Next army? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Next army?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Next army?

Howdy folks, ==Me== here.

Well, as I've been packing for ==My== return to college in a couple days, I have noticed a lack of space for ==My== 40k and Fantasy armies, so I've decided to take this oppurtunity to start a new army while I'm there. I've been looking into things for a while and I still can't decide. So, I leave it up to you Online Librarians to help ==Me== out.

I currently collect Space Marines (~3000pts of DA) with small amounts of Skaven and Kroot Mercs as well

Here are the criteria I am going by, in terms of descending importance:
    1) Cheap: starving college student and all that
    2) Portable: Easier to carry around campus and to bring back home
    3) Easily accessible: I don't want to have to mailorder stuff and the like
    4) A mobile/assaulty playstyle: ==My== marines are shooty and I'd like to try something different
    5) Evil: Well, maybe not evil, perhaps, "not good"

Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

I'm confused slightly, is it a 40K army you want to start, or a fantasy one?

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Well, to the question of good or evil, I would suggest to you that there are no good races in 40k. Tau are often considered to be the goodest guys, but then my understanding is that their policy is "Please, join our empire... or we'll kill you." Inquisitional forces and Marines are all xenophobes, wishing to expunge any alien race from existence, or destroying whole worlds because "I thought I saw a daemon!". Some people say Orks are good because they're almost child-minded in that their lust for war isn't through malice. They'll still hack you into small chunks for no good reason. So really, any race will be Not Good. (Well, I suppose IG are not bad just because they're basically just following orders, but then looking at the officers, I'm sure they commit all sorts of genocides against alien races and the like).

Anyway, for the rest of your points, portable obviously means low model count. Chaos armies fit the bill nicely here, especially cult armies. I reckon some of them could be a reasonable cost due to their low model counts. They're definitely evil. Not sure about accessibility. And if you want assault, there's always a khornate army...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Forgive ==Me==, I should have been more specific (no more posting on the way out the door)

I'm looking for a 40k army as they tend to be cheaper and the game is more popular on campus.

"Evil" was probably that Imperial sentiment kicking in again, I am interested in a non-human army, something a little more devious.

I've had some ideas on armies, but it is difficult to reach a decision. Here is what I've been considering:

-Eldar (Iyanden most likely)
    -Tau+Kroot
    -IG
    -DG, TSons, or Alpha Legion, maybe LatD

Now, I am not very familiar with any of these armies, so I'm looking for information to help ==Me== decide on something. Particularly, I want to know how easy it is to pick up and carry around such armies, and how much it will cost.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It really sounds to me like your looking more towards grey knights or sisters of battle. They both have low model counts if you want to play assaulty and they both can do that well. Sisters with lots of flamers and some transports do nicely backed up by some seraphims. IG will not be cheap on the pocket or a small force and pretty much only excel at shooting so I think you will find yourself lacking what you want. The Chaos stuff, like marines, can go any way. The Eldar are very specialized and hard to tactically get the hang of. You may do well with them but, if you want to run an eldar assualty force I suggest proxying some models first and trying it out before you buy. Hope that helps!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Well if you want the army with the lowest model count in the game (I think) go with an Imperial Guard Armored Company it's mostly tanks in fact it could be all tanks if you want. If you want evil you could make it an evil Company. Then there is always the Lost and the Dammed army it has more models and there are so many conversion opportunities.
    If you do things right people wont be sure if you have done anything at all.

+ Reply to Thread