more of less concludes this report. After my club and I realised that none of us would have a chance at the top 16, we felt that playing the 5th game would just be a waste of time, so we'd rather just skip it and head home early. I went to see Greph again to see if my shirt was done yet, she had borrowed an iron from her friend who lived in town, but had misplaced the print instead. Oh well, I paid her for the prints and gave her some money for postage so she could send it to me later once it was done. I also picked up a chaos predator before I left.

Also, incase you where wondering, the list I played can be found here. Overall, even though I got mauled in two games, I had a good time. Going back next year, though probably bringing my World Eaters then. As for pictures of me, you'll have to ask Greph about that.

Any other questions? :>

Last edited by Kaiser; June 27th, 2006 at 13:03.
    #lochat, irc.quakenet.org
    World Eaters, Kaiser Style < Old thread. No ressurecting!
    Late War Schwere Panzerkompanie, Kaiser Style < Don't ressurect this either.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow thanks for that, bad luck though with the sentinels.
    Your Signature:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x2)

Could you maybe put a line break in the long row of pictures? I'm running 1280 x 1024 and it still broke my browser.

Treadhead with a Chainaxe Kaiser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by PoptartsNinja
    Could you maybe put a line break in the long row of pictures? I'm running 1280 x 1024 and it still broke my browser.
    Done.

Yeah, the Sentinels where running on a bad streak, something which more or less continued throughout the tournament. I guess it's my own fault for putting a one shot, high strenght gun on a model with the BS of a Guardsman.
    Last edited by Kaiser; April 18th, 2006 at 09:04.
    #lochat, irc.quakenet.org
    World Eaters, Kaiser Style < Old thread. No ressurecting!
    Late War Schwere Panzerkompanie, Kaiser Style < Don't ressurect this either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x2)

[QUOTE=Kaiser]Done.[QUOTE]

Thanks.

I read the whole thing before, your sentinals seem to have the same luck as my poor Genestealers (who make their 4+ armor saves an average of one time in ten every game they're in -_- ).

Sentenals are still a great unit, though (although my IG friend swears by autocannons and multi-lasers).

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Nice report, surprised you could remember so much. Though I have to say... a game at one in the morning? hahaha! Serves yourself right for being late! :tongue: Nah, shame you did not win more but seems you had a few problems on the gaming side.

Otherwise seems like a top event and you had fun, even if you were scared by a certain Danish doctor. Nice picture of her though, very nice. :tongue: .

(I was mentioned! Woot!! *dances*)

*ahem*

KU

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    293 (x5)

Damn fine report there, Kaiser. Good to see the doctorlady too, although we both know she'd rather be looking down the sights of a dork-seeking shoulder-fired missile :shifty:

Ryan Dancey, Vice President of Wizards of the Coast, believed that TSR failed because of "...a near total inability to listen to its customers, hear what they were saying, and make changes to make those customers happy." Are you listening, Games Workshop ?

+ Reply to Thread