4th the infiltrating ed? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x2)

4th the infiltrating ed?

A lot of people whom i have talked to and played with have commented on the rise of the numbers of armies who have more and more infiltrating units in them.

now this ranges from the imperial guard with doctrines to whole space marine armies.

As such this has risen in the number of games where one player's army deploys in its entirety whilst his opponent sits back and watches then chooses the best place for his army to go.

This is a valid tactic and if youre willing to pay the points for it then by all means go for it.

However, i'd like to point out a few dangers to people who do this and to those who have to suffer this style of army, a nice little item which will really help out with a bit of forethought in deployment.

The main dangers to this tactic,
    A) you still have to roll for first infiltrating unit so if your opponent has infiltrators as well he can seriously curtail your availiable deployment oppertunities.

your opponent can deploy his entire army in a cohesive manner and theres nothing you can do about it, this includes setting up effective interlocking fields of fire from heavy weapon squads, and vehicles

now for the little item i was talking about, this is simply the humble auspex/scanner, (i know that this is only availiable to imperial armies)

For this piece of wargear allows you to engage every infiltrating unit within its range, within the normal shooting rules, so LOS, RANGE, ETC STILL APPLY.
    But immagine the horror that your opponent feels when you roll for it and are able to get 3 full turns of shooting (eg 3 units were in auspex range) at his infiltrating 250pt deamon prince, and the compulsory squad behind it seperately (remember unless its a retinue a chaos lord only joins that squad in his first movement phase, as he is deployed as a SEPPRATE infiltrating unit). So thats effectively 6 turns of shooting before the game even begins.

now immagine youre a humble guard player with heavy weapons platoon and independant commisar, doctrines, or a SM player with 3 devisdator squads, witchhunters retriburor squad with 4 heavy bolters, the list really does go on and on.

comments are as always more than welcome

WARMASTER of the SCHOLA PROGENIUM Alnwick Chapter (soon to be the world)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They effectively took away infiltrate from us Nid players as now we only have one unit that can do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Decado
    A lot of people whom i have talked to and played with have commented on the rise of the numbers of armies who have more and more infiltrating units in them.
    I've noticed it too, and am also probably a cause of it. I play an entire Infiltrating army, and sometimes it really catches the opponent off guard. Experienced players often know how to deal with it though by using overlapping fields of vision to prevent units from deploying too close.

I've also seen certain Drop Pod armies that make mince meat of Infiltrating armies.

With the death of the Rhino Rush, there aren't many valid options for getting to Close Combat quickly and safely. Infiltration remains one of the best options.

now for the little item i was talking about, this is simply the humble auspex/scanner, (i know that this is only availiable to imperial armies)
    I do not fear the Auspex. Here's why.

First, I have to deploy my unit in Line of Sight for it to work. That means my unit has to be 19 inches at the minimum, since deploying infiltrators in LoS requires you to deploy more than 18 inches away.

Auspex is 4d6, right? The average of each die is 3.5, so 3.5 x 4 = 14. That's still five pips shy of hitting my unit, with an equal chance of you rolling lower than the average instead of higher.

That's why I don't fear the Auspex. I actually applaud my opponent when he manages to get one to work as intended.

at his infiltrating 250pt deamon prince, and the compulsory squad behind it seperately (remember unless its a retinue a chaos lord only joins that squad in his first movement phase, as he is deployed as a SEPPRATE infiltrating unit)
    He deserves to get it shot if he's deploying it in front of the unit. Behind it... in it... anything but in front of it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    66 (x2)

caluin there is a problem with the deamon prince analogy, it is a seprate unit until the chaos players first movement phase, so even if he deploys behind it/in it you can still shoot the prince seprately
    WARMASTER of the SCHOLA PROGENIUM Alnwick Chapter (soon to be the world)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

caluin there is a problem with the deamon prince analogy, it is a seprate unit until the chaos players first movement phase, so even if he deploys behind it/in it you can still shoot the prince seprately
    But he still can claim IC status, can't he?

*Goes to look that up.*

Edit -
    Upon closer examination, it seems Decado is right. Auspex/Scanner/What have you doesn't specifically target, just allows free shots at any Infiltrator they roll high enough. But I stand by my original statement - the chances of rolling 19+ on a 4d6 are too low to be anything more than a gimmik. Too unreliable.
    Last edited by Caluin; April 22nd, 2006 at 00:26.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x2)

Wait, I thought being statured means you can't infiltrate. also I hvae seen a nasty combination of auspexes on scout bikes, A marine gave a 6 man squad of scout bikes an auspex, 2 plas, and a serg. with combi plas that ran forward 12in., auspexed 4 d6 and gunned down a death guard squad easily earning their points, I wish you could do that with sentinels (toasted stealers, mmmm )

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

746 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Orkimedes41792
    Wait, I thought being statured means you can't infiltrate.
    A daemon prince might have Stature, but he might also bu just another humansized CSM with more then 50pts of Daemonic gifts.
    This word "Daemon Prince" always causes misunderstanding, but soon everybody will have understood...Guess they'll change it then.

+ Reply to Thread