How many of us are there? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many of us are there?

I've always wondered how many Games Workshop hobbyists there are in this world. I have no idea though, I do imagine it is a impressive number. Does anyone have any solid estimations of how many of us there are? :huh:

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x2)

i have heard varied estimates of 2-3 million people. remember, this number IS growing. i got this information from a thread i read 2+ years ago, when i wasn't a member yet.

Remember, if someone helps you with anything, REP THEM!

Quote Originally Posted by 10th Lyran View Post
    "Wow, that's awesome, I wish my leg looked like that!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -39 (x0)

2-3 mil?
    dont thnk that much. maybe around the hundred of thousand (700-900 thousand?). Granted my definition of hobbyist is people still regularly play/game/convert and participate in tournies/GD/store games.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind" -Dr. Suess

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshields1830 View Post
    2-3 mil?
    dont thnk that much. maybe around the hundred of thousand (700-900 thousand?). Granted my definition of hobbyist is people still regularly play/game/convert and participate in tournies/GD/store games.
    Yeah and that's not a very fair definition of a hobbyiest. Regulars (those who play one every week or so) can't be counted as the main hobby group since there are a lot of people who might game once a month or even fewer times and still counts themselves as hobbiests. I frequently talk to a guy who is a very active miniature gamer/collector and has only played a dozen or so games since 4th ed was released.

I would probably estimate that it's around 2-3 million to, but I can't back that up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

I think these figures are vast over estimations!

I would imagine the way to get a clue is to check out what GW decalre as their anual turnover
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x5)

I don't think that they are that over estimated. That game is sold in the USA, one of the most populated countries in the world, most of Europe including the UK which is much more into the game than the US from what my friend told me after visiting some hobby shops there, and it is sold in Japan and Australia. GW sales may not be reliable because there are people who haven't bought anything in a year but still play. I think, get a number of hobbyists that you think is good for a city and multiply that number by every city in the market countries that has equal or more of a population as your estimated one.

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey
    I can't offer anything new here but I just laughed my arse off that LO has an Irish accent.

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

i think 2 million wouldnt be a massive over estimate- if you think about the populations of the countries mentioned- if ytou think that in the UK, where GW originated, there is a population of 60 million, even a small percentage will give you a respectable number of people- i mean look at the number of stores there are worldwide? got to be quite a few of us to sustain that
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remeber games workshop is worldwide and there are billions of people on the Earth roughly 0.00005% are hobbyist say the planrts population was 6x10 to the power of 10 you would have 30000 hobbyists. One 2000 point army costs roughly 200 - 250 pounds so I estimate that if everyone bought that much annually Games Workshop's gross income would be 6000000 - 7500000 pounds
    Last edited by Mortise; March 19th, 2007 at 19:44.
    Coffee, the greatest liquid on Earth. (Except possibly blood which I can not do without)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say that the number of players is pretty respectable. Bridgetown Hobbies near me in PDX has as much shelf space devoted to GW as they do for D&D and fantasy miniatures. The hobby can also support Forgeworld, which has to be a pretty small niche within the hobby. This is a very expensive game and Forgeworld takes it up another notch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure they grossed 143,000,000 pounds last year which is down about 20,000,000 since 2004(you know the year of the SM codex). 55% of that was the GW Stores and Direct Sales 45% was independant stockists. I don't know how to extrapolate the number of miniature buyers(gamers not a good definition) with those numbers. I think I read that they have something like 750 independant stockist world-wide....and lets face it, with the E-bay, trading forums, and the like it would be hard to pin down. I know a dude that plays regularly...to see his collection of armies and stuff that he has not added to in years...its like a GW history lesson.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast