Issue 89

§ Musings A Little Respect
§ On the Block Khorne and Red Imperial Guard
§ New this Week Chaos Mortals, Bane Thralls, Mid Nor and 15 more
§ Happenings at the Studio Now Hiring
§ Deals and Promos Double Deal, US Armed Forces
§ Personal Eye Doctor
§ Contact Info
Like this newsletter? Supplements and newsflash updates are out twice a week! Sign up on the front page of our website.

Musings- A Little Respect
All right all you gamers. How did it come to this? You’re in your thirties and still playing the games that you played in junior high. I remember hanging out in the library and playing Champions. In my 8th grade yearbook there’s an article entitled =Computers, Expensive Toys or Wave of the Future?= When they took away our dice we wrote numbers on the six sides of pencils.

Now, I got like six other people making their rent off of these games, we’re Incorporated, I have an accountant , and I just had in an insurance rep to talk to me about medical benefits for the crew. It’s really something.

The problem is the relatives. I’ve found that among staff their families regard what we do as not a legitimate enterprise. Listen up folks, that’s my goal: to get a little respect. Painting miniatures is now an above board profession. We’re close to it being as valid as any other career. Oh, except it doesn’t suck to come to work every day.

I never even look at the clock when I’m at work. Maybe I’ll glance up at like 3pm and think =hey it’s three already= Time flies when you’re having fun. You can’t put a price on job satisfaction.

I have a hard time finding Painters. I think it’s because of that image—that we’re just a bunch never-grew-ups and you should get a real job. It’s tough to win the wives over especially. They change their tune when the first paycheck comes, though.

Where was I going with all this? Oh yeah, I think that over the next few years the unbelievers will be converted. Blue Table Painting Incorporated is going to be around for thirty years. Then I’ll be buried. Then the torch will pass to someone else.

Speaking of torch-passing, I’m now in the process of replacing myself as administrator/manager. We’re writing a comprehensive Operations Manual—the rulebook of how to run the studio. It’s amazingly complicated. That’s why I think that these sorts of operations don’t grow much past two or three people (we have ten). Then, I’m going to invest all authority in a few leaders. Then, I’m going back to being a painter! Yes, that’s what I really want to do. More of a mentoring role, too. In the next six months we’re going to create the School of Paintology.

What does this mean to you the consumer? I have a client who ordered an army just over two years ago. He sold the army to someone in Europe. Now that European gamer is getting three expansion units to the army. We still have the pics on file.

Our current crew is completely dedicated. Some moved from across the country, leaving family and stable jobs to be here. Every last one is in for the long haul.

There’s more. Andy is creeping up on a year with the company full time. He puts in like 50-60 hour work weeks, and gladly. Guess how many armies he’s painted in that first year. FORTY-TWO. That’s right. On top of the dozens he did before he started. Do you know how much he’s improved? A lot. Now, imagine the Blue Table crew in five years, after each person has painted 200 armies! Two of the crew are starting to practice sculpting. It’s you, the Blue Table Client, that is going to benefit from that experience.

We’ve had our bumps and shocks, but we’ve always righted ourselves. And thanks to YOU who have made it possible. Thanks x 1,000,000.

On the Block
There are some new listings in our For Sale section including some Khorne stuff and FW Imperial Guard. Oh, and my prized Sasha’s Widows war machine army.

We now accept major credit cards. You can make payment over the phone just like normal! Our phone number is 801 372 8545· Credit Card (American Express, Discover, Mastercard or Visa)
· Money Order
· Paypal to

New this Week
Oh my, there are like twenty new projects. Check the New Stuff Gallery

Personally, I’m working on a Chaos Mortals army. I’m doing it for a lark, so that means that it will be on the block soon enough. Here are some teaser pics:

Also, we now have a fabulously converted, yet unpainted Dark Elf army. What’s in it? One Lord on Dragon, Prince on Cold one, three Sorceresses, 20 Corsairs, 20 Spearmen, 12 Crossbowmen, 25 Dark Riders, 9 Cold One Knights, 2 Chariots, 2 Bolt Throwers, and 1 Hydra and handlers. Cost is something like $600 for materials, $1200 for painting, and $500 for assembly. These guys are just looking for a home… meaning someone to commission the painting for the project. Oh, and everything has magnetized movement trays.

Happenings at the Studio

We’re hiring. If you’re local we have: packing, cleaning, administrative (part time to start), assembly, and painting. Or maybe even all of those things rolled into one full time gig. OK, now the second part: in two or four months we’re going to need a new full-time Painter and that’s worth moving here for. Contact me for details.

Deals and Promos- Double Deal
First off, Blue Table now gives a standard 20% off on commonly available models that you would like to commission for assembly and painting. Some foreign companies are excepted (like Forge World, and Infinity Games, etc.) since they only sell their stuff at full price and do not use US distributors.

Second off, Blue Table gives a standard 30% off on models for the men of the US armed forces. Applies to models available for distribution in the US, like above; for commissioned work. End product must be shipped to an APO/FPO.

A few months back I was waiting for my wife at the front of Wal Mart and for a kick I took an eye exam. Turns out I have 70/20 vision with my glasses on! I don’t remember how the numbers go, but that’s the bad one. I shouldn’t be driving.

So, I went to the eye doctor the other day and got a new prescription. My old glasses are completely messed up. I have pinning wire holding them together. They are cloudy with superglue spots. They won’t even stay on my face.

Aaaaanyway, the eye doctor said that because I was near-sighted my resting focal point is a lot closer to my face, and that’s good for my profession. I don’t have to strain to focus on something ten inches away. He also said that my sight was unlikely to be harmed by painting long term. So, I’m excited that my eyes are healthy and that I’m not slowly going blind…. Well not more than a normal person does with age.

Contact Info
Shawn = Owner
· Yahoo Messenger ID is jazzmouth
· Phone 801 372 8545 see if I don’t pick up!

Heather L. = Office Manager
· Yahoo Messenger ID is middlepillarpath

All the best,
Shawn Gately