Screwed by my peers? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x2)

Screwed by my peers?

This may sound like a rant but I really want some opinions on this:

Our hobby store had it's first official Rogue Trader on Saturday. I played my Alpha Legion (my list is in my journal if your curious), but knew I might have to leave early because I had work.

So, I started the tournament thinking I'd lose a few and then bail. But, I didn't lose..

First game: versus the Space Wolves. Victory by an inch.
    Second game: easy game versus Ultramarines. Flanked and solid victory.
    Third game: versus Sisters of Battle. Long stalemate until an explosive finish. Victory.
    Fourth game: versus the Eldar, played by our groups best player. Miracle victory.

After the fourth round, only 2 players have 4 wins. Myself, and a player named Nick, who I've known and been close friends with for more than 10 years. Obviously, and everyone agrees, we will play eachother for first place: 100 dollars and an amazing looking trophy.

I have to go to work though! I ask to reschedule our match for the following day (our normal game day at the hobby store; everyone will be back tomorrow to free game) but he refuses. I leave, upset about his lack of character and wondering how things will turn out.

Everyone there, save 2 people, votes to forfeit me from the tournament. Some lame Godzilla Nids player takes second by a fluke, and the Death Guard (a player who should have taken first, and who I highly respect) takes third.

I just got the news that the only prize I'm entitled to is a keychain, which Games Workshop supplied for every player that registered.

Anybody have this kind of back-stabbing garbage from their hobby groups? I am livid.

2H - LEGIO HYDRA

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

next time just call your boss and say your sick even if your not going to work, you will win 100$ and a trophy while having fun ^^

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by magicaltux View Post
    next time just call your boss and say your sick even if your not going to work, you will win 100$ and a trophy while having fun ^^
    Seriously- work over play? What were you thinking?

I can see why you're dark about this but honestly, if you weren't able to commit to the whole event then I really can't see how you can expect the organisers to bend to your needs. It's unfortunate you got a winning streak on game day but that's the way it goes. From an organisers point of view I'd want the event finished and over by the end of the day. I wouldn't want to wait around for a 'final' the next day. Other competitors would want to get their results, too.

It's tough but you can always play your mate with the same army lists- just for bragging rights.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Wher dat naked blue chik? Jaffar_Hasad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    260 (x6)

Well there didn't seem to be much back stabbing going on there. It was just bad timing. I did wrestling and if you weren't at your match by the second call you were DQ'ed. Great job with your winning streak though.
    Sleeping, not dead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Removed by the moderators.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey View Post
    It's tough but you can always play your mate with the same army lists- just for bragging rights.
    Thats what a friend and I did after a tournament we both competed in. We didnt play eachother at the tourney, but he won 3/4 of his games and won 1st place. I lost or drew all 4 of my games, thing is, I knew my list was good and I'd beaten him in the past..
    I felt really hard done by that I had gotten such sh*t luckwhen it really counts!
    I was mad knowing I couldve come 1st if I had average luck. (and gotten a $150 Tau battleforce :cry: )

So out of curiosity, we played eachother later using our tournament lists, and sure enough I massacred him! :sleep:
    It did help me feel better about the losses at the tourney and prove it was only luck. But still fuming that I couldnt have the luck when it counted.

I guess my point is, I know it sucks for you, but.. sh*t happens..

I think you should challenge the guy who 'won' due to your 'forfeit'. And if you beat him then he hands over the prize & the bragging rights, even if its only you & him who know it.

Cheers
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Sorry but it sounds more like you were screwed by your job/circumstances. Also there is something that you said that means you should have planed ahead and called your work and told them you will be late or you could have got some one to cover for you.

Our hobby store had it's first official Rogue Trader on Saturday.
    Pulse there is this little matter.

but knew I might have to leave early because I had work.
    So really you screwed your self for not planning ahead, but I also know how hard it is to get a day off. I work at an airport and the only reason I have my two days off are for my collage classes(I live in the U.S I think most of you call it Uni or something right?) and I only got those because I told them I get those days off or I will have to quit, so they gave me the days off.
    If you do things right people wont be sure if you have done anything at all.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by TwoHats
    Anybody have this kind of back-stabbing garbage from their hobby groups? I am livid.
    People need to realise that what we do is a game and nothing more. Even if it's a campaign or a tournament, it's still a game. Anyone who takes it more seriously than that really annoys me. Never ever, under any circumstances, act like an arse to attain victory and/or prizes. Your "friends" should've just agreed to play the game some other time.

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For $100... I would skip work a little while.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What they did sounds fine to me. If you're going to enter a one day tournament you should really make sure that you have the time free to sit it through to the end. If they start making exceptions, that'll set a precendent, and before long their one day tournaments will be scattered all over the place.
    So my humble Guardsman's fist is as strong as a blast from his laser rifle?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x2)

I'm the sole manager of my place of business.. so I couldn't skip it.

Anyway, I've decided to drop it. I was a little dismayed that everyone showed up the next day to play anyway, despite the fact they assured me they could not. But....

It is just a game. With fierce competitors.

So I've decided to smart up and be ready to smoke those guys next time.. No mercy!
    2H - LEGIO HYDRA

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast