40K Theme Question/Discussion - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

40K Theme Question/Discussion

This is a bit of a broad question/discussion.

Does the theme of 40K; the Gothic tones and the volumes of fluff explaining the bloody bloody bloody conflicts hurt its first impression to people?

This conversation came up here at work. Some coworkers saw a few of my Codexs(sp?), I have Chaos, IG, Necron, WHs and the rule book with me now. Immediately the discussion went to how, and I quote "This is like some sort of Star Wars on drugs for gothic kids." I just laughed and said... just try it because it may look freakish by the cover but it is hella fun to play. No bones though. To much gothic freakiness. One guy looked remotely interested in Space Marines of course... apparently they seemed less gothic to him and more like Starcraft Marines.

Anyway, just something that came up and wanted to see what you LO'rs thought.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Dawn Under Heaven Triumph Of Man's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    -170 (x0)

Yeah, the marines got a big clean up in image I believe to make them more suitable for younger kids (hence the stereotypical snotty SMurf brat). They're pretty clean these days IMO.

However Chaos is still spiky as ever IMO.

Karmoon
    ... only triumph could turn pooing his pants into a good thing..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    539 (x8)

i think it's a two sided blade, on the one hand it may discourage some people on the other it heavily encouraged me to get in to the hobby in the first place!
    Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
    Voor alle nederlanders:
    The Dutch Legion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

Yes, I like it because it isn't like your typical "shiny" (so to say) sci-fi. It's dark, grim and everyone dies all the time! That's just great I think!

Read the opening in the BL books. It sums up the 40k feeling perfectly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    539 (x8)

i also always prefered starwars to startrek, starwars just seems so much more human: murders, thieves, war and betrayal... inever bought the whole "we're past greed and selfishness". That's why i think first contact is the best trekkie flick
    Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
    Voor alle nederlanders:
    The Dutch Legion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

Yeah I agree to 100% (except First Contact, havn't seen it ). Star Trek is to "techi" and "sciencey" for me. Sometimes I just want hyperspace travel, death beams and warp-daemons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Well obviously we all love it, since we play the game all the time! :yes:

There's no getting around the fact that the whole game is based on KILLING people and beasts, building war machines and weapons that KILL KILL KILL in all kinds of interesting ways...

But it isn't all evil and goth. You do have the CSM's, Witchhunters, Dark Eldar and Necrons on one hand, who are all pretty dismal and gory, but there's also Tau, Space Marines and Imperial Guard (sort of), who offer an exciting chance to save the universe, and all that junk.

But like all wargames, the central idea of it all is thinking up ideas to kill people and crush armies. There's no real mechanics for rebuilding a bright new future or anything, unless you think it up in your fluff.
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Da Mighty Camel View Post
    Yes, I like it because it isn't like your typical "shiny" (so to say) sci-fi. It's dark, grim and everyone dies all the time! That's just great I think!
    Sig'd

I agree with everyone about the darkness of the 41st Millenium, it just seems more real than Star Trek and Star Wars. Like in Star Trek humanity is a utopian society with no need for currency since it's all perfect, and that just seems really lame. As for Star Wars, there was the New Republic which is close to a utopian society where most of the galaxy is united and friendly, which again isn't very interesting.

Now in 40k there's torture, genocide, and lawlessness all across the galaxy and humanity is on the verge of collapse. There's no alliances with any aliens. There's no mercy for the weak. There's no safe havens left in the galaxy. All that's left is war, and it's just an awesome setting for a game.
    Lone Wolves (Space Wolves) - 2092 pts
    Hive Fleet Basilisk (Tyranids) - 1767 pts
    Chaos Fleet - 900 pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well.. I know WE like it... or we wouldn't play it and most likely wouldn't be here.

I guess I was just wondering if it deters the general populace who would/may otherwise consider it.

Illustrator Extraordinair Adrian MalSeraph's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x7)

Well, it may.

You see, most people get into Sci-Fi cause of all the technology and the progress.

There's nothing to say that 40k doesn't show progress, but it also shows regression. The degredation of society into a galactic police state shows this. Anarchy, rebellion, and war are commonplace. So, people in it for the techno feel often feel left out.

But I say, that there still is the techno feel, you just need to search for it. Look at the Adeptus Mechanicus, the Space Marines, and some of the Inquisition (I'm looking at you, Callidus Assassin)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast