Librarium Online Forums banner

titan proxy

3K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Toastee 
#1 ·
ok, so yesterday i was at a mega battle and a certain gamer did something that i thought shouldnt be alowed. he broaght in a huge alien queen action figure and claimed it was a bio titan. the store guys let him use it, but i thought that he shouldn't have been alowed to use it. its just not fair to the people who pay hundreds of dollars for an actual bio titan, while some kid just pays like 30 bucks for some giant action figure. what are your thoughts on this. i mean if he had made it from scratch, or maybe converted the figure to resemble the titan, it would be ok, but using some toy to proxy as the titan is just not cool.

#2 ·
proxy and the fun of the game

It's always up to opponents if they think they will enjoy a game with a proxy. If you wanted to play a game to see what it's like to play against a bio titan, sweet. If not, just them you don't want to play with titans.

You seem to be forgetting that this is a game and should be fun. If you stop having fun for one reason or another, don't play with that person.

#3 ·
delkins said:
It's always up to opponents if they think they will enjoy a game with a proxy. If you wanted to play a game to see what it's like to play against a bio titan, sweet. If not, just them you don't want to play with titans.

You seem to be forgetting that this is a game and should be fun. If you stop having fun for one reason or another, don't play with that person.
Hear hear.

If the store people let him use it, well, there you go.
It all depends on the guys posistion too. Does he have the money to buy FW? Maybe he's got other finanical commitments...or is he a kid/teen, who's parents won't buy him the expensive stuff?

#4 ·
well, the mega battle was at the battlebunker, which we usually dont go to, but this kid goes to the same GW i go to and at our regular GW they said you can't just use large toys to represent titans.

#5 ·
Thats because its not a Games Workshop toy. Its made by someone elses, and GW would rather have there own shown on display on their boards...its kinda along the same reasoning of why they ask you to have your models at least undercoated, so that it doesn't look out of place and silly on the GW boards.

But just because a GW staffy says that in a GW does not mean its law anywhere else outside of a GW store.

#6 ·
the issue here is not that its a non gamesworkshop minuature. at our gamesworkshop, they allow us to use minuatures made by different manufacturers as long as they represent the models they are proxying correctly. however, this kid just brought in a action figure, which i think is completely rediculus. a gaint toy does not equal a titan. now, say if he had taken the time to convert the toy to look more like a tyranid and made it so that it had the proper bio weaponry, and maybe painted it to fit in with his army, then it might be acceptible. but, all he did was pay a couple of bucks for an action figure and said it was a titan.
i mean if he can do that, whats stoping someone from bringing in a transformer and saying its a warhound titan. i mean seeing a gaint toy run down the battlefield kind of runes the atmosphere of the game. also, its not like this kid was like too poor or something to aford a titan, i mean he already
has a massive army, its more like he's just using a cheap shortcut.

#7 ·
oh and by the way, i'm not mad he fielded a titan. if he actually brought a real titan, i would be happy to let him use it. im just mad he used a toy.

#9 ·
I definitely wouldn't let someone do that. It would be like proxying a book as a Manta or something, and I could never do that just because... I dunno. It's not even worth it, and what is worth it to me is assembling and painting my whole army and playing it on the board I built. Not only that, but having an action figure or whatever on the table kinda ruins the look of the game :\

#10 ·
I'm not saying I'd let people do it. Because yes it doesn't kinda ruin the feel of the game to some extent, but you have to look at the other side here.

If he's a kid, chances are most of his army comes from Christmas and/or birthday gifts. He won't have the money to buy one himself and to expect him too is rather silly. (Hense the reason I'm asking the guys age.)

Second of all, what if its to test out a titan? See what the rules are like before committing to spending the money on one? Its been said all ready that they cost loads. So whats the point of buying one if you don't end up liking the rules for them, or if no one hardly lets you play with one?

In hindsight I would let people proxy them to test them out. Get a feel for them etc etc, but not all the time. As long as the model is fairly real to what the persons playing.
A book to proxy a manta? Well no, because its a book. But a big aliens model is rather like a tyranid, so why not.

#11 ·
Toastee said:
I'm not saying I'd let people do it. Because yes it doesn't kinda ruin the feel of the game to some extent, but you have to look at the other side here.

If he's a kid, chances are most of his army comes from Christmas and/or birthday gifts. He won't have the money to buy one himself and to expect him too is rather silly. (Hense the reason I'm asking the guys age.)

Second of all, what if its to test out a titan? See what the rules are like before committing to spending the money on one? Its been said all ready that they cost loads. So whats the point of buying one if you don't end up liking the rules for them, or if no one hardly lets you play with one?

In hindsight I would let people proxy them to test them out. Get a feel for them etc etc, but not all the time. As long as the model is fairly real to what the persons playing.
A book to proxy a manta? Well no, because its a book. But a big aliens model is rather like a tyranid, so why not.
I'm 14, and command 3 armies XD

Yeah, I guess you're right. Under circumstances like testing a Titan or something, it would be alright, though I'd probably insist on doing some crazy that I'd like to test :rolleyes:

#12 ·
The Salmon Thief said:
I'm 14, and command 3 armies XD

Yeah, I guess you're right. Under circumstances like testing a Titan or something, it would be alright, though I'd probably insist on doing some crazy that I'd like to test :rolleyes:
When I was 14 I had maybe 200 points of IG, and maybe 1200, at a push, of Dark Angels....and those were with old 2nd Ed points costs...and I had already been playing for two, almost three years.

Most of those models came out of my pocket money, which in a boarding school, normally aint a lot. Most were also 2nd hand from friends whose parents had bought them more stuff.

If it was an adult playing with an aliens toy to proxy a bio titan all the time, I could understand alexpape7's arguement, but a kid/young teen is different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.