Novice Modelling Advice - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been back in the Warhammer 40K universe a little under a week now, having previously left it more than a decade ago.

Should it really be taking me 3 hours to put together a squad of marines from the Warhammer 40K box game?

The only complete piece is the seargant, because he doesn't carry a weapon across his chest. So the remaining for in the squad have no backpacks, and no shoulder pads, or extra weapons, and the right arms are only blu-tacked on, albeit with weapon glued to it. (Got a tip that they are easier to paint if you don't glue both arms on)

Admittedly i did have to take apart one model as it was leaning at such an angle that in reality he would fall flat on his stomach, and had to start again from scratch.

I know that modelling takes time, and the more time you spend putting them together the fewer mistakes you generally make.

Any thought's, comments or advice? :blink:

Space Wolves are badasses that operate just barely within the rules.
    13th Co. didn't even know there were rules applying to how badass they could be.

... and Daemonhunters make it three - now just need a spare room to store it all!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was out of the hobby for a while.. 4 years or so.. When getting back into it the first thing I did was paint some old mini's to get a feel for that again. Then I got myself some Fire Warriors and began to assemble / paint them. The more you'll do the quicker it will go.

To paint my Fire Warriors quickly now I assemble all the legs/torso/heads and undercoat them all. Then I uncoat all the arms and weapons while they are still on the sprue. Then I paint the bodys and the arms/weapons on the sprue.. I like this because it lets me keep my fingers out the way. Youre left with small marks where you cut the arms/weapons out the sprue but once id glued all the arms/weapons/others on I cover all the sprue marks and then add all the markings to my army.. bingo..done...finished.

I can do a whole squad in a couple of hours if I want to do it quickly but if I want to take my time it can take me weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As the models went from one piece metals, to 2-3 piece plastics, and now to 14 piece plastics, they got a lot better. I does take a long time to put together, but I think it's worth it. I probably take a good hour or more to put together one troop, without doing any modifications. I remove the parts from the sprue, trim and file each piece, wash them, and assemble most of the mini. I prefer to assemble as much as possible before painting. I add detail/texture to the base, and then prime the miniature. Takes some time.

I would be happy if they broke them down even further, though. Three piece legs and arms would be nice. That way we could have even more variety and poses without having to cut them all apart. Any time I want to modify the pose it adds another hour or more to cut apart the mini and re-assemble it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having attempted to put together a squad of SM's the previous night, last night i decided to put together five Eldar.

I managed to get to four before my 3 hour target was met!

I thought the SM's were fiddly!

Who in there right mind, apart from veteren's and experts collect Eldar? The limbs are thin, the contacts to the sprues are so close, so cutting them out is a delicate operation, as for cleaning the excess bits off ... less said. And don't get me started on gluing two handed weapons across the body!

At least i managed to complete four Eldar with no blu-tak holding limbs in place for painting later on - i decided they are going to be painted with little detail on their chests, for my sanity's sake more than anything else! (Ok i haven't added much in the way of pouches and weapons, apart from the odd extra spikey bit here and there.)
    13th Co. didn't even know there were rules applying to how badass they could be.

... and Daemonhunters make it three - now just need a spare room to store it all!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I went from plastic catachans to the NEW plastic CSM, and I'll tell ya, after 2 1/2 years of not being into the hobby, I guess i still had (and still have, mind you) a knack for putting together models. and entire box of 8 CSM's took me a total of 2 hours to put together. And I only had to rebuild one, because I didn't lke the pose. Also, I don't use blu-tac, I just stick 'em together on a whim, and it always works out.
    If Knowledge is Power, then Genius is Tyranny.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It takes me awile to get all my figures assembled and primed, because they have to be cut and sanded x 100. Then I assemble the legs, torso and head together. I leave the arms until the chest has been painted, after which the shoulder pads are added on.
    If Wolves were meant to fly, wouldn’t the Emperor have given them wings?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I put together 120 cadians in six hours, but that was after three hours removing all the pieces from the sprues, and cleaning them up a bit, plus I had a friend remove them while I cleaned them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It takes me about an hour to put togeter 16 dwarf warriors. Its much faster and easier if you stick all the legs on the bases, then stick all the bodys on, then all the arms and finally all the heads. But in fantasy if you do that they dont rank up to well <_< but i do it with my great weapon units because its immposible to make them so they dont rank up
    A Promise to a dead man means nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They say practise makes perect - by now way am i saying i am now perfect, and it is still taking sometime. But last night i managed to put 4 SM&#39;s together.

Now you might ask why i&#39;ve gone from doing 5 SM&#39;s on my first attempt (in 3 hours) to doing 4 SM&#39;s in the same amount of time. The reason is i attempted three conversion on 3 on the SM&#39;s.

The conversions consisted of, something really simple to start off with, giving one of the SM&#39;s two bolt pistols instead of a bolter. Remembering these are the game boxed set mini&#39;s, the left hand is shaped to hold the bolter, so a small incision into the fingers and thumb to enable them to bend around the bolt pistol grip, whilst inserting a tiny piece of flash into the thumb incision to stop it falling off.

The second conversion was the SM holding the bolter in it&#39;s right hand and a scanner in it&#39;s left. Again fairly simple. To get the bolter held aloft in the air, i had to cut the arm off just below the shoulder and reglue it in a position so that it wouldn&#39;t sit across the SM&#39;s head/torso, and the same action on the left arm, to pull the scanner in closer to the body.

The third and final conversion was a left handed SM. (Is there any reason why there are no left handed marines - in the fluff? Apart from the obvious, that it&#39;s cheaper to cast them all as right handed.) So again incisions into the left hand fingers and thumb - this time i sliced straight through the thumb and lost it&#33; Fortunately i had previously made a missile launcher SM and had placed one of the missiles in the launcher, after chopping of the tail of the missile. So the tail of the missile them became my new thumb. Due to the tail being in an "X" shape, i filed the top blades of the "X" of so it looked like this "^" and glued the underside so that it formed a tight connection on the hand. OK the remainder of the thumb looks mechanical, but hey accidents happen&#33; The arm again was cut below the shoulder for a more relaxed pose. Whilst the right hand was left intact and a dagger handle was cut off and glued onto the fist, whilst the "trigger guard" was filed down.

Three very simple conversions, of which i am happy with the result. Now to see what i can possibly do to the eldar&#33;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10 Space Marines in 4 hours for me, and thats with constructing a bolter flamer for my veteran sergeant.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast