Do YOU have what it takes... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Do YOU have what it takes...

to earn Veteran status?

Basically I'm wondering what you guys think is worthy of being called a veteran (be it FB, 40K, BFG etc) and do you consider yourself a veteran player?

You could have played for years but not be very good at the game, are you a veteran then?

In almost every other aspect of life it takes years to obtain the right to be called an expert in a certain field, whether that be sports, music, certain academic fields (maths, science, history etc) yet I've seen a lot of people claim to be veteran players after having only played 20 games or so with their armies (obviously I don't speak for everyone)

I've played well over 100 games with my lizardmen alone. But I still get my ass handed to me when I play against someone who's been playing longer. I also still have a lot to learn about the army (although I'm not really gaming atm) so I don't consider myself a veteran of the game nor the army.

So basically what does it take, and do you have it?

Ciao

Stonehambey

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x8)

Being a veteran doesn't mean you can't lose. Look at real life: those who died in a war are still veterans. They just can't boast about it.
    I can't give you any numbers, but yeah lots of battles (a lot more than 20), also a long period of being involved in the hobby (though that kind of comes hand in hand with the number of battles), a decent game size on average (1500+) and a variety of opponents all add to veteran status (so no playing the starter box armies against each other a couple of hundred times).
    Ze titles yez...
    When in doubt,
    Smite.
    <SilverMane> I would trust BID with my life
    <SilverMane> HEIL BID!
    <Adrian-> BiD is Omnipotent; All Knowing, All Powerful!
    <Scary_Troopers> I see you as an optimist, GT. : D

But what of the midgets!?
    =]Front in favour of Moderation of the Harshest kind.[=

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

Beeing a veteran isn't only because you don't loose any battles.
    IMO it has more to do with the way you act in the game:

Beeing polite to other poeple even if they annoy you.
    Beeing a good sport.
    Helping those who are fresh into the game.
    Helping other people with their armies/armylist.
    Having a good sized army/armies that's fully painted.
    Knowing a good amount of the rules.
    Have good understanding of the fluff.
    Played for some time, like several years.

There's still many other qualities but these are just a few of those I consider for beeing called a veteran.

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

IMO being a veteran is army specific.

If you *get* how an army works, can make solid strategies up on the spot and adapt no matter how badly a games goes with your army is a mark of a veteran.

Being polite is jsut being a good sportsman and applies to everyone, its not a veteran exclusive thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x1)

In my opinion, veteran status comes from an understanding of the hobby on a level beyond just knowing the rules and how to paint:

You should have a good familiarity with every army's rules.
    You should have a grasp of tactics that can be applied to any situation or army.
    You know how to loose in style.
    You know advanced modeling techniques (not necessarily painting, but assembly and conversion)
    You can teach a person to play the game without resorting to a rulebook.
    You know more about the upcoming release schedule than a Redshirt does.
    You know the previous edition rule-set better than you know the current rule-set.
    You have a gaming group that you play and hangout with.
    When you walk by a game in progress, you can tell if someone is going to win or loose.
    When a person is in need of assistance you can list more than 10 separate resources they could use for help on any given subject (things like websites, or specific issues of WD).
    You can play with another person's army, competently, while they are away on an errand, regardless of what army it is.
    You don't care how much it costs. :sleep:

You don't think of yousrelf as a veteran, but everyone else does.
    :ninja:
    www.HIGHBATTALION.com - it's a link, you click it.
    "The world will be a better place when the world's resources are used for Giant Robots."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, you can't take real life into account when talking about veteran status, especially if you have never been and never will.....Being a "vet" of two theaters of war, I can tell you that you don't get "good" at being scared to death....Veteran as described by the original poster denotes some kind of expertise. Routine and heightened awareness is what you fall back on....Anyway being on the ground makes you a veteran....What you wear on your chest(not very important to me anymore) make you a vet....For you American vets out there who have never seen any side of combat....If you have your Pizza Stain/Fire Watch ribbon you are eligable to be a VFW member.

All that said,

Veteran game status IMO has nothing to do with sportsmanship or being polite to A-holes.
    You don't have to teach anyone anything...You don't have to paint, convert or anything but PLAY the game. It is silly to think that mean people are not vets.

Winning at the game, most of the time, equals a veteran. It is army specific. I know a guy who plays Eldar and he has been doing it for about 3 years. He always wins. I've seen him flustered once but never lose. He is a VET...especially with Eldar.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Davesnothereman
    Winning at the game, most of the time, equals a veteran. It is army specific. I know a guy who plays Eldar and he has been doing it for about 3 years. He always wins. I've seen him flustered once but never lose. He is a VET...especially with Eldar.
    I'm not so sure. 3 years is nothing when you consider how long WH has been around. 3 years would go back to 2004, which is nothing.

As for not losing, don't forget to take into account the calibre of the opponent you are playing

Thanks for all the great replies so far peeps, in the words of Sid Owen "we've got a good thing going..." XD

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Stonehambey View Post
    to earn Veteran status?

Basically I'm wondering what you guys think is worthy of being called a veteran (be it FB, 40K, BFG etc) and do you consider yourself a veteran player?

You could have played for years but not be very good at the game, are you a veteran then?

In almost every other aspect of life it takes years to obtain the right to be called an expert in a certain field, whether that be sports, music, certain academic fields (maths, science, history etc) yet I've seen a lot of people claim to be veteran players after having only played 20 games or so with their armies (obviously I don't speak for everyone)

I've played well over 100 games with my lizardmen alone. But I still get my ass handed to me when I play against someone who's been playing longer. I also still have a lot to learn about the army (although I'm not really gaming atm) so I don't consider myself a veteran of the game nor the army.

So basically what does it take, and do you have it?

Ciao

Stonehambey
    "Veteran" status. I contemplated this when I was introduced as, and referred to by others in the store I play as a "veteran" player. I thought to my self "Veteran?.. me? ok, I guess so"
    So, I figured it was one of those titles bestowed upon you by others around you, you could always self-proclaim it if its important to an individual, but a title is just that. I was just happy to be referred to by someone as a point of reference so they(the new person) could come and ask me questions and get me to advise them on some choices they were trying ot make for their game.

I think "veteran" is a term that denotes experience, and skill(gained through experience) The only real example that springs to mind (for what ever reason) when I think of an example is the Character from Seventh samurai(I haven't even watched it recently) he's an older warrior, and he proclaims that, in every battle he's ever fought in was a losing battle. That makes him no less a veteran and expert at what he does. (maybe a good example?)

Regardless of your win-loss record, I think if you have knowledge accumulated through experience(extensive, even) that makes your knowledge unique, I think that makes you a veteran.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonehambey View Post
    I'm not so sure. 3 years is nothing when you consider how long WH has been around. 3 years would go back to 2004, which is nothing.

As for not losing, don't forget to take into account the calibre of the opponent you are playing

Stonehambey
    Length of exeprience doesn't always denote "veteran" status, either(in my mind) Though its ususally the first "qualifying" factor. Time spent = experience.
    BUT what of a person who has spent 1 year, playing 5 different armies, 3 times a week for 4 hours each day spent playing. THAT person after 1 year will probably have some very good and unique perspective on the game that makes his knowledge valuable.
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x6)

Its all relative

Being a veteran can be really relative. For example, a lot of people at my shop are considered "veteran's" because they happen to be older. I have a different philsophy.

There was an article on Dakka Dakka that referred to "gaming utopia" IE reaching the point of gaming where your playing to play, not playing to win. That you enjoy all aspects of the hobby IE painting, building, playing, and teaching. This goes along the lines of not necessarily doing them well, but doing it for enjoyment. Veteran status also comes with years of gaming IE i've playing probably over 20+ tournaments and consistently placed in the top 5. Also it comes with being well rounded in the gaming systems: knowing the rules, familiarity with armies you don't play, willingness to learn and expand tactics, willingness to teach those around you the tricks of the trade. Also sometimes running the tournament so others can play and learn the value of the game and what it means IE teaching them its more than throwing dice and hoping to kill a Space Marine.

Anyone can power game and win, this does not make you a veteran. Anyone can sit down and paint or buy an army of ebay that's well painted.

What makes me a veteran? I've played total for over 8 year, i help run tournaments to allow others the chance to play, i'm familiar with the rules and enjoy almost everything about the hobby. I can play to win if i want, but i more would rather play and have a nice saturday afternoon. Lastly, i don't consider myself a Veteran because I call myself one, but the players around me call me one, however I still feel there is a lot i can learn and can expand about my game and look forward to doing it.
    40K-Beakies(9-14-4),Guard(4-7-2),Orks(34-12-11). FANTASY-Dwarves(15-6-7),Beasts (14-14-1), Skaven (17-17-10) DoC (6-1-2). CYGNAR (28-15-1)

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

Maybe a distinction should be made between being a 'veteran' and being an Expert- as the term seems to be interchangable on several replies to this thread.

A veteran to me would indicate someone who has been around the hobby for a long time, and expert someone who is very good at the game/has a large amount of knowledge about a certain subject.

Ive been playing with GW products since the late 80s and have over time built up a large collection of figures and games, as well as a respectable broad knowledge of the respective GW universes, however ive not played the games that much, when viewed as a games to years ratio, and i certainly couldnt quote 'fluff' like some relative newcomers can.

So i wouldnt call myself an expert, not by a long chalk, and i never will be. But a veteran? well, i remember and owned and played games such as Man o War, Kerrunch, Confrontation, Advanced Heroquest- and had a much thumbed copy of WHFB 3rd edition (i remember the excitement when the 4th edition box set came out) so yeah, maybe i do conssider myself a vet, but i would give you good odds that a good percentage of LOers would seriously whup me if they played me at any of the games
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast