Using non painted armies - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x6)

Using non painted armies

Wanted to see what vetern players out there think about people who flat out refuse to paint their armies. For example you can see by my signature that i have quite a few a armies. I personally refuse to use a unit that is not a least base coated with minimal colors IE 2-3. I prefer to build an army to at least 1500pts before I will even place it on the table and this is to full coloring with basing.

However, i've noticed that plenty of people who play at the shop i goto to simply build their armies and never even paint them. It never bothered me before, but lately its started to erk me that people never wanted to pursue painting.... not even base spraying their army a different color other than grey.

Howe do people generally feel about playing painted vs non painted. I truly feel i enjoy the games more when my opponents army is fully painted to a nice standard as well, and i hold that painted armies perform better then non painted consistently

40K-Beakies(9-14-4),Guard(4-7-2),Orks(34-12-11). FANTASY-Dwarves(15-6-7),Beasts (14-14-1), Skaven (17-17-10) DoC (6-1-2). CYGNAR (28-15-1)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I enjoy seeing a well painted army but I would rather see an unpainted army than a poorly painted one. Some people just cant paint well so I dont think it should be forced on them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

Pre-painted models.

Osiria.
    I totaly agree with you.I think it is not fair to enforce a ' painting standard' on the poor gamers that are all thumbs when it comes to painting.

Perhaps that is why games systems that offer pre painted minis are doing quite well?

If you are a talented painter you gan always overpaint them.

But as they say there shouldnt be 'pressure to perform 'in a hobby.This can kills the fun in some cases.
    Gamers want to game ,painters want to paint.
    Hobbiests just do the parts they enjoy the most.
    I dont hear any complaints about the people who just paint thier minatures and never game with them,do you?
    Double standard or what!!

TTFN
    Lanrak.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x1)

I certainly do not think that any painting standard should be enforced on people and in the games I play I do not discriminate against people who do not paint. However, for me unpainted armies really diminish the overall pleasure of the game, for one thing it just doesn't look as cool. Maybe I am just a member of the video game generation but the way something looks is integral to the way it works as a whole.
    Also, not painting is typically just the first of a lot of concessions made to poor gamesmanship. Unpainted models are more likely to be incompletely assembled and not be WYSIWYG. If painting is not important, is the equipment it carries important? if the equipment isn't important then what about the model itself? Why not just have bases? Heck, why even put spots on the dice? Just roll them, I'll remember where the sixes are<_<
    Seriously though, I'm not asking for much here people, just color the shoulderpads on you MEQs so i know what to point the battle cannon at.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Lanrak View Post
    Gamers want to game ,painters want to paint.
    Hobbiests just do the parts they enjoy the most.
    I dont hear any complaints about the people who just paint thier minatures and never game with them,do you?
    Double standard or what!!
    The exact thing I wanted to say here.

This is not a hobby to get elitist in. It is not brain surgery or a peace treaty negotiation... it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. You won't get hordes of adoring women (or if you do tell me how!) or popularity from it... You'll play with little plastic and metal figures on a table, or paint them, or some combination. You'll do what little kids do. For adults. Not something that it's healthy to take so seriously.

If someone else doesn't have the same mix as you of those for their enjoyment, as long as they aren't having a problem with you, how arrogant is it to have a problem with them? So your fun is only contingent upon telling them how to have theirs in a way that had no effect on you?

Now if someone is using no painting to get around WYSIWYG by deliberatly being decietful with what they have on the table that's an issue, but not one that really revolves around painting, it involves someone being dirty and cheating.
    If they're the type of person that would do that, do you really think making them paint their models would suddenly turn them honest? No, now they'd just find another way.
    Plus as long as the models are modeled appropriatly, I can't see how painting even effects WYSIWYG with one exception, ye ole Orks red goes faster rule.

I'm am personally happy for almost every addition to my local gaming group, be it someone who is the next pro painter for GW, or someone who can just barely get their models to stay together and be WYSIWYG while they play. What's behind the player is more important to me then what's in front. (In other words, the personality of the person matters more then how they enjoy the hobby)
    -
    Making Sisters of Battle into Women of Battle
    -
    Give a Rep Star if you like what someone said. Especially Me. I'm an unabashed Star whore. Blame my 2nd grade teacher and those stupid good behavior stickers. I'm just conditioned. I'm the Pavlov's Dog of stars.
    -
    You win with VP, NOT with kills
    -

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Lanrak
    Heh, I'll have to remember that one^_^

It doesn't bother me in the slightest. I just wanna have a laugh/good time y'know? No rules lawyering, no pushing the rules, no moaning about painting standards, no cries of cheese, no whining about bad dice rolls, no measuring charges to within a fraction of an inch.

It all just seems...a bit...well...pointless. It's only a game. Even if it's a tournament or a campaign, it's still only a game.

I just feel that some people can lose sight of that a bit sometimes

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I highly dislike primed armies.

Plastic or painted, but not primed.

White primer is OK, but with black it becomes really hard to tell the difference between say a lascannon marine and a missle launcher marine across the table.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher, the emperor View Post
    I highly dislike primed armies.

Plastic or painted, but not primed.

White primer is OK, but with black it becomes really hard to tell the difference between say a lascannon marine and a missle launcher marine across the table.
    Good call. I hadn't thought about that but you're right that often is hard to tell.
    -
    Making Sisters of Battle into Women of Battle
    -
    Give a Rep Star if you like what someone said. Especially Me. I'm an unabashed Star whore. Blame my 2nd grade teacher and those stupid good behavior stickers. I'm just conditioned. I'm the Pavlov's Dog of stars.
    -
    You win with VP, NOT with kills
    -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for me, warhammer is a game... i get alot of enjoyment enjoyment from the painting and modeling of it, but the number one reason i do it is for the game.

i have my 40k army compleatly painted, and my fantasy army is 90 percent there. but that doesnt mean i would ever refuse to play an unpainted army or even give the owner grief about it. for me i had a unpainted army for a long time before i started going through it and working on it. i do realy enjoy plaing a painted army, it looks realy epic and cool. but everyone has to start somewhere, and many people have other things outside of warhammer to do and use the game to relax.
    "Moral Victory! the enemy ran away at the sight of my roting, spikey, diseased, awesomeness... wait.. what?" ~ Theyak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a 40k and a Fantasy army, i started painting recently(painted a Saurus... took me 2h... >.> ), i only started because one of my friend and some of the people i talk and play with sometimes were like ''well, it's ok, but it would be better and blabla'' one of them offered me to paint them for me... i understood it was time >.> but before that, i always played with grey and metal figs. Only the people who only come for the pre-made games every 2 weeks(event at my local gaming store) don't mind about my grey sauruses even if all they're army is like almost Pro-Painted.

When i started into the Warhammer world, it was the gameplay that interested me, not the color of the figs, if i like color, ill go back to warcraft.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast