have you ever been owned? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x6)

have you ever been owned?

just yesterday i played a game against a regular opponent of mine. i lost a humiliating defeat. it was a combo of me making bad some bad decisions, over confedence, him having very good deployement, and him being a good player, and really bad luck on my part.

so the question is, have you ever been defeated to the point where it was just sad?
    share your stories.

That is not dead which may eternal lie,
    for in strange aeons even death may die.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

13th company being forced to run at a tau gunline because of the crappiest board ever constructed.

Actually because this happened quite a lot said tau player and I stopped playing each other, the battles were a forgone conclusion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

Hi all.
    I have been gaming for 20years.And I can honestly say I always learn more from games I loose ,than I do from games that I win.
    Perhaps the sting of defeat ,does two things,highlights your mistakes,and makes you resolute not to repeat them.
    So no matter what the outcome of a game,we should always learn something.
    Even if it is just how to avoid 'poor' game set ups!

But perhaps my way of thinking is not shared by other gamers.

TTFN
    Lanrak.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

I've been annihilated more times than I care to remember. Lanrak is correct though, you learn a hell of a lot more when you lose than when you win.

The reason, I think, for this is that when you win you think to yourself "job well done" but if you lose you tend to scrutinise the game a lot more, trying to figure out where you went wrong.

I try to do this now even when I win. Because you may have won, but it doesn't mean you've played the perfect game by any stretch of the imagination. I like to spend a few minutes after the game chatting to my friends about the game, trying to identify key points in the game, and units which did well/not so well (our "studs and duds")

The fact of the matter is (for WHFB, at least) that if you are a new player and you are playing against a veteran, you will lose. End of story. No amount of lucky dice rolling will save your ass. It's something I've come to learn from playing guys who've been gaming as long as I've been alive.

When I play against friends who've been playing as long as me, the results are a lot more spread out. Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose. I think playing against each type of player is a lot of fun and a great learning experience both ways.

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

Hi all.
    Its not realy who wins or looses,but how you play the game.And talk about it afterwards.

Now even vet players often try out new army configurations or playing styles to see how they work.
    So the best way any player can improve thier gaming ability is honest friendly discussion,after the game .IMO.
    I have been fortunate that most of my gaming group,do not dissapear in a sulk,when they loose ,or bounce around the games table shouting LOOSER,if they win .
    But we can have an informal friendly and informative chat about what happened and why.

I am not saying you have to do this,but I do find it another aspect of the gaming hobby that I realy like.

TTFN
    Lanrak.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x3)

I toally agree that you learn more from losing then winning. But, both play vital rolls in gaining that all important word, Eperience!

When I first started playing Warhammer 40k I picked up the Eldar Codex, a Falcon, some guardians, and other random models. I threw together a list and started playing my first game against a friend of mine who played IG. My first game went fairly smooth actually....for my opponent!!!!! My strategy consisted of "Run across the table, with no scenery, and try and out shoot an IG army on my way there!" Now, I learned from that game MANY lessons that are probably pretty obviouse lol.

Now after some more games with friends I started to win on a regular basis and thought that it was time to move up to other opponents. So my friends and I loaded up the cars and went to a gaming store 30 min away that had a 40k day. I got all my stuff out and prepared for my first game. Yet once again I found myself on the losing end of the stick.

Why was that. Well my beleife is that when people first start playing they obviously dont know strategy yet. Yet, when they learn a strategy that works they tend to stick with it no matter who they play. Verteran players know that you have to tweek your strategy with each opponent. Maybe just a small tweek, and sometimes its changeing the whole stragegy all together.

So, all in all winning and losing is a natural way for a person to gain Experience!

Kendo's DA's, Eldar, and stuff WIP
    Dark Angels: W-22 D-4 L-5 High Elves W-8 L-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cant only think of a few games that I was completely owned in, all of which were being played under the influence.

This isnt some super I'm the best claim, I just play Warhammer with other people with around the same experince as me most of the time, so it is alot of back and forth during our battles.

This doesnt count games vs. Tau on open tables with me using my foot slogging orks though, expecting anything but serious loses in that situatio is foolish.
    Last edited by Osaria; February 18th, 2007 at 17:50.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

186 (x8)

Well, this wasn't me getting entirely owned in a game, its more making a really big mistake and throwing roughly 1/5th of my army down the toilet. (However it did make winning a bit easier.)

Drop podded two librarians and a five man command squad right in front of a full infantry platoon, command platoon, and conscipt platon, double feared to make sure that command platoon an (pesky banner) and saw the entire conscipt platoon and infantry platoon, bar one squad, run off the board. The owning would be in his turn, when he swung around the barrel of the leman russ next to the infantry platoon and blew one librarian, the entire comand squad, and the drop pod away in on shot. (Almost making up for the loss of ninety models.)

(That librarian survived for the rest of the game until he charged an infantry squad hiding in a bunker while he only had one would left, killed five out of nine enemies, plasmagunner already died, but they managed to take away his last wound in return...)

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

Lanrak , with all due respect the question does not apear to be about sporting conduct but about getting Pwned , big time. These are the occasional ( for some ) games in which your army fails in every possible dimension.

The biggest lose in recent memory was during a game with a tyranid player, and I was experimenting with some new units. Big unit of khorne possesed in a landradier ( almost 1/3rd of my army ) First turn only 1 squad fenzies thats right you guessed the possesed in the LR. They charge through terrain to a brood of Genestealers and don't have frags. My opponet rolls a bucket of dice and scores so many 6's the unit gets wiped out befor it can even attack. the highest I roll for the invunerable saves is a 3.

Oh and the landraider scores a whopping 1 wound on a carniefex 1 turn later before it gets dystroyed by a big bug. It failed to hit or wound anything prior to that. the rest of the army dove headlong into swarms of bugs and died horrible grizzley deaths . game in only 4 turns.

Thought for the day: A Burning Heretic , Will brighten the Decor of any room.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

176 (x6)

once i got owned, but it shouldn't have happened.

i got my armylists mixed up, and actually forgot 800pts of stuff in my case(my command squad and 3 or 4 venerable dreadnoughts) seriously, i forget stuff so often its rediculous, i lose my watch and glasses in my room like almost everyday. i know, its sad.

it may have been a factor. but whatever, i just went along with it, since that guy usually loses against me so i figured i might as well just let him feel good about himself.
    That is not dead which may eternal lie,
    for in strange aeons even death may die.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast