Librarium Online Forums banner

Wait, we get harrassed by hellspawn laywers over what?

551 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Carot 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Is this true? We really can't ask for the measurements of a model over the forums without risking some half-assed complaint/threat from GW or Forgeworld (whichever applies).
Measurements are fine. It was his intent on what he was going to do with them that got the thread shut down.

So, does that mean we can't post guides for scratchbuilt models either?
Yes, that's quite correct. It falls in that same general, grey area of casting and making molds. Basically, you're intending on using cheap materials to represent entire GW models, thereby denying them any profit.

It's a fine line, and LO prefers to stand on the side of "Not gonna get smacked with a lawsuit."

#3 ·
Yes, that's quite correct. It falls in that same general, grey area of casting and making molds. Basically, you're intending on using cheap materials to represent entire GW models, thereby denying them any profit.
Well bugger me. :|

My advice to anyone who's looking for this stuff is to visit the WargamerAU forum and ask there. Despite the fact that it is frequented by GW staff, scratch built guides are allowed so I doubt there will be a problem over asking for measurements. Heck, they don't even seem to mind if you post individual points costs for items and upgrades in your armylists. :|

#4 ·
Bugger me. :|

My advice to anyone who's looking for this stuff is to visit the WargamerAU forum and ask there. Despite the fact that it is frequented by GW staff, scratch built guides are allowed so I doubt there will be a problem over asking for measurements. Heck, they don't even seem to mind if you post individual points costs for items and upgrades in your armylists. :|
Well, obviously, LO does. :) So we don't necessarily need to go into a comparison between the two - LO is, by far, my own preferred choice. I don't want to see it shut down for the smallest, or the largest, of reasons, so I am going to follow the rules as closely as possible.

In the future, if anyone has any trouble with a moderator's action, I very much recommend trying to PM that moderator. :) You'd be surprised at how willing we are to justify ourselves, if we need to do so. Just be nice. ;)

#5 ·
In the future, if anyone has any trouble with a moderator's action, I very much recommend trying to PM that moderator. You'd be surprised at how willing we are to justify ourselves, if we need to do so. Just be nice.
I don't have a problem with you Lost Nemesis. I was simply curious.

Well, obviously, LO does. So we don't necessarily need to go into a comparison between the two - LO is, by far, my own preferred choice. I don't want to see it shut down for the smallest, or the largest, of reasons, so I am going to follow the rules as closely as possible.
I'm not comparing, just letting people know that there's a place available where they can ask.

#6 ·
Like I said - it's a fine line. We try to keep our nose clean as much as possible, while still allowing our members to have the tools and information they need. Sometimes the line gets crossed, but we never try to let it happen too often, nor too far.

Especially with the GW forums closing down in the next week, we're especially wary, since GW staff will be looking outside their own domain more often.

#7 ·
The great Irony of all this is that GW makes templates of many of the things people ask for, (from Drop pods to titans). And then they immediately turn around and refuse to give them to anyone.

Though, most of the templates I see around come from the EU GW's, so maybe somebody over there doesn't like head office or something. That's kind of a funny concept :)

GW head office "Did you tell those b@st@rds over there to stop making us look like blithering idiots!?"

GW peon "Yes sir, I did. But they just kept saying something about "ferting in ouur gzenerel derection" or some such!"

GW head office "Well, damn them! Go get me the Scorceror Tim! I'll sort those poofy b@st@rds out!"

But, it's right of us to protect ourselves from stuff like that, sometimes companies, like GW, like to make an exampe out of somebody to enforce their "don't share our stuff!" policy. Anime companies do it to fansubbers quite often (but that's really another issue entirely).

:ninja:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.