Librarium Online Forums banner

Games Workshop love it or hate it

• Yes! I love games workshop! they are so friendly! I love the models!

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • I hate them! they are arrogant and wont stop their rediculous price increases!

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I really dont know...

Votes: 8 38.1%
Status
Not open for further replies.

Games Workshop-Love it or hate it's guts?

2K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  Sammy the Squib 
#1 ·
Games Workshop, do we hate their high prices and snotty store salesmen that backstab you into buying the most expensive things possible and lying about their own collections? Do we hate how white dwarf battle reports are rigged it isn't fun to read at all??? Or do we love Games Workshop?

#5 · (Edited)
I'm just fed up with hearing all this anti-GW crap, it's like those damn hippy protesters telling whining about election returns. yeah, the system is unfair, but you voted, which means that you willingly participated in the "unfair" system. same goes for screaming on about how GW sucks but still buying the models. you can't whine about the system if you support it.

#6 ·
I'd also like to add that this, a forum devoted primarily to their products, is not really going to get you an unbiased opinion. Plus I'm not sure I see the value of the poll- can you explain? Are you trying to find out something in particular or is it more of a rant in disguise?

#7 ·
jeez, it is just a poll. I personally like miniatures, am ok with the prices. I just hate how the store people try to shove things on you. Everybody must have had something like that happen to them. And lel, i am just making a poll, dont wet your pants about it!:yes:

#8 ·
yea i love the hobby but i don't get all this whining, though i do understand the anger made by most hobbyists about GW's ridiculous prices besides, there are other ways to buy GW miniatures without folking out bucket loads like Ebay :shifty:

it's the inflation prices, it's inevitable that GW is going to raise the prices every 3 years to avoid the small change so i suggest that you get used to it and adapt because it's only going to get higher...

just my opinion folks so don't take it personally :)

-Kai-Itza-

#9 ·
Yeah I guess you've got to weigh it up against the cost of any other hobby or sport. My two daughters both play sports and constantly seem to be at me for more money for uniforms, travelling away, club and association fees etc.. With warhammer once you've bought the figures, thats pretty much it. If you game at a club in the bigger cities, they have to charge a few dollars to cover their costs which I don't have a problem with; but if you play at home with a few mates then no extra expense. Also if you do a reasonable paint job, you can pretty much make some of your money back on figures by selling them on ebay if you want to get out of the hobby. Anyone who has a hobby of drinking at the pub or hotting up their car etc. can't say the same. Their money is dead and gone.
I get asked every time I go into GW if they can help; but a firm but polite "I'm O.K." seems all that is necessary to say for salesmen to leave me alone.
There are other figure manufacturers around who make brilliant figures too, but very few have shops where you can walk in and look before you buy. I buy a lot of my figures through mail order if I know exactly what I want; but its always nice to wander in the shop and day dream. After all this I will have a winge too. Why is the music always so ##### loud in GW shops!!!!!! :w00t:

#12 ·
i like GW, if i didnt i wouldnt spend so much time and money on their products- i even like White Dwarf- over the 17 years ive been a player of their products etc ive got a lot of enjoyment out of what they do. Sure the GW staff can be a little pushy, but ive had some very good experiences with GW redshirts, they are friendly and usually very enthusiastic about the hobby- but at the end of the day its their job to sell stuff, ive worked in shops in my youth and i was pushy too, its called retail people, they arent running a charity

What i dont understand is that if people feel they actually hate the company why play their games and use their products? there are plenty of wargames around and miniature companies- or take up another hobby, i wouldnt stick with doing something i hate

#13 ·
What i dont understand is that if people feel they actually hate the company why play their games and use their products? there are plenty of wargames around and miniature companies- or take up another hobby, i wouldnt stick with doing something i hate
hear hear... the price may spoil it, sure, but the warhammer universe and the models more than make up for it

#14 ·
1)The prices on some things are heavy for what u get
2) With a bit of tweaking WD (hope they listen to the people on the warseer forum where they(GW) are asking opinions on how to improve) can be great again.
3) I live in Africa, i have neve been to a store so on that part of the poll i cannot comment.

Their models are either briliant or getting there, people tend to forget that it takes a lot of time, energy and MONEY to design, mould and produce machinery to produce these new models, and considering the wide variety of different units in any given army it is understandable that armies take a while to revamp etc etc.

They really do prod the nicest models on average. There are some comps that produce SOME nicer models than GW but are the vast minority. Ever have a look at these sites and think that theirs look alot like GW one's?. Coincidence???

:yes: :w00t:

#15 ·
Yeah, I don't think there can be any mistake about it - anyone who is a regular player of these games and a regular contribitor to these forums will have a hard time pulling off the "I hate GW" soap box convincingly.

I'll steal part of a quote from The Paint Monkey in another thread
Gw is no better or worse than the others, it just happens to be your hobby.
This sums it up pretty well. Anytime I see a rant with someone pissed at GW's customer service or prices, it always seems to translate to "I hate myself for loving this hobby too much to drop it". I agree with the general concencus so far that if any of us actually hated the company, we would stop buying the product. What is actually the case is that people just love to gripe about the company. It gets a little silly.

For my part, I love GW. I've loved it since 1987 when I watched my brother assemble a bunch of Space Marines while I flipped through the Rogue Trader rulebook. I loved it when I turned 13 and got my first set of paints and brushes. I loved playing Space Marine, Heroquest, Space Hulk, Man O' War, Blood Bowl, Talisman, Warmaster, Oi! Dats My Leg!, Space Crusade, Mordheim, and any other GW game I could get my hands on because the minis are almost always cool, the fluff excellent, and the rules are usually entertaining, if not always good.

Sure, the games get expensive, but it's my choice to buy and my choice to play. Until I feel that what I pay is more than the value I receive, I don't mind the occasional price hike. Really I just want GW to continue making these games.

Guess how I voted.

#16 ·
It's like old married people really.
At heart, I love my GW stuff. If they went out of business I'd definently cry.
however, I hate GW for their bad habits. The constant price hikes are almost alzheimers-like (we want more revenue bc of lack of customers, lets hike prices. Two years later: we have fewer customers, HIKE PRICES!) see what I mean. GW does some stupid shit to you, but as long as you walk a fine line and use roguetraders, your okay.

I have a personal beef against GW for releasing the WE army books a matter of WEEKS before releasing the new rules that absolutely SCREWED my army. I had to pack away $300 in models that I had bought, just because there was no point using them anymore.

#17 ·
I've got to say I don't know anymore, I do like the models although some are in severe need of re-doing, which they could have gotten around to along time ago. I do like my local stores, good staff who are genuinely interested in what you have to ask/say. I don't however as a business student and a customer like, nor see the sense in their business strategy. Upping prices is stopping people from playing, i've only just started up again as I have the money now, but a good number of m8s who played in the past have recently or in the past stopped because of the cost of the hobby. Rather than upping prices they need to get more people interested in the hobby so they can cut prices, how, god knows but they can't just go on upping prices.

I love the hobby and the models but can't stand the way they work.

#18 ·
I LOVE it when people start bitching about the pricing and seem to think they know all about how the business works, the reasons for the price hikes, and the reason they should lower prices.

If you want to bitch about high prices that is one thing. I hate high prices too. There I said it. That is my opinion. That is your opinion. Whatever... Please don't try to justify it or come up with some half baked ill-researched answer about the reasons why they do it or how to fix it. Let's face reality - you don't know the answer.

Me personally I like the models. I love to paint. Can't say I have played the game much but the few times I have I have really enjoyed it. I have never had a problem with the GW staff in regards to trying to sell to me. They can't make you buy something. Even if they pester you constantly - ultimately it is your decision to pull out the green at the register. If you don't want them hounding on you - tell them so. If you don't you have nobody to blame but yourself.

Now if it is one thing I would like to complain about - my local GW store can't keep a schedule if it depending on someones life. I have participated in a couple of their big store events and never have they started on time (usually an hour or 2 hate). Nothing like sitting around waiting for them to try to get organized. :)

Ultimately though I personally find a poll like this completely pointless, shows the immaturity of the post, and offers nothing of value to the forum. I refuse to vote! {goofy}

Cheers,

-Mike

#19 ·
Oh dear, this poll wasn't really thought out well was it? It's like going to a guitar forum and starting a poll entitled "Guitars! Love them or hate them!?"

There is a very similar thread to this one here, a quick read through this will probably provide you with most people's feelings on the matter.

Ciao

Stonehambey

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.