Blue Table Painting Update 84
Tuesday, August 1, 2006
Issue 84
Like this newsletter? Supplements and newsflash updates are out twice a week! Sign up on the front page of our website.

Openings in Early August
We’re ready to start in on your project as early as Monday, August 7. You can send models today and they will get attention as soon as they come in the door.

Get the new 40K download spreadsheets here. Now with extra Forge-Worldy goodness. Check out the second-page tab. More still coming.

Or Direct:

Blue Table Buzz- Now Improved
Here’s the improved version of the Buzz program. It occurred to me that most people don’t use more than a few forums. Give a good review of our work on forums or newsgroups and get up to a $20.00 credit for assembly or painting on your next army. OK, here are the rules:
· Must be for a full army you had painted by Blue Table
· A full army would be any project of $100 or more. Fair enough?
· You must really mean it!
· Please email me the links to your posts. Subject line Blue Table Buzz
· Your posts should include a link to
· You can make up to two posts on different sites at $10.00 each.
· You will get an email back confirming your credit.
· You can get a direct link to a Gallery album by right-clicking the text description, choosing Properties then copying the link.
· This is being run during August and September 2006.

Warhammer on Special
During August 2006 Blue Table will acquire your Games Workshop models for 20% off. Please mention the July special from this update. If you want a whole army done, I will give you an even sweeter bulk deal on your models.

Chaos on the Level
Last week I painted up three sample Chaos Warriors showing Blue Table levels two, three and four. There are close-ups of various parts and explanations of why they qualify for each level. Here they are:

Levels- Now with Extra Chart-iness
See bottom of page for specifics. Here is the article from last week in case you missed it, and the chart for pricing for the various levels on different types of models (if this does not show up right on your screen, email me and I’ll send it as an attachment):

How to Decide
Warhammer and 40K armies, as well as other games that involved massed infantry, are best off painted with a 3/5 arrangement (basic troops done at 3 and heroes done at 5. That is what is reflected on the pre-made spreadsheets for Warhammer.

If you’re on a budget, you should do a 2/5 spread for your Warhammer army. If you can afford to play at all, you can afford to have your army painted this way. This is also set up so you can do an all L2 force.

For skirmish games, like War Machine or Confrontation, a 4/6 arrangement is the best and again this is what is reflected in the pre-made sheets. We won’t do anything less than a L4 for these types of games. The models are too detailed and subject to too close scrutiny to do them with less detail.

For Vehicles in 40K, a L3 is generally a black base with a basic traditional job on it. Vehicles that have vehicle upgrades need to be L4.

Definitions and Examples
Infantry: models on 20-25mm bases, Wolves, Furies.
Large Infantry: Terminators, Trolls, Light Warjacks, Wolfen.
War Machine: includes the cost of crew.
Large Hero: cavalry heroes, Inquisitor.
Small Vehicle: Sentinel, Heavy Warjack, Heavy Warbeast.
Medium Vehicle: Rhino, Land Speeder, Ork Trukk, Dreadnought
Large Vehicle: Land Raider, Hammerhead, Grav Tank
Appendage: This is an extra charge for a banner or wings, for example

Happenings at the Studio
Bill and Ty just turned out my fabuloso Khador army, with sculpted baggage and gear. Just amazing. Weird Science Skaven are coming.

We are gearing up for an invitational Warhammer Fantasy Tournament on the 19th, to be held at the studio. We have made three specialty boards so far: Arctic, Desert and Lustrian Ruins.

I broke away from the studio for a three day weekend in Wyoming at a family reunion. Tamie’s relatives come from Star Valley, some of the early Mormon pioneers. Both the trip up and back were rough on account of Griffin, a cranky baby. The first night in the cabin he was whining the whole time—squealing, shrieking, and spitting out his food. Where’s my crib!? Where’s my bug lamp!? Where’s my green bear!? He didn’t do so well. I feel for the little guy.

I finally figured out the food-spitting thing. He wants to eat with a fork now. Griffin is really into doing whatever it is we’re doing. That’s the advantage of the youngest, the trail has been blazed.

The reunion itself was chock full of old people and good food. I painted a ton of kids’ faces, my annual contribution to the event. The funny thing is, after the face paint was washed off, that the kids ended up with white marks on their face where the paint prevented sunburn.

After the first night, we entered that magical time where you’re really together as a family, you know what I mean? Everyone forgets about home and you are just… together. We were having a picnic on the cabin floor late at night, throwing grapes into Jonah’s mouth. We ate leftover dutch oven chicken and peach cobbler.

I have a full head of hair, but I love being bald. The only thing that keeps me from shaving my head on the first day of summer is this reunion—I don’t want to embarrass my wife. On our way home this year we stopped at the house of Tamie’s best friend and I spared no time getting out the buzzer and shaving off all my lustrous brown (and grey) locks. Ever gone bald? It’s liberating. You lose 80% of your heat through your head. What does that feel like? Feels like your head is cold. It’s nature’s air conditioning. Check the website this week for pics.

Reach out and Touch Someone
Shawn = Owner
· Yahoo Messenger ID is jazzmouth
· Phone 801 372 8545 see if I don’t pick up!

Heather L. = Office Manager
· Yahoo Messenger ID is middlepillarpath

All the best,
Shawn Gately

Blue Table Painting
Objective Painting Standards

This is a guide for painting figures, to keep quality within a range of quality.

Some models are more complex than others by virtue of how they are sculpted. This is primarily why there is a range of price inside each level.

Models that are larger will pay more because of the amount of area that needs to be painted. However, they must still meet the same definitions according to their level.

When the Art Director critiques a group of ten or more models of Level 3 or less, the models are considered as a group with only a few pulled out as representative of the group. Other models are all given 360 degree consideration of every model.

Rating 1-9.........................Client pays for Infantry

Level 2- Tabletop.........................$2.50-$3.00

Paint applied to whole model
Two levels of shading
Basic base (one feature)
Minor errors are evident at 18 inches
No eyes

Level 3- Wargamer.........................$5.00-$7.50

Three levels of shading
Standard base
A few minor errors evident at 12 inches
Zero or one form of embellishment
Basic Eyes

Level 4- Elite.........................$8.00-9.50

Four levels of shading
Standard base
No errors
Clean Eyes

Two or Three of the following:
§ Specialty Base
§ Embellishment
§ Detailed Embellishment (counts as two)

Level 5- Champion.........................$12-18

Four levels of shading
Decorative base
No errors
Clean Eyes

Three or Four of the following:
§ Specialty Base
§ Embellishment

Level 6- Hero.........................$20-28

Five levels of shading
Narrative base
No errors
Detailed Eyes and Face

Four or Five of the following:
§ Decorative Base
§ Specialty Base (counts as two)
§ Embellishment

Level 7- Display Quality.........................$50-125

Level 8- Award-Winning.........................$150-450

Level 9- Divine.........................$500-1500

Levels Shading
Shading has reference to the blending of one color into another to create the illusion of depth. The smoothness and distinctness of the transitions is the key here. In this case it can also refer to other elements added to enhance the appearance or feel of the model. Most, if not the entire model should meet the requirements for shading even if different parts qualify for different reasons.

Traditionally, shading is achieved with layering, drybrushing or blending. And these techniques can be used to qualify for a layer of shading according to this guide. However, drybrushing can only ever count as one level of shading.

A well-applied single or dual layer of glaze can count as two or three layers of shading

1) a deep, almost black layer.
2) a mid-range layer.
3) and a lighter layer at the highest points.

To achieve further levels of shading, or the equivalent to meet the standards of this guide, you can:
§ Deepen the recesses
§ Highlight the high areas
§ Provide differentiation of tone or color between areas
§ Undercoat with a solid layer of paint
§ An embellishing layer (eg rust, slime, polished areas)
§ Differentiation of color or contrast (eg picking out belts, rivets)
§ Blackscale on top of a deeper layer (counted as one or two layers)

Plain Base
(no features, just painted solid and flocked)

Standard Base
(two features, eg gravel and grass, most bases from the Basing Guide are like this)

Decorative Base
(standard base with one feature, eg rock, skull, bush, wreckage)
A Decorative Base of 30mm or larger may need 2-3 features
If there is no feature included during assembly, the painter should create one (this can be something non-integral, like a pool of blood, or a bush which can be added after priming and painting)

Custom Base
(the top of the base is completely re-done and has 1-2 features)

Narrative Base
This is a type of Custom Base, but has an unusual element that contributes to the story of the model, something to enhance the flow or background of the piece.

Dioramic Base
(generally can only be done for large models, includes features that tell a story, up to and including one simple additional figure)

Complex Dioramic Base (dioramic base with the attention given Level 4 attention)

Award-winning Dioramic Base (dioramic base with Level 6 attention)

· War paint
· Tribal markings or Tattoos
· Embroidery (on a cloak, for example)
· Runework (on clothing, weapons, sheathes, quivers, etc.)
· Patterns (on clothing, weapons, sheathes, etc. could be dags, spirals, squares, arabesques, or the like)
· Weathering (dust on robes, rust, pock marks, dribbling slime)

Detailed Embellishment (same as above but with more detail)

Eyes and Face
Basic Eyes (white with black iris)
Clean Eyes (edge, white with black iris)
Detailed Eyes (edge, white with black iris and eyebrows)
Detailed Face (same as above but with lips)