GW metal models - a return to the 80's ? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Hunched Over My Workbench, furiously painting away.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x2)

GW metal models - a return to the 80's ?

Are we experiencing a return to the flat-plane (or partially recycled) minis of the 80's? Possible evidence:

1) The new (apparently limited edition) Eldar Autarch with the wings on his head. A very flat, 2-D model, that in my opinion lacks inspiration. Also smacks of the DA captain from the 80's.

2) The new eldar rangers. I am painting 10 of them for a client when it hits me. Has anybody besides me noticed that they couldn't even bother to sculpt 5 original models for this release? Of the 5 models in a box, only 1 has no matching parts on any of it's siblings (the crouching one). The others are paired up and share massive amounts of body. The flowing cloaks and feet on each pair are basically identical, with only the details of the upper bodies varying. Also, the cloaks are solid at the arm holes... It's like they decided to make the models from 2 part molds instead of 3 or 4 part molds to produce them more easily. The WHOLE end of the cloak covering the arm is solid, no cutting back in to show 3 dimensions, just a flat slab of metal.

It just seems like GW isn't putting the manpower into their newest metal models like they have recently (even as recently as the jump pack chaplain). Or perhaps I'm just a grumpy old ****!

I should add that I AM REALLY impressed by the resin versions of the new eldar exarchs, I hope they translate as well to metal.

Baby, when I'm the voice of reason, we've got problems!
    ~artificer

Someone should stop
    Jervis "let's make it easy enough for a 3 year old to play" Johnson
    before he turns 40k into checkers

~anon

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow... I never even realized they bothered to do the 3d thing. All the metal minis I have are pretty much solid....
    W/D/L
    Tau - Knights of the Frozen Wastes
    10/2/4

Necrons - The Phalanx of Gleaming Death
    2/0/0

CSM - Iron Warriors
    Coming Soon

98% of the teen population has smoked weed, if you are the 2% that hasn't, put this in your signature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all the minis GW are pumping out now are computerised, so i would guess that they would jsut change the pose of the rangers and then they have 2 instead of 1 i guess...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

well the autarch was done by gary morley (sp?) who did the dark eldar range, and has a nack for designing models in 2d.
    and the eldar rangers? to be honest i dont know why your moaning at them, as many ppl have classed them as some of the best minatures to date by games workshop, so they cut some corners? are they still not great minis?

i think the bigger problem, is in the early 90's when models came in lead, they had hardly any sprue mess ups, whenever i get these tin minis these days, their seems to be large chunks of metal where their wouldnt have been before and hundreds of tiny imperfections, and did i mention its really freaking hard to superglue this tin stuff now :wacko:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine
    If you buy a fire prism you get a complete falcon plus the extra bits required to make ti into a complete waste of space

Hunched Over My Workbench, furiously painting away.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Snuggles
    and the eldar rangers? to be honest i dont know why your moaning at them, as many ppl have classed them as some of the best minatures to date by games workshop, so they cut some corners? are they still not great minis?...
    As I've said, the minis themself are GOOD, they look nice (certainly WAY better than the god-awful possessed chaos marines) but again, for all the hype they made about the rangers, they couldn't bother to give you 5 completely different models? Little things like hollowing the sleeves make such a big difference, if they could do it on the eldar warlocks from the late 80's, why can they not do it now (or why WON'T they?) $$$.
    Baby, when I'm the voice of reason, we've got problems!
    ~artificer

Someone should stop
    Jervis "let's make it easy enough for a 3 year old to play" Johnson
    before he turns 40k into checkers

~anon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by artificer
    As I've said, the minis themself are GOOD, they look nice (certainly WAY better than the god-awful possessed chaos marines) but again, for all the hype they made about the rangers, they couldn't bother to give you 5 completely different models? Little things like hollowing the sleeves make such a big difference, if they could do it on the eldar warlocks from the late 80's, why can they not do it now (or why WON'T they?) $$$.

yes, nail on head, the $$,

ps
    i agree i really hate the possed marines as well
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine
    If you buy a fire prism you get a complete falcon plus the extra bits required to make ti into a complete waste of space

+ Reply to Thread