How to stop 'strategic scenery' placing? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

How to stop 'strategic scenery' placing?

Hi,

Just about every game I play against my regular opponent, he places a hill on both sides of the field, so that no matter who chooses sides, he will always have a hill.
    Since his main army is dwarves, I find this a little unfair. It is fair in the sense that we both get a hill, but unfair in the sense that it helps shooty dwarves alot more than CC style elven army.. he takes S7 bolt throwers which blow up my chariots first turn every time.. I had thought of ways to hide them behind units to avoid this but the hill always means he can see over most things..

I can understand a shooty army wanting hills, much the same as woodelves wanting forests..but every single game seems a bit..silly?.. Elves are fast sneaky and cunning.. why would every engagement they have with dwarfs be faught on the dwarves terms? (elves attacking well entrenched dwarves with highground) Surely it would be the elves who catch the dwarves off-guard and at a disadvantage on low ground..

Anyway, do you agree that its unfair? & if so, how would you go about discouraging this sort of thing? any ideas? (friendly of course lol).

Thanks

Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

yes, I do think it is very unfair.

If it was me I would talk to this gamer and tell them what you feel and ask for a different set up of terrain.

Or why dont you just set up the terrain?
    AGLOCO - Earn money by browsing the internet!

Quote Originally Posted by Krevzi and Me
    Warhammer is like crack. But more expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    Learn parasite, that us Chaos players like to have our cake and eat it. In fact, we particularly like stealing the poor necrons' cake and eating that too, because they're too slow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as parisite said, i think that it is unfair.

You could tell him straight out that you think that it is unfair, but you could also do it in a more subtle way.

i.e. "hey man lets put the hills over here"

W/T/L- 85 Billion/1/4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

I would ask a third party to setup the field. You two should agree on where you are fighting, then using the terrain suggestions in teh back of the book have the 3rd person setup the field. Then you can both role for starting locations.

Geronimo, look out below. Here comes the brother with the offbeat flow. I just fell from the mother ship.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know exsactly what you mean. at the place i play at the younger players love to just set up walls on both sides and barbed wire in the middle (for tau against a CC chaos army in 40k) or the hill thing for skaven against CC chaos for fantasty.

what ive found being the best soulution is getting a third party to just randomly set up terrain. make sure they dont know what armys are playing. or are rather impartial. ive found that it will ensure that it has an even balance of terrain and will not favor any player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, I do think its fair, if you both get 1 hill. He's using it to his own advantage while your not using your hill to your own advantage, when you do you might just win. If your army is a CC oriented army perhaps you can move the hill more towards the center so make all your units move up and use the hill as cover and have the bolt thrower focus on your chariot while yuor troops move up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clone-Trooper View Post
    Personally, I do think its fair, if you both get 1 hill. He's using it to his own advantage while your not using your hill to your own advantage, when you do you might just win. If your army is a CC oriented army perhaps you can move the hill more towards the center so make all your units move up and use the hill as cover and have the bolt thrower focus on your chariot while yuor troops move up.

the problem is that some armys are unable to use a hill to any advantage. Chaos has no reason to have a hill (even the hellcannon has no reason to be on a hill) and a CC elf army wouldnt benifit from a hill either.

It is redlicious to think that EVERY battle you play that both sides have a hill. its unrealistic and unfair to the player.

also, the way i understand the back and forth scenery placement is that once a piece is placed, it is there. you cant move it. so to push it twords the middle doesnt help anything. plus in that case why not just push both hills to the middle? im sure the dwarf army would just love that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x2)

I usualy ask an neutral person or i put the scenery on my opponents side and he on mine

"I could calculate your chance of survival, but you won't like it."
    "Shut up! Sit your ass down in that chair and DRINK YOUR GODDAMN TEA!" - Cid FFVII

Hunched Over My Workbench, furiously painting away.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x2)

where are you playing that there is always a "green field" board just begging for a couple of hills?

I'd suggest playing on a few different terrains if available. Our local has about 7 permanenty terrained tables, and 7 or so "green field" boards. Perhaps playing on a totally different terrain (chaos wastes, through a town, or in a river valley), or as mentioned above, get a 3rd party to set the terrain. It's a bit boring to play the same "each one of us has a hill at 12" from the board edge and perhaps there are a few trees along one side" sort of board.
    Baby, when I'm the voice of reason, we've got problems!
    ~artificer

Someone should stop
    Jervis "let's make it easy enough for a 3 year old to play" Johnson
    before he turns 40k into checkers

~anon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

We generally dont have a third party to set up for us. We mostly play at his house not a store.

Normally we take it in turns placing a piece of scenery. So I will try to avoid hills by placing forests & buildings etc, but then he just uses 2 of his turns to place both hills.
    Another suggestion ive heard is for the host to set up the board but let the guest choose his side, rather than rolling. but that wont stop there from being a hill on both sides.

I do have 2 Bolt throwers in most of my lists, but both of his armies have deepstriking units (dwarf minors & tomb king spider) so if i keep them both close together on a hill, the deepstrikers can kill both.. hence i can only put 1 on the hill and the other loses line of sight due to friendlies.

Perhaps I could suggest a scenario? like "hey, why not play a raid scenario? you get set up defensively with your hills etc, but I get first turn (to represent the attackers surging forward)"
    it doesnt make sence for defenders to be dug in AND get first crack at shooting the attackers who are standing there doing nothing..

This thread was the other idea lol, he's an LO member, he might see it and realise.

EDIT: oh and yes we use the "green field" board. Its the only one we have.
    I spent 2 months doing a kick-ass dragon which im using for the first time today, if it gets blown away before it gets a chance to do anything (due to the hills = nowhere to hide), I wont be too happy.
    Last edited by Manu_Forti; October 15th, 2006 at 03:16.
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast