GW is....broken? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x1)

GW is....broken?

So, I was doing a little speculative surfing on the Games Workshop website today. Checking the local club listings, browsing for updates etc.

And I've noticed something......well not really noticed per-se, more like - finally became aware of.

The GW websites (yes "websites" plural) are broken.

Search functions don't work on the UK site, updates haven't been made except in the most obvious places, and the site structures are actually falling apart. I got more "internal server error" messages than I care to count. The club network is in shambles, and the only thing that works correctly is the online store. I think the only updates the US site recieved at all are the Black Gobbo articles (which were written by OTHER GW sites like france, germany etc.) and the store links.

While I was checking that out I noticed something odd: the websites' copyrights (plurals of plurals, as in - all of them) end this year.

I wonder what this might forbid.....seems to me like someone dropped the ball somewhere.

Any thoughts?
    :ninja:

www.HIGHBATTALION.com - it's a link, you click it.
    "The world will be a better place when the world's resources are used for Giant Robots."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Pfft the GW webistes (especially the UK one) are utter crap really.

They are only worth it for the online store and the news section to be honest.

Most of the articles are out of date or are just plain useless.

Though some of the scenery guides are kinda good.

Basically it doesn't seem to be a big part of the company (or at least it doesn't suggest it).

Also the UK online store seems to have the slowest search ever.

I only use the online store, its the only part worth viewing IMO.

I sound critical, but there is so much untapped potential for GW there, they could easily put in stuff that wouldn't go in WD, but it seems they are ignoring it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    104 (x4)

Yeah GW websites don't impress me that much...

Remember the forums?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not bragging but just before christmas I did a design job for acompany using our school server which is crap. We even implemented it onto the web in 4 hrs there were three of us. Our site in my personal opinion was slapdash but it works better and was updated more than GW by 15 year olds the sites down at the moment so I can fix bugs but I mean come on its pathetic websites are simple and if you have enough hands easy to run.
    Coffee, the greatest liquid on Earth. (Except possibly blood which I can not do without)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Updating their website would cost money and it would be money that wouldn’t be directly returned through extra business. I don't think its a mistake that the only part of the site that is up to date and ALWAYS works properly is the online store.
    Damned uptight Brits who run that company need to get their thumbs outa their arses, stop worrying about making wagon loads of pounds/dollars/euros and maybe consider the fact that good business practices will probably get the more loot in the long run while keeping there fans happy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x2)

The funniest thing for me on the site, was with the update-mail i got grom GW yesterday, i clicked a link and got the not available message .

"I could calculate your chance of survival, but you won't like it."
    "Shut up! Sit your ass down in that chair and DRINK YOUR GODDAMN TEA!" - Cid FFVII

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a lot of good content on the GW site... it's just an absolute pain to browse.

Their servers can't cope, and it times out all the time... even with their online store, which is *not* a good thing if they want people's orders to go through okay without getting screwed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
    Damned uptight Brits who run that company need to get their thumbs outa their arses
    Yay, racial slurs!

*throws hot tea over Trajan then bites him with his scabby British teeth*
    Last edited by scarletsquig; February 14th, 2007 at 14:24.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

76 (x2)

Oh no!

Everyone knows anyone bit by a brit is doomed to turn into one. He'll be drinking tea and watching soccer while singing "Jerusalem" now.

Seriously though, Games Workshop's websites are a joke. They have no search function, which means I usually find most of their content by accident through google. Their fluff articles are usually worth reading though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Spook2k5 View Post
    Everyone knows anyone bit by a brit is doomed to turn into one. He'll be drinking tea and watching soccer while singing "Jerusalem" now.
    Nah. we sing that at cricket matches.
    And why wouldn't you want to drink tea? Mmmmmmmmm, tea is nice!

I haven't had that much trouble with the GW site, but I don't really use it that much because the last update was in the Stone Age. Or was it before? I forget, I must need more tea.
    Thou shalt remember:
    Warhammer Fantasy armies do NOT have Codices. They have Army Books.

LINK - Guitarists of LO Group

Hunched Over My Workbench, furiously painting away.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

88 (x2)

I second the bit about the tea, I'm drinking some rather nice Gunpowder Green as I type.
    Unfortunately, I also second the bit about GW's crap website. It's rather indicative of a company that sees no 'profit' in something, so ignores it. Also rather short sighted, as the constant flow of new info is what keeps the game fresh, and people interested.

I think that's one of the greatest weaknesses of GW's current attitude. WD is now simply an ad-rag, with NO significant info at all to keep people's interest in the game bubbling. Their website is the same way. They both say, with no disguise or artifice, "BUY THIS NEW STUFF, IT'S SHINY AND EXCITING AND, DID WE MENTION, NEW?!"
    Baby, when I'm the voice of reason, we've got problems!
    ~artificer

Someone should stop
    Jervis "let's make it easy enough for a 3 year old to play" Johnson
    before he turns 40k into checkers

~anon

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast