What do you consider a "good sport"? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you consider a "good sport"?

Reading that "letting it slide" post I realized that not letting it slide can make you appear to not be a good sport. In tournaments, I traditionally get less than stellar sportmanship because I want people to follow the darn rules. This is a game of inches. I try to watch out for people who have a variable movement for their infantry....they move 6" not somewhere between 6-8. I don't like people who bend the measuring tape around buildings to get line of sight. I don't clap and cheer when my opponent fires his guard squad into my terminators and hits and wounds 20 times. You might get a "Wow" out of me. I don't whine or cry when said terminators die. I'm not the in your face fist pumping dude that cheers when I get 8 rending shots on your hive tyrant. It is not my style. I don't cry cheese when the Armoured Company or any other list hits the table. I just play to the best of my ability. So what is sportsmanship to you?

For me, it is
    1. a person that plays by the rules
    2. does not complain about dice rolls, yours or his
    3. does not complain about cheese during the tournament, a legal list is a legal list
    4. not verbally abusive
    5. does not cry or freak when they lose a unit, it's war, expect casualties
    6. One of the most important for me, if the game was totally lopsided in their favor, don't act superior, just give me some pointers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x3)

Sportsmanship to me is not getting upset when someone brings up a rules question (the people who get the most upset are often the ones breaking the rules), not cheating, and not complaining when you lose.

The thing that probably gets me most upset is when someone acts superior on a win. Even watching someone else's game it upsets me terribly if I see another player lose then be berated about their playing and army.
    win/draw/loss
    76/13/4

Ask yourself why in the world would you trust a win loss record? Playing them yourself is the only way to tell.

The true joy in the game is playing down to the last model, no matter the odds.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

... and not complaining when you lose
    Agreed. One half of good sportsmanship is simply the ability to lose gracefully, be it a game or a rules debate. The other half is letting your opponent have a decent chance--no turn 1 charges, pair of 'Fear of the Darkness' Librarians, etc.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Hehe, reminds me of a quote i heard once...

"You show me a good loser, and i'll show you a loser"

Not sure it's one i live my life by though

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

I think that as long as they don't whine, cry cheese and so on then they are good sports. You should be able to play a game with lists made to win and both players should still have great fun with no regrets if one lose.

And the post-game handshake is very important to me.

I'm quite hard on following the rules to the point to. They are there for a reason. Sometimes it feels like some of my pals delibrately question my right to inforce the rules just to piss me of. :tongue:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Davesnothereman View Post

For me, it is
    1. a person that plays by the rules
    2. does not complain about dice rolls, yours or his
    3. does not complain about cheese during the tournament, a legal list is a legal list
    4. not verbally abusive
    5. does not cry or freak when they lose a unit, it's war, expect casualties
    6. One of the most important for me, if the game was totally lopsided in their favor, don't act superior, just give me some pointers.

Pretty much most of that.

#2 however, depends on what you mean by complaining. While yes, its not on for someone to bitch about dice rolls seriously, but you have to be able to distinguish the differences between what surious complaining is and what is just general after game banter.

I mean theres times where the game HAS been lost because of dice rolls. Its just one of those things in this game of ours.

So while yes, a good sportsman lives by most of what that list contains...he has to also be able to note that banter isn't the same as complaining...because to me, after game banter and discussion is just as fun and part of the game as the dice.
    Want to chat? You can normally find me in the LO CHAT!
    LO CHAT! JOIN US NOW AND BECOME A GOD OF BACON.

Back in action! Lord Yossanrion's Avatar
    Canberra, ACT, Australia, reading "Make-Out Paradise."
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    206 (x6)

Someone who can laugh when thier unit of Assault Marines, worth 400pts, runs off the board after a leadership check on Ld10. Someone who says "nice shot!" when your Leman Russ hist the middle of his Warrior Squad, decimating them.

Not laughing in my face unjustly when I loose. Laughing with me, as a friend.

Thats what sportsmanship is to me.
    Anzac Clan!
    Final Fantasy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Yossanrion View Post
    Someone who can laugh when thier unit of Assault Marines, worth 400pts, runs off the board after a leadership check on Ld10. Someone who says "nice shot!" when your Leman Russ hist the middle of his Warrior Squad, decimating them.

Not laughing in my face unjustly when I loose. Laughing with me, as a friend.

Thats what sportsmanship is to me.
    I agree, someone who has fun playing and isn't soo obsessed with winning that they lose all other thoughts.

I also tihnk that someone should admit if they won with the help of luck (ie they got all sixes, you got all ones), especially if you were the better player or were equal with them. I hate people who show off if they were very lucky and you were veyr unlucky.
    AGLOCO - Earn money by browsing the internet!

Quote Originally Posted by Krevzi and Me
    Warhammer is like crack. But more expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    Learn parasite, that us Chaos players like to have our cake and eat it. In fact, we particularly like stealing the poor necrons' cake and eating that too, because they're too slow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a good sport, game wise, is some one who follows the rules, but if you make a little mistake, say you put one too many men on, or forgot to shoot one squad of men, instead of moaning just lets you amend it.

the worst people are:-

someone who bitches and moans about the placing of your few last men in the squad, or when you knock something over, where you put it back.

Ohh and the line of sight annoying people,

e.g.
    "I can see his bayonet, therefore i can kill him" and "i can't see your mans gun, therefore he cant shoot me!"

GAAHH!

people play the game just too win just suck.
    Last edited by cubez; November 19th, 2006 at 22:14.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

Personally I label myself as a good sport. However I probably do afew things that most people misenterperet as bad sportsmanship.
    For example, I never check the rules for things that *I* am doing, because I know all the rules that affect my own army. So I only ever question things that the opponent is doing, this can come across as being a rules lawyer when it suits me, but its not. It really isnt my fault if the opponent does something wrong. However I do ask in a polite manner, I dont throw a tantrum or call them cheats etc, unless its obvious that they ARE cheating. Most of the times its just an accident or they forgot etc, which is fine, we all do it.

Sometimes being a 'rules lawyer' is a good thing, if you're opponent is dodgey. I was playing a bad-sport/cheat eldar player at a tournament. It was my Chaplain vs his Avatar, he told me I was hitting on 6's. Now, if I hadve checked the book, it wouldve made look like a bad sport for not trusting it.
    But later after the game, I did check it and found I was really hitting on 4's..

I dont think complaining about dice rolls is a factor of bad sportsmanship. Its ok to get a bit annoyed if the dice really are against you, consistantly. If my dragon lord, which I spent 6 weeks working on, rolled 10 attacks hitting on 3's, and I scored 2 hits, I wouldnt expect my opponent to expect me to take it with a smile.
    I think its only bad sportsmanship if you lose & then blame it ALL on the dice, totally discrediting the opponent for his victory.
    Ive had games where Ive won from great tactics and good lists etc, and had my opponent complain about his dice rolls at the end of the game, as if THAT was what caused it. His rolls were bad, but so were mine.

In my opinion a good sport is someone who:
    1- Doesn't mind you checking the rules & correcting them
    2- Doesnt get TOO upset about his bad dice rolls, (a bit is ok)
    3- Doesnt rub it in your face when YOU have bad rolls ("BOOYAH!! cop that!" etc :rolleyes
    4- If you accidently play a rule wrong, they politely correct you or show you the rule. Not call you a cheat etc
    5- Shakes your hand after the game
    6- Dont brag about the win or complain about the loss if it was mostly luck
    7- Gives you credit for the things you did well, and offers FRIENDLY advice on things you could improve.
    8- Compliments your army if it looks good & you spent a lot of time on it, for HIS enjoyment as much as your own. & Atleast makes an effort to put a decent looking army on the board for you, if you did exactly that for them.
    9- Doesnt place scenery in a fashion that gives theirself an advantage (like always putting hills for their war machines, walls to block your cavalry etc)

As a painter first & a gamer second, #8 is one of the most important to me. Im not searching for showers of glorifying praise or anything, but atleast small show of appreciation for your effort is common courtesy, especially if they havent done the same.
    Last edited by Manu_Forti; November 20th, 2006 at 03:34.
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast