metal eldar - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: metal eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

metal eldar

Why are most of the new eldar models pewter? I thought plastic was less expensive and certainly easier to work with. Converting metal models can be a nightmare for less experienced modellers like myself. I figured GW would put almost all stuff out as plastic.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x4)

You "just" forgot to mention plastic War Walker, plastic Wraithlord, oh yes and plastic Dire Avengers too. :sleep:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

The truth is I have no idea why they are.

Money wise, it's not more or less expensive. Metal costs more to set up, but cheaper to make (and vice versa for plastics). So GW are expecting to sell a lot.

And horseman, there are those plastic ones, but most are metal. But there's always green stuff. :w00t:
    AGLOCO - Earn money by browsing the internet!

Quote Originally Posted by Krevzi and Me
    Warhammer is like crack. But more expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    Learn parasite, that us Chaos players like to have our cake and eat it. In fact, we particularly like stealing the poor necrons' cake and eating that too, because they're too slow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently metal models can have a lot more detail on them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Necrons army
    W/L/D

0/2/1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe, but have you seen the new plastics? Lots of detail, in fact, maybe a little too much some days.

I guess it's just frustrating to see them showbaot the new plastic process or whatever, then release metal venerable dreds, metal infantry, etc...
    [Table 1-1: Signature] D6: 1 (nothing) 2 (quote) 3 (image) 4 (WLD record: relevant game [table 1-2]) 5 (internet meme) 6 (Critical Sig: roll 2 more times)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

Have you also noticed that the quality of the model is much better on plastics?? Not just the finish, but the whole thing. More work has to be put into plastics, and on a general scale, metal is cheaper.
    Especially in creating your moulds. You don't have to really worry about poor cooling, hot spots, venting and all that to the same extent as plastics, and metal flows nicer as a pure molten liquid into a mould.

For plastics, a lot of work has to go into your mix and getting the properties right. And then you have the options of how you are going to get the plastic into the actual mould, blow it, inject it, spin it... And they are all more expensive.

And maybe GW's just stuck in the days of "everyone likes the heavy feel of plastics..."

Maybe they should just make metal bases! That'd be awesome!
    But I call to God, and the LORD saves me.
    Psalm 55:16

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Metal bases only be good for those models who have pieces sticking out taht make it fall over.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Necrons army
    W/L/D

0/2/1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. However, I know that the old metal models had way less detail than the new plastics. However, the problem is for GW: Metal is easier to put into a mold, but it takes longer to cool, and the molds are more expensive than the plastic ones. Come on, basic chemistry states that metal needs a higher melting point, but then it becomes fluid. However, with plastic, it doesn't need so high of a melting point, and it can stay fluid at room temperature if you keep it moving. So, metal is easier to put into the mold and come out as a model, but the process to get there takes longer and is more expensive than the plastic alternative.

My vote: Plastic rules.
    If terrorists ask you "Do you have a bullet through your head?" say proudly, with dignity, "No, I do not. Go fish."

Catalysts of Iron/Iron Warriors 0/0/0

Soldiers of the Forge Worlds Clan Founder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

we're all in agreement then, we all prefer plasitc!, too bad the question was why the new eldar range was produced in metal
    i dont know to be honest, but ill ask around, a couple of store managers i speak to seem to know ppl at head office
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine
    If you buy a fire prism you get a complete falcon plus the extra bits required to make ti into a complete waste of space

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

[quote=Dr Snuggles;794346]we all prefer plasitc!/quote]
    Yes and no.

I like metal because it makes me think I'm getting more for my money, and I prefer the heavier weight of it.
    But I like plastic because of the intricate details and feel.

I know; GW should make the inside metal and the outside plastic! Perfect weight, good details, cost 5 times as much...
    AGLOCO - Earn money by browsing the internet!

Quote Originally Posted by Krevzi and Me
    Warhammer is like crack. But more expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    Learn parasite, that us Chaos players like to have our cake and eat it. In fact, we particularly like stealing the poor necrons' cake and eating that too, because they're too slow.

+ Reply to Thread