Where do you draw the line?.. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

Where do you draw the line?..

Hi all,

We had a game against a new opponent the other week, which is nice considering the lack of players where Im from. However the standard of his armies appearence was about as bad as it gets..

The best thing he had was a completed Hive Tyrant & guards painted with 2 colours to a poor standard.
    The rest of the army varied from:
    -Partially built, not based, not undercoated
    -Built, not based, not undercoated
    -Built, not based, undercoated

The worst was his unit of Gargoyles. They were built & not undercoated, however they didnt have the clear plastic flying bases.. so they were moving around the field laying on their backs :x

I know there are 2 types of players.. Hobbyists who enjoy all aspects of the game (building, painting & playing). Then there are pure gamers who only care about playing (and usually care too much about winning!)
    I dont mind at all if people use afew fully built undecoated units while the army is a WIP, but he admittedly just makes no effort at all..& it was obvious anyway.

Normally I have no problem playing against pure gamers with poorly painted armies, if they made an effort to at least make the army acceptable. But to me this one just isnt good enough..

So, Where do you draw the line? How would you feel when faced with this army?

This is mostly aimed at the 'hobbyist' types like myself. Im not really interested in hearing the gaming types (like this guy) rant about being an elitist etc..

Cheers

Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

Depends if theres any other available games.

If its the only game available then I'll let them get away with just about anything.

Of course if they have a horrible army I take the chance to proxy some units that I don't get to use like harlies or wraithguard. It's not as though they can complain about it after all. :yes:
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x6)

I'm generally laid back about what you use in games, especially since I'm a pretty shoddy painter and I can't really get into a basing mood very often. I do however have three rules:

1) If it's not on a base it's not in the game (with obvious exceptions)
    2) If it's not in one piece it had better be a conversion, waiting for parts, a proxy, or broken very recently.
    3) I had better know and be okay with said proxy.

Naturally I do prefer if you do some work on your army over time. In fact you should, or I might paint them for you. :w00t:
    Veni Vidi Variant
    I came, I saw, I got a different type of Leman Russ.

The spikey ones go faster.

98% of the teen population has smoked weed, the other 2% went straight to crack.

Saga of the Ages. Click it.

Rules for grenades are on page 72 of the rulebook.

The most glorious rainbow ever, Pleasuretown.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    67 (x3)

I recently played against a nicely converted Last Chancers army that was neither based of undercaoted. I didn't complain because most of the models had extensive conversions and the guy was really cool and nice. My hobby store is generally pretty accepting, you can play if they're built. We get a few players with fully painted armies, and some newbies (I'm semi-new) who are just starting and have armies in progress.

Personally, I try to be as accepting as possible. If everything's built and nothing's falling apart, I'm okay, unless the person's being a ****, in which case I usually bug him about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett on Quidditch
    I couldn't help but imagine some poor guy looking up to find a Badger hurtling towards him, about to wrap itself around his skull.
    [ 1500pt. Chaos List, C&C! ]
    -=W: 2 -D: 0- L: 3=-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

dude I think you're overreacting. As long as it is clear what they are and what squad each thing belongs to then chill.

It's a game, not a fashion parade.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://godisimaginary.com/index.htm
    Diabolus fecit, ut id facerem!
    ANZAC Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't mind an unpainted army but as long as everything is constructed, stuck on a base and easily recognisable. Proxies are fine but as long as its a different thing for each proxied unit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Necrons army
    W/L/D

0/2/1

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

@Sentinel, I think you can delete them yourself using the Edit button in the right corner.

On topic:
    I think this topic has been up for debate quite a few times before, and we have different ways of looking upon armies and their role upon the field/gaming board.
    Some think painting is important, others are a lot more relaxed.
    But seriously, if you don't want to play against him due to his army looking crappy - just explain it to him and then don't play.
    If it really isn't that important then play.
    It should be fun to play against each other.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Cyric the Mad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    706 (x8)

Given how long it takes me to finish painting an army, I find myself firmly in the "whatever" camp when it comes to painted figures. For the most part, as long as it is on a base and recognizable, I'm okay with it. I think proxies are okay, but within limits. I don't want to have to remember if that coke can is just your coke or if it's your chaos dragon, so I at least like proxies to somewhat resemble what they represent (as far as size, and you know, being an actual model is a nice touch).

In a perfect world we could all either lead by example or by giving some dorky version of the St. Crispin speech and motivate these souls into painting their armies, but the fact is some people just don't like to paint or have no time to paint. Doesn't mean they can't (or shouldn't) play the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

We usualy played with a 2 week rule, you had 2 weeks to play with it uncompleted and after that it was seriously frowned upon (unless you'd bought an army box or somesuch).

We also had a 5 colour standard, you don't have to be flashy or even really highlight etc, but painiting neatly 'by numbers' looks infinitely better than unpainted/undercoated.
    Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel5000
    Sorry, the page wouldn't load and I clicked the submit button too many times. Please delete the extra posts and lower my post count accordingly as well as adding warning level.
    Lol, no warning for double posts buddy! Happens to the best of us

Quote Originally Posted by Manu_Forti
    This is mostly aimed at the 'hobbyist' types like myself. Im not really interested in hearing the gaming types (like this guy) rant about being an elitist etc..
    So you're trying to avoid this thread becoming elitist by aiming it at only a specific type of gamer. Interesting.

Where do I draw the line? I don't when it comes to painting. I draw the line at people cheating and/or being an asshole. But that's about it. I just wanted to come and have a good time and not worry about whether my army was painted up to a certain standard or not.

It could've been that the guy simply hadn't had time to stick the bases on his flying unit, I'm sure it's something he will get round to eventually. Would you really begrudge him a game because of that?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast