Getting Started With 40k - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting Started With 40k

Well, the title says it all. I want to get into Warhammer 40k (after playing the phenomonal Dawn of War) but I'm a bit lost. Can someone help me as to how I should get started playing. I mean, I don't know ANYTHING about the rules at all. Any help is appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, if you don't know ANYTHING about the rules, then I would recommend the big black book, otherwise known as the Rulebook. It shows the armies inside of it, so you could read the rules and look through the army gallery's in there and decide which one is the coolest, or the one you like the best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok thanks

But before I buy that boo, could anyone here give me a basic overview of game mechanics. I.E. how people fight, etc. I need to know this to decide if it's m kind of game of not...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Basically very easy. You and your opponent play by turns. Everything is devided into different phases. First you move, than you shoot and last but not least you charge and fight in CC. Than it's your opponets turn again and he does the mentioned things. You will have to learn how to asses spaces in inches. This sounds hard if you're not used to it, but as time proceeds you will get used to it. And you need dice, many dice... depending on which army you play you have to roll awfully many dice. You roll the dice to get to know how good your soldiers fight in close combat, whether they shoot their enemies with their guns, whether their armour prevents them from being killed and so on. It sounds very exhausting, but it's fun. You will also need some stratgic abbilities to make your army attack your enemy effectively.

The playing is only one aspect of the game! Painting, Fluff (meaning background stories etc), Conversion... many more possibilities for you.

Back to the game play. You can decide on your own if you want to shoot, shoot and shoot or if you want to attack your enemy in a deadly close combat. Everything depends on the army you choose. Hope this helped to get a first impression. Maybe you want to look through the galleries or read some articles to find out which army is the one you like based on its look, Fluff and gameplay.

Another possibility would be to visit your local GW store. Take a friend with you and they may let you play some games with the starting box (Battle for Macragge). Then they will tell you what you have to buy... maybe go home again and think about it for a while. Then after the first impression you decide whether you want to play Warhammer and which army. Believe me, you will decide to play Warhammer!

Have fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JESUS CHRIST!

This sounds hella fun. I've been looking for a game like this.

One last question, how expensive is this stuff?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x4)

It depends on what you are buying, really.

Some armies are horrendously expensive. Some are quite cheap. Most are in-between.

You might want to buy Battle For MacRagge Hobbyt Starter Set. It contains all the stuff in the normal BFM box, but also basic painting/modelling supplies to get you started.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just as another helping hand, I'll try to describe very fast about each of the races.

Tau Empire- A very, very shooty army. They rely on their guns to do the talking, and cannot really keep up in close combat.

Space Marines- The most player abundant race. They're basically super humans and can be fitted for different roles: Close Combat, or Ranged. You could also do a nice balance of in-between.

Chaos S.Marines- These are basically evil Space Marines. They are a little more suited towards close combat, in my opinion. They also have things like Daemon's to help 'em out.

Daemonhunters- Space Marines that are specilised against Daemon's (Chaos). They use the special Grey Knights for this role.

Dark Eldar- Not recommended for you.

Eldar- Eldar could be considered Elven kind. They have troops that specilize in certain roles. (Howling Banshee's are for close combat, Dark Reapers are used for shooting etc.)

Imperial Guard- Essintially the humans of the future. Large in numbers, but not indivually strong. They rely on their numbers and their tanks (which are very good).

Necrons- Heartless, soulless, killing machines (literally). The Necrontyr are machines that want only one thing, and that is everything dead. I don't have too much expeirence with these guys, so I'll leave it to someone else to help out.

Tyranids- These guys are aliens and they are close combat monsters.

Orks- WAGGGGGHHHHHHHHH. They are like the Orc's you have probably read in any kind of fantasy book. They are good at close combat too.

Witch Hunters- They are females in power armour (if thats your thing). I have nothing on this army either so, need a person who plays 'em.

Could anybody go over this and refine it to help him out?

Hunched Over My Workbench, furiously painting away.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x2)

Here are a few other thoughts from the purchasing side of the game.

Tau Empire- Recently updated codex (race rules) a very deadly army in the right hands, but can't take a ton of punishment themselves. Be prepared to use a lot of cover, and shoot like hell to make sure the enemy can't get to you.

Space Marines- Has new codex. Kind of the all-purpose army. You might get sick of them, as almost every player has a SM army, you end up playing SM vs SM.

Chaos S.Marines- Tend to be expensive once you start adding all the cool units. Endless opportunities for conversions. Can be very deadly.

Daemonhunters- $$$$$$$$$$$$$. Basically all of the models are metal, and expensive.

Dark Eldar- Not recommended for you. SERIOUSLY. Also, this army is in limbo. GW has pulled them from stores and they are only found by direct order from GW or on ebay. They are also VERY fragile, and rely almost entirely on speed and cover for protection.

Eldar- They have a new rule book (codex) coming out in OCT, if you are interested in them, wait until then.

Imperial Guard- tanks, tanks, tanks, tanks. The only people I've ever played against with a IG army are tank guys. That said, there is a TON of variety found in IG armies, and you can tailor yours to your tastes. (although all I ever see is TANKS )

Necrons- inexpensive to start an army of. They have a special rule called "we'll be back" which allows you to re-animate models that have been destroyed. They have some brutal weapons too. Easy to paint and convert. Not a bad starter army.

Tyranids- Like the movie "aliens"? These guys will shred nearly anyone if you get them into hand-to-hand combat. Cool models too. This is another army (like the space marines) that you see a LOT of. Probably because they come in the starter game box, Battle for Macragge.

Orks- Wait. They have a new rule book due out in the next several months.

Witch Hunters- $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. See daemon hunters
    Baby, when I'm the voice of reason, we've got problems!
    ~artificer

Someone should stop
    Jervis "let's make it easy enough for a 3 year old to play" Johnson
    before he turns 40k into checkers

~anon

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by artificer
    Space Marines- Has new codex. Kind of the all-purpose army. You might get sick of them, as almost every player has a SM army, you end up playing SM vs SM.
    Yeah, don't take smurfs. Everybody plays smurfs.
    Daemonhunters- $$$$$$$$$$$$$. Basically all of the models are metal, and expensive.
    That's a little unfair. Sure, per squad, because of the metal, DH armies are pricier. BUT the units themselves cost many more points, too, so you don't need nearly as many models to field a full army as virtually any other army, so it all balances out. You won't spend more on a DH army than you would on any other. I play DH, and the reason I picked them was because the Grey Knight and Grey Knight Terminator models are, IMHO, the absolute best-looking models in the game. Painted up, they are an amazing-looking force. Since that beginning, I've become attracted to the idea of playing the Grey Knights, who are extremely dangerous no matter how you slice it. They truly are the elite of the elite. They come standard with strong armor defense, extra strength, extra attacks, and the most potent standard shooting weapon of any basic troop: the storm bolter. And being part of the inquisition, you can also field assassins, which are just plain mean (and fun).
    Necrons- inexpensive to start an army of. They have a special rule called "we'll be back" which allows you to re-animate models that have been destroyed. They have some brutal weapons too. Easy to paint and convert. Not a bad starter army.
    I hate playing against this army! But, truth to be told, it really is the ideal force for getting your feet wet. If you're not overly partial to the models to another force, I think the 'crons are the best army to begin gaming with.
    Orks- Wait. They have a new rule book due out in the next several months.
    I think Orks have most fun of any 40K force. They're a little random, a little weird, a little silly, and a lot of smashmouth fun. Lots of conversion modelling possibilities here, too. If you can borrow an existing Ork codex, then I'd consider starting with this army. Otherwise, wait for the updated codex in several months.
    Witch Hunters- $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. See daemon hunters
    Depending on what you employ, yeah, this can be a rather pricey force. But there's no arguing with how effective Sisters of Battle can be. They have special "Faith" rules that allow them to augment their combat capabilities to match exactly what they need at any particular point in the flow. Because of their Faith, they can be some of the deadliest foes you can face, especially at short range. Tactics often involve lots of transports and jump packs to get up close as quickly as possible before opening up on you with lots of flame and melta weapons. And let's not forget Seraphim! My favorite unit in the 40K game! I often take an allied squad with my Grey Knights.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Necrons have a lot of background and cool units. One of the funniest things you'll see as a Necron player is to smash a unit of Pariahs into close combat againest guys (who are supposedly in real life) 8 feet tall, wear gloves that can slice you and five other guys spleen out with a high five, only to be cut down by seven-feet-tall (again, supposedly in real life) metallic-engraved-in-metal-body-cup-wearing-half-mutant-human-thing-holding-giant-axe-sword-clever-
    thing-that-can-chop-off-your-thing-through-that-armor-thing.

(Necrons can field Pariahs, awesome Assault troops, and SM can field Terminators, who in the right hands, can be your worse nightmare)

I would suggest looking at the range of models to choose from.
    http://store.us.games-workshop.com/s...=10&GameNav=10
    If terrorists ask you "Do you have a bullet through your head?" say proudly, with dignity, "No, I do not. Go fish."

Catalysts of Iron/Iron Warriors 0/0/0

Soldiers of the Forge Worlds Clan Founder.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast