Is it just me? or is Gw starting to annoy you recently? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it just me? or is Gw starting to annoy you recently?

Is it me, or is games workshop starting to annoy you?

it is really starting to annoy me recently.

First of all:

1.) they are closing my local Store. Ok so maybe Winchester isnt as big as maybe london, or maybe southampton, but it is the only local store in the area. Head office claims that we can go to basingstoke, or southampton, but they are 30 mins on the train, and to be honest, i dont want an hours journeying time to and from gw just to play a game. its madness!

2.) the prices!! what the hell! when i first started collecting space marines, a tactical squad cost a mere 12 pounds. ok so inflation etc pushes cost up to an extend, but it has got to the point where i am being forced out of the hobby due to the cost. i work 10 hours a weekend, and get some money, but not much. and after i have brought normal teenage essential stuff, i cant really buy much. and besides, i dont want to waste what little money i have on something which is serverly over priced!

ok thats my rant almost over, but i was wondering, is there anyone else out there who also is getting frustrated at gw?

C.G

"i pity the poor fool"

COMMISSAR GAUNT

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    -52 (x0)

i agree wholeheartedly,
    "Goebbels was in favor of free speech for views he liked. So was Stalin. If you're in favor of free speech, then you're in favor of freedom of speech precisely for views you despise. Otherwise, you're not in favor of free speech."
    youve been legal pwned

Pwned by Phobos. LictorInTheGrass's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -27 (x0)

Oh god...

Another one...

Okay, GW is a business, stockholders first, customers second. Then you are right about inflation but thats not it. Increasing energy cost are a part of it as well. Plus there is demand and supply factors, cost of material (plastic is a petroleum product).

As for the store, probably didn't justify the cost, ie not enough buyers and etc. I suggest you make your own terrain.

Someone close this thread, this is one to many GW bashing threads. Make a universal one.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x3)

I don't really agree at all, I love Games Workshop and all their little devils. It shouldn't be too much of an issue for you, you can take your driving test in a year and away you go

I have been playing for a lot longer than you and remember the prices being a hell of a lot lower, it is just one of those things. The prices were lower but the quality of the models (marines for example) has improved a hell of a lot.
    Helper monkey, bring me beer and donuts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-52 (x0)

ive been playing since 89 I KNOW the prices have gone up, in many cases in an unjustified, noninflation related way. Some people just dont handle criticism well, notwithstanding the fact that the whole reason we come together is to talk, share information, deliberate, criticise, communicate, etc.
    "Goebbels was in favor of free speech for views he liked. So was Stalin. If you're in favor of free speech, then you're in favor of freedom of speech precisely for views you despise. Otherwise, you're not in favor of free speech."
    youve been legal pwned

Pwned by Phobos. LictorInTheGrass's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -27 (x0)

I bash GW all the time, I just know it is pointless. All this talk is pointless because we have no power. Conformity does not exist to bring GW to it knees to make better prices, because since it is a stockholder world now, they'd just shut down instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to say my local GW is great, yeh prices are expensive but: what ya gonna do about it? With the shop also, the company doesn't care that you are going to have to make an hour round journey, because as someone before me said, the company wants to satisfy the stockholders first, and if closing the store is going to save GW money then thats what they will do. I'm not trying to be too harsh here, but is there anything you can really do about it? Probably not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

58 (x1)

You should be happy there's a store within 1/2 an hour of your place. Many places in the US don't have stores within their own state! Even with a store in your state many people have to drive an hour or more.
    R.I.P. Iron Warriors, you will be missed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x8)

I sympathize with the OP about the closing of his store. However I think you are taking the closure a bit too personal. They aren't closing the store because they want you to travel an hour further each way. They are closing it because it is not profitable to them anymore.

What would be the point of keeping open a store that is continuously losing money just so you could game? Maybe you could start a local club - maybe even out of your house or a friends so that you can meet and game closer...

As for prices - this topic has been debated to death. I am not going to say prices aren't high. They are... but they aren't so outrageous as to cause me to stop painting/playing. Look for alternative methods of buying (trading/ebay/online stores/ etc.) to get slightly lower prices. Barring that maybe now would be a good time since funds are low to really get yourself into painting. Paint up what you have and slowly add to it!

Cheers,

-Mike

Now offering an affordable Tournament Legal Quality Commission pricing. Find out more here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x6)

1.) they are closing my local Store. Ok so maybe Winchester isnt as big as maybe london, or maybe southampton, but it is the only local store in the area. Head office claims that we can go to basingstoke, or southampton, but they are 30 mins on the train, and to be honest, i dont want an hours journeying time to and from gw just to play a game. its madness!
    The closest store to my house is a 45 minute drive. You go and buy what you need once every 3-4 months or you mail order. As for games, find somewhere else to play; like a house or school.

2.) the prices!! what the hell! when i first started collecting space marines, a tactical squad cost a mere 12 pounds. ok so inflation etc pushes cost up to an extend, but it has got to the point where i am being forced out of the hobby due to the cost. i work 10 hours a weekend, and get some money, but not much. and after i have brought normal teenage essential stuff, i cant really buy much. and besides, i dont want to waste what little money i have on something which is serverly over priced!
    Actually prices on most boxed sets actually went down this summer. That aside, yes the prices are higher than anyone wants them to be, but they've yet to get to be too high because we're still buying. Also it's good to remember that this hobby isn't about shopping, I think I've spent $30 on GW in the last year.

In any case do you play video games? I remember when a new game cost a whole $20, now they hang around at $50+. The first system I bought was a comparatively priced N64 for a whole $100 dollars, apparently the PS3 is going to cost $500. Long story short, everything's going up, we just pay more attention to GW.

On another note what is this normal teenage essential stuff you're spending money on. I don't think I spent more than $5-10 a month (about 3-7 pounds if I remember correctly) and that included gas.

ok thats my rant almost over, but i was wondering, is there anyone else out there who also is getting frustrated at gw?
    Despite everything I've just said, I am. How can one not be, there are codices I want out now that aren't going to be out for at least 2 years, their models are expensive, and I don't have enough RAM to play Dawn of War on my laptop.
    Veni Vidi Variant
    I came, I saw, I got a different type of Leman Russ.

The spikey ones go faster.

98% of the teen population has smoked weed, the other 2% went straight to crack.

Saga of the Ages. Click it.

Rules for grenades are on page 72 of the rulebook.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast