Is the Foot Slogger Dead? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Is the Foot Slogger Dead?

Hey folks

Now we are into 40K 3.5 I have become increasing aware that basic line close combat infantry (armed with pistol and close combat weapon and moving 6") without a transport vehicle has become a thing of the past.

I've read several threads in which people express their dislike for transport vehicles but without them I can't see a basic close combat troop WITHOUT special rules ever getting to the enemy.

The special rules that I refer to are things like Fleet (of Foot or Claw or whatever), Deep Strike or Infiltrate.

Take the Eldar as an example. All the hand-to-hand troops have special rules to get them into combat quickly. Storm Guardians, Banshees and Harlequins all have Fleet and the Scorpian Exarch allows his unit to Infiltrate (although this is perhaps a bad example as only the Storm Guardians are a basic unit, all the others being Elite).

Tyranids are another example. Both types of Gaunts have Fleet, Rippers can be upgraded to Fly or have Leaping and Genestealers can Scout.

The only army that I can think of that has a basic Hand-to-Hand Troop choice that doesn't have a transport option or special movement rules are the Orks.

As a result the Ork foot slogger infantry die in droves as they get try to get into close combat.

Am I wrong? Are close combat foot sloggers a thing of the past?

Has the game became so deadly that infantry that rely on nothing but their own 6" movement to get to the enemy are doomed to die?

I think this is worth looking at as the game seems to have evolved in such a way that certain troop types have been left behind in the rush.

Squig69

Don't hate Da Playa, hate Da Game!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    :w00t: Hooray for ass monkeys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x3)

I would have to say so. I don't think there is any footslogging army variant that my tau army can't get a victorious slaughter from, unless they were relying on barrage weapons to make the enemy come to them.

Overall I'd say there are only a few lists that could pull it off by using barrage weapons.
    win/draw/loss
    76/13/4

Ask yourself why in the world would you trust a win loss record? Playing them yourself is the only way to tell.

The true joy in the game is playing down to the last model, no matter the odds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by mephistophales View Post
    Overall I'd say there are only a few lists that could pull it off by using barrage weapons.
    Off the top of my head I'd say only an Imperial Guard force using Doctrines to swap out their lasguns for close combat weapons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x3)

As long as an orks' opponents don't have barrage weapons also, they could use a looted basilisk to do it. Assuming you have enough terrain to hide all those Orks.

The problem is that the game rewards you for shooting first, and rewards you even more for getting into combat first (charge bonus). Mobility becomes vital when terrain is a factor, and thus 100% footslogging armies will get slaughtered as they try to walk across the board.

They stand a better chance if the enemy has to come to them, but in that case they probably won't get the charge bonus when faced with faster troops. Although if they're coming to you, you might get to shoot first if there isn't enough terrain. But on a board with the recommended amount or more (25%), they'll probably have plenty to hide behind.

So they only work if the enemy wants or has to come to them, and even then it's debatable whether the mobility is more important.
    Last edited by mephistophales; December 15th, 2006 at 13:30.
    win/draw/loss
    76/13/4

Ask yourself why in the world would you trust a win loss record? Playing them yourself is the only way to tell.

The true joy in the game is playing down to the last model, no matter the odds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

well yes and no, they changed the rules so you cant assualt out transports anymore, (yea yea yea darkeldar) to try and get an extra turn or so for shooty armys and deter rhino rush's, and youd think it would have players question their use but alas no.

to say rhinos are coffins on wheels in 4th ed i find is not true, i find most opponents tend to ignore rhinos with their anti-armour units and go for the larger more instantly dangerous targets.

i mean, even i, as a world eaters player with the chance of an extra d6 movement still put them in rhinos, even with the probability of them hopping out and legging it towards the nearest foe on the first turn.
    Last edited by Dr Snuggles; December 15th, 2006 at 14:32.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine
    If you buy a fire prism you get a complete falcon plus the extra bits required to make ti into a complete waste of space

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

Funnily enough the only army that seems to be capable of foot-slogging now (except for orks) is the fast and fragile eldar.

Fortuned units, wraithguard, wraithlords, avatar.

And guard NEVER use warrior weapons. Even if they did they would also take drop troops.

cc guard=flamers NOT ccw's.
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Snuggles View Post
    i mean, even i, as a world eaters player with the chance of an extra d6 movement still put them in rhinos, even with the probability of them hopping out and legging it towards the nearest foe on the first turn.
    See this is what I'm talking about. Using the World Eaters as an example they are a core unit (if your general has MoK) and have a vehicle option AND the chance for Fleet.

Back in the day (40K Version 2) you're right, the Rhino was a death trap and as a result a World Eater unit took forever to get across the table.

Now they've fixed the rules regards transports they are the choice for everyones armies.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying any of this is a bad thing, I just thought it was worth shining the spot light on how MUCH the game has now changed.

Take my Cult of Speed for example. My entire Ork army can be in the enemies deployment zone and raising hell in two turns!

40K is now become the "scary speed" game. Occasionally you'll have a battle where both players are playing defensive but for the most part at least one person will be on the offensive.

Wait and see - I envision the new Ork Codex advising that any mobs consisting of 10 of fewer models may be mounted in a wartrukk as a standard core choice bringing them in line with all the other races.

Soon only the Necrons will be the only troops who don't have core transport vehicles.

You wait and see. :yes:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by LordLink View Post
    Funnily enough the only army that seems to be capable of foot-slogging now (except for orks) is the fast and fragile eldar.

Fortuned units, wraithguard, wraithlords, avatar.
    Well, yes and no.

Since we're talking about troops here the Wraithguard can be placed in a Wave Serpent making their deployment fast and easy. Equally they're not designed for close combat though their short range weapons mean they need to get up close to do their thang.

The Avatar and Wraithlord arn't perhaps the best example of footsloggers. An Avatar is a Greater Daemon and just like a Great Unclean One and a Keeper of Secrets is slowwww.

The Wraithlord is basically a Dreadnaught and can only be expected to be slow. Yes Marines can use a Drop Pod to deepstrike them but no one else can so I file them under footslogger - imagine the cries of outrage if a Wraithlord could fleet!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

Well I might be a bit biased as my whole army can move 36" a turn (beat that speed freaks) but I count foot-sloggers as basically anything that sets up in a deployment zone then walks.

And the troops wraithguard can't have transports. If they are small enough to fit in they are elites.
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by LordLink View Post
    And the troops wraithguard can't have transports. If they are small enough to fit in they are elites.
    Whoops my bad!

Okay, change of tact - does anybody out their have a footslogger army that they have success with?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast