Real Newb Question: Starting 40K - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Real Newb Question: Starting 40K

I am beginning to start 40K after being gone for 10 years and had a real newbie question. Is there still a basic 40k set? I tried looking for one and it came up with Battle for Macragge. Is this the starter set? Forgive my ignorance on this one. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnator View Post
    I am beginning to start 40K after being gone for 10 years and had a real newbie question. Is there still a basic 40k set? I tried looking for one and it came up with Battle for Macragge. Is this the starter set? Forgive my ignorance on this one. Thanks in advance.
    Yup - the Battle for Macragge contains a small force of Space Marines, a small force of Tyranids, dice, templates, and a mini rulebook with everything you need to start.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Nemesis View Post
    Yup - the Battle for Macragge contains a small force of Space Marines, a small force of Tyranids, dice, templates, and a mini rulebook with everything you need to start.
    Just so you know, the minibook does not include the expanded hobby content, like Kill-Team rules, Combat Patrol rules, and all the painting and oddball mission stuff. That stuff (extraneous though it may be) is only in the big book. Other than that, you're all set - it gives you all the rules to play normal 40K games.
    We've got plenty of youth... How about a fountain of smart?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

Arent the models a bit different though? I thought they were like 1-2 piece moulds with no assembling (other than sticking them in the base), & thus were lower quility than the regular multi piece models.

If so, I think thats worth pointing out.
    You also get a few bits of scenery, I believe.

Cheers
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the models are mostly prebuilt but for the marines you have to put on the backpack and bolter.And the tyranids you have to put in there arms.Your going to want to glue these guys anyway,I don't care what GW says about the snap on crap.The marine decals are smaller to but in my opinion they fit really well on the shoulder pad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys :yes:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

Battle for Maccrage usually isn't the best way to start. Usually you look through the GW site or look around on forums like this to find the race you like best.

You then go out and buy a rulebook and the codex for your chosen race. Get a battleforce or megaforce to see how it works and decide if you want to stay with it. If so keep expanding it, if not try again with a race you think you will like how they play.

Of course if you're infatuated with space marines then feel free to get battle for maccrage. Usually its better to make your own decisions though.

You're 28 though so you probably have some money unlike the majority of teenage 40k players. You can start wherever you want.
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

Thats very true. Sooner or later you'll want to get the bigger rulebook and maybe start a new race. Best thing to do is pick the race you want (not what the one everyone says you should, follow your own tastes ) and pick up the rulebook and not bother with BFM. The BFM is really meant as a very gentle intoduction, and is really aimed at young players IMO. But its entirely up to you .

Will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    WILL J!~
    You have a beard. You are in dire need of nothing. You are complete. Amen.

+ Reply to Thread