putting tactics back into 40k - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x6)

putting tactics back into 40k

as many people have noticed, it seems to have become a recent trend to ignore playing missions and just play the good old play the "kill each other/ play till everythings dead" senerio. you know, the one where tactics don't count very much and you just want stuff to die.

originally, that was the way i played for a while, but over time, it got old and i began to aquire a certain love for the tactically based missions.

i would like to hear peoples view on this "trend" and whether or not they prefer "kill each other" or "tactical 40k". i would like also to know, what is most commonly seen where you game, and how it makes you feel. also, do you enforce a certain style of play amonge your opponents, or do you just let it slide.

personally, i love the missions and i "MAKE" all my opponents play one with me whether they like it or not(always random though). i think everyone should encourage the tactical aspect of 40k among the gaming community and let it spread like one of Nurgle's delicious plagues.:x

but enough about what i think, i am interested in hearing the oppinions of the entire gaming community on this subject.

That is not dead which may eternal lie,
    for in strange aeons even death may die.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

186 (x8)

We don't enforce, or force it on people as you seem to do alex, where I play. Its a fair mix for me, leaning towards more six turn, victory point, kill 'em all games.

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

My buddies and I just roll for our missions using our strategy ratings. My Eldar friend hates picking the mission, so he usually tells me to do it. We generally play Gamma level missions, so the mission is as important as killing the enemy, but not more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We pretty much always do missions, but by the time the game hits turn 6 its usually degenerated into such a slugging match the tactics don't matter much. However, yes we do have them.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    252 (x0)

When I was much younger, I'd want to play the "Kill Everything" mission, but now that I'm older, I like the additional layer of tactics that the standard (or indeed special) missions add to my games.

At my club, we play Standard Missions at the Gamma level almost to the exclusion of everything else. The only notable changes are when there are mega battles, campaigns, or if we just feel like playing a fluff-based game instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just killing off your opponent is tactics. It's a battle and your objective is to come out on top. How creative can you be to come out on top? The missions and scenarios in the big rulebook are good for variety. My style of play really doesn't change much if at all between a tournament scenario or just a straight forward long table edges 6 turn face off.
    |
    If you feel that tactics are missing from the game be sure to show off your tactical prowess on the tabletop. It may be a rude awakening to some player's style of play. But what really needs to be different from most of the games? In slug fest battles to you suicide units right into certain death or do you look for the best way to get your units into shooting positions or leapfrogging out of line of sight to get as close as possible for brutal assaults? There are those situations when you have to put faith in the dice because you need to do something drastic to secure an objective or get the edge necessary to win by victory points.
    |
    Tactics is often understanding what your army is capable of and deciding the best course of action on the spot. For my tournament Imperial Guard it's protecting the fire base(s) *(as situation dictates one to three separate fire bases) but keeping in mind the mobile or just plain security job of my hellhound and kasrkins.

Food for thought.

Arg, spaces! Spaces between the paragraphs! *holds her sore eyes* - Firedrake28
    Last edited by Katie Drake; January 29th, 2007 at 05:51.
    Imperial Guard Variants 69/20/9
    Space Wolves 17/16/2
    I.G. Armoured Company 7/3/2
    Deamonhunters 1/2/1
    I.G. BFG 0/1/2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

176 (x6)

force it on people as you seem to do alex
    i know, i'm terrible. we'll maybe i'd give in if they started crying:shifty:
    but in reallity, i won't actually "force" them to play my way. i really just meant persuading the person that playing a standard mission(random of course) instead of a slugfest. sorry if i sounded like i was forcing people to do stuff against thier will. i was only exagerating(i should really realize what i'm actually typing down.LOL). sorry if i sound like im contradicting myself.
    Last edited by Koss; January 29th, 2007 at 06:11.
    That is not dead which may eternal lie,
    for in strange aeons even death may die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x2)

Missions. Roll for 'em.
    We all carry on,
    When our brothers in arms are gone.
    So raise your glass high
    For tomorrow we die,
    And return from the ashes you call.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At my games workshop all the younger kids like to play 6 turn kill everything. But yes playing mission is alot more interesting and fun. The staff at my games workshop make up there own senarios that are just randomly fun. As you get older i think you get to like missions alot more.
    (\_/)
    (0.0)
    (><)This is Bunny. Copy Bunny and this message into your signature to help him on his way to world Domination!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

We do about 50:50 kill 'em v's complicated.

The cleanse/patrols are much more competative but the other missions are more fun and we usualy 'play fluffy' e.g Khorne charge across minefields, Orks do all kinds of Madness.

We agreed that certain missions, although a refreshing challenge were not really balanced, it was only the 10th game of breakthrough that the defender actualy won with equaly skilled players on each side.
    Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast