GW bleeding out and taking our wallets with it? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GW bleeding out and taking our wallets with it?

reading the updated price catalog from the latest white dwarf has fueled my annoyance with GW operations into full blown anger. under the disguise of a so called "price reduction", GW has acctually increased the prices on the vast majority of their items, these prices which acctually represents a overall 15-20% increase in all GW products.

after doing a little research it seems like GW has made a huge blunder in expecting long term profitability out of its LOTR line of models. while the movies were being released, lotr fans were ethusiastic about collecting lotr minatures but since the end of the movie productions, the ethusiastism of the lotr fanbase dwindled. we all knew this was comin when we saw the first snot nosed kid runnin around with a aragorn model in the hobby store screaming "death to urukai", how the heck did GW not forsee this loss of interest?

Being a business GW needs to hold true to its goal of generating profit and this agenda is made especially critical due to the firm's responsibility to its stockholders. the compensation for their planning blunder came in the form of having them gouge deeper into our pockets and man are we completely helpless against it (assuming one does not switch games). but watching GW squeeze more money out of its loyal customers is irritating enough that it makes me wanna do away with miniature gaming all together and this is coming from someone who likes 40k a heck of a lot. after watching GW slowly wind its pewter tipped boots up to kick itself in the arse over this LOTR failure, im starting to think that GW might just be ignorant enough to stomp over miniature gamers until we all move on to another company or walk on the miniature collecting scene. whenever i look back to this point i find myself confronting the amusing image of someone silly brit with a teacup chopping up his boat to fuel the steam engine.

I have a long chain of words i'd like to share but i'd get banned from the forum for it, so i was wonderin how does everyone else feel about this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Wow that's nothing recent at all! Buy comparable models from other companies or wait to purchase what you want second hand.

The reason why Games Workshop does this so often is simply because they can (and they will) get away with it, people don’t leave the hobby in droves is because for the most part we wouldn’t know what to do with ourselves.

Many gamers will defend even the most illogical of Games Workshop’s choices. Squad boxed sets could go up to £20 tomorrow without any official explanation and people would defend it.

On the other side of the scale we seem to have an almost equal number of downright masochistic players who abhor virtually everything about the current hobby yet can’t bring themselves to find another game to play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

its a joke mate, i could go out and buy an entire army tomorrow but i honestly refuse to spend £1 more than i have to at the store, instead i wait for 2nd hand unpainted stuff off of ebay, the recent price increases on the tanks and terminators was the last straw, their pricing younger gamers out of the market as well, how is a kid of 10-14 or so going to afford an army when each squad costs £18+ ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Snuggles
    its a joke mate, i could go out and buy an entire army tomorrow but i honestly refuse to spend £1 more than i have to at the store, instead i wait for 2nd hand unpainted stuff off of ebay, the recent price increases on the tanks and terminators was the last straw, their pricing younger gamers out of the market as well, how is a kid of 10-14 or so going to afford an army when each squad costs £18+ ?
    Weak willed parents, at 14 I didn't have a disposable income in the form of huge amounts of pocket money or allowence but a lot do and Games Workshop lives off this.

As for the pricing, Games Workshop can get away wth it because they pretty much have a monopoly on the wargaming market. No one else is big enough to touch them though what's happening now may change that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It makes little sense from a bussiness point of view,

How many of us buy on impulse? A hell of a lot, so to me it would make more sense if i was to sell two boxes for 2/3 of the price i desire to selll them at. Buying in bulk makes people feell happy and happy customers buy more. Especially when they can begin an entire new army without having to remortgage their home. How many little kids have you seen just flipping right around and pulling the newest box straight off the shelves regardless of which army its for? Games Workshops pricing is bussiness heresey....

However on the flip side to that argument i was chatting to one of the store mangagers about it and apparently Warhammer is not that cheap to make. Acording to my source Games workshop does not wish to outsource its production to somewhere like china where they can hire an entire factory for like £20, they instead get the good old british country-men to do it, this is expensive due to labour and wage regulations pushing their inputs up and up especially when pay rises are demanded.

Secondly GW loves to make money but wants to keep it an exclusive close knit community, in that they do not wish every to bit knacker and squirt collecting the stuff. More stores are opening but this is to cater for a particular desired clientelle and so to make up for this loss in profit they set theire prices as if we were hiring a historic battle re-enactment team....

I personnally despise GW for their money grabbing ways, but i'd prefer that people were paid well for the services they render and i doubt i have the will of mind to stop buying those bloody things even if i wanted to....
    Cry Havoc and Let Slip the Dogs of War

Shakespeare 'Julius Caesar'

Necrons 'Ancient' - 1000pts
    World Eaters - 600pts
    (including a Forge World dready booo yeah! :)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x1)

You're right: the increase in tank prices is outrageous. I could put up with it when special characters and army personalities were £7 each, because I could get round that by converting my own out of basic models instead of having to spend £4 extra on "trooper in a big hat". The tank problem isn't so easy to solve.

I would reccomend either using "real" model tanks - some of the kits available are excellent and would fit a Valhallan, Vostroyan or Steel Legion IG army very well - or looking at ebay. There's one company that sells new boxed sets off at about £18-20 each - hardly discount, but less of a robbery.

I suspect that the problem is that they're not pricing young kids out of the game, owing to their massive pocket money and disposable income. It's older players who get priced out, and frankly they don't bring as much money in as the kids.

Proud banner bearer of LO Codicier_Valkus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just buy your minis online; see those little text ads at the bottom of the page? I found one that does most GW stuff at 20% less than standard GW prices! There, now you can get models at more reasonable prices!
    "Fight for justice, not revenge."
    FoW Gepanzerte Panzergrenadiers who took a wrong turn at Tunisia and magically appeared in Normandy as Panzer Lehr: Wins: 11 Losses: 8

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Have we looked at the source of why GW puts up their prices? they don't simply do it to get more money, thats bad marketing.

1) Plastic comes from oil, so have oil prices gone up?
    2) Then their price also pays the staff's wages, the store's electric bill, without this your little vets night club down GW will disappear for good.

The reason stuff is cheaper online? chances are its just some bloke in a wharehouse with a computer, minimal cost for staff, electicity etc.

Though I will agree, some prices are way too high, £5 for an immortal? I think not.[/random rant]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

err when i was 15 and the first set of plastic squads started to appear, they we're priced at £10, since then they've risen to £12, then £15, now £18 and soon to be £20, but its because poor ol games workshop cant afford the lighting & heating bills? christ they dont even open till 12am, other businesses start at 9.

besides that, the price of plastic im sure is far cheaper than the old lead mini's they produced and they were £20 for a squad of lead minis back in 94

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To give you guys some context, last i knew (info a couple of years old now):

A wraithguard cost about 12p to produce and costs £7 to buy...

A plastic sprue cost around 2p to produce and as has already been said can then be sold for £18-20....

Anyone care to work out the profit on that?

GW's been grabbing money from kids for years; 10 yrs ago 3 metal spearmen cost £5, that's 33pts worth of army!

And in case any of you didn't know, the staff get models at production prices....98% staff discount anyone?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast