40k Scale - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: 40k Scale

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what scale is 40k?

tanx for helping.

and if this has already been asked im sorry mods. i did a search but didnt see anything like it.

Want a website built to show off your miniatures? We recommend www.reaperwebdesign.co.uk

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x4)

40k is 25mm scale in general

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ve heard the question often, and the answer is a lot of different scales. But before I give you a useful answer, lets examine what exactly is scale and why there is so much confusion about scales.

WHAT IS SCALE?

The size of a miniature, relative to what it is a replica of, is known as the scale of the figure. For a various reasons several systems are used to describe scale. Gamers primarily use X/XX (such as 1/35 or 1:35) and Xmm (such as 28mm) scales.

Some scales are given as a ratio, variously written as either a ratio (i.e., 1:35) or a fraction (1/35). The second number indicates how many units on the original equal one unit on the model.

Other scales are simply listed as a certain height, such as 25mm or 54mm. Most people usually think of this as being the height representing an average human (i.e., in 25mm scale, men are 25mm high), however some figure heights are measured to eye level, since measuring to the top of the head is impractical for figures wearing headgear. Therefore, when a manufacturer says his figures are 25mm scale, he might mean 25mm to top of the head or 25mm to eye level.

To complicate matters, recent lines of miniatures have taken to exaggerating the figure’s proportions and calling it ‘heroic’ scale, or bumping the height up a couple of millimeters. This can result in a 25mm heroic scale miniature being 28mm high. Manufacturers have been slowly making their figures a bit larger in recent years. The extra size gives more room for details, so that a large 15mm figure often looks sharper than a classic 15mm figure. GW and Reaper, two common lines of miniatures, have both moved into 28mm scale, and Rakham’s Confrontation line of miniatures is even larger, about 30mm in scale.

As a final note, even figures claim to be in the same scale may differ considerably in body build, head size, and general sculpting style - even when made by the same manufacturer! GW’s Middle Earth miniature line is a prime example of this. Some manufacturers see their goal as to make scale replicas, while others concentrate on making gaming pieces which are inexpensive, durable, or easy to paint. Plastic figures may be sculpted in a thinner style than metal figures. If you are concerned whether you can mix figures from different product lines or companies you may first want to order samples from the manufacturer.

This is a short table covering the primary range of miniature scales used by gamers, particularly WarHammer players, and comparison to models and model railroad scales. The scales are based on eye-level measurements.

1/107
    Pre-20th Century war gaming, also used for fantasy, science fiction, and 20th Century "skirmish-level" games
    15mm

1/87
    Model railroad HO is "half O" scale. Many railroad, scenery, and armor models available in this scale
    18.5mm

1/80.5
    Popular for skirmish-level 20th Century war gaming and science fiction
    20mm

1/76
    Same as OO scale. Plastic miniatures and kits of aircraft, vehicles, and soldiers are available
    22.4mm

1/72
    As above, though a slight bit larger
    22.4mm

1/64
    Popular for fantasy, historical, skirmish, science fiction, and role-playing games. Same as railroad S gauge.
    25mm

1/58
    Heroic or large 25mm figures sometimes listed as being 28mm
    28mm

1/54
    Confrontation miniatures, as close as you can call for a mythical figure
    30mm

1/48
    Popular scale for plastic aircraft kits. Some display figures available in this scale
    33.5mm

1/43
    O scale in railroads
    37mm

1/35
    Popular scale for plastic kits of armor. Occasionally used for modern gaming
    50mm

1/30
    Toy soldier scale, recently arrived as GW Inquisitor miniatures
    54mm

SOME BORING STUFF
    To mathematically convert ratio scales into height scales, assuming that height scales measure to "eye height" while ratio scales measure to "head height", divide 1610 by the scale. For example, 1/285 figures are about (1610 / 285 = 5.6) 6mm figures. The reverse is also true: to get ratio scale, divide 1610 by the height scale. Thus, 25mm figures are equivalent to (1610 / 25 = 64.4) 1/64. The 1610 comes from using the eye height of the average man, measured in millimeters, about 1610 mm or 5' 3" to the eye. So equivalent height and ratio scales, multiplied, should always result in the same constant. So what is the constant for a manufacturer who measures height scale to top of the head, rather than to eye level? In millimeters it would be 1730 or about 5' 8".

SO WHAT DO I BUY TO MATCH MY 40K STUFF?
    Another problem for 40K players is the figures are not the same scale as the vehicles. Of course that can be argued as the vehicles are imaginary, so they could be any size you want.

For terrain, buy what looks good. Railroad HO bridges make excellent walkways. HO trees make good saplings or shrubs. S and O buildings and scenery works well.

Plastic armor and accessory kits in 1/35 are the best for bits and accessories (cans, barrels, etc) but most of the vehicles are too large. I have used the M113 armored personnel carrier in 1/35 for rhinos very successfully. They are much closer to the proportions of the new rhino. You can see the step-by-step in Workshop: Rhino.

Your best bet is to look at the kit whenever possible, a buy it based on size and forget the scale.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

I worked out the scale with various equipment (ruler).
    SM are 7ft tall and the models are 1.25 inches tall that is 1:67 scale. And Inquisitor models are 1:22 scale
    My blog - http://wingsofsanguinius.blogspot.com
    Been here nearly 10 years and still haven't managed 500 posts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only problem with using the size of a SM to determine what scale is used, is that Guard troops are the same size miniature. Which means either Guard are also 7' tall, or one of them is not modeled to scale. That's the same with all GW stuff. None of it is modeled to the same scale.

What that means is to use parts from other models, you pretty much have to throw scale out the window and use whatever looks good. Equipment accessories (other than weapons) is best in 1/35. Most vehicles are best in 1/48, and parts of vehicles in either 1/48 or 1/35. Other troops are usually 1/48 (if you wanted to substitute body parts and such).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the scale i heard that 40k was is 28mm but they are to tall to fit in a rhino. i had a model sm that fell off the base and hewas a millimeter or two too tall. i also heard the guy to tank level is "heroic" scale?

Closed Thread