Dan abnett is a bad writer! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x4)

Dan abnett is a bad writer!

Taken from the book "The Traitors Hand" by Sandy Mitchell, page 285

"Come on men! Do you want to live forever!" The noncom in charge of the squad must have been on something, i thought. Nobody spoke like that outside badly-written combat novels.

I had a good laugh it this today, as a reader of warhammer books i and im sure you as well know that the famous Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt uses the words "Come on men! Do you want to live forever!" quite a lot during his many actions around the universe.

Want do you think about this? Maybe he was having a pop at good old abnett or maybe he didn't see what he was writing? Anyway it made me laugh so i thought i would post it here for you to have a good laugh at as well

"Hey sarge, this lasgun is heavy. I wish we had something lighter."

FF7: ABOUT RANDOM BATTLES

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

I think you might want to name your topics a bit more carefully KOS, you might end up getting some flak from someone like Greph.

Abnett writes the Gaunt novels, and Guant is a man who is very dedicated to serving the imperium, taking back worlds from aliens and chaos, and inspiring the men under his command.

Mitchell writes the Cain novels, and Cain is a man who's dedication is to keeping his own hide intack. Where Gaunt is a leader of men and a hero through intentional acts of heroism, Cain is a coward who gets lucky because, despite everything he says, he has the training of a hero without the will to throw down his life if need be.

Its not so much a crack from one author at another, its really what you get when you see the differences of two characters who personify different heroic traits. Gaunt is the front liner who would save a world at the cost of his life, Cain is hero by reputation who would rather be away from any world that needs him to risk his life to save it.

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

Dan Abnett isn't such a bad writer (he is no Phillip K Dick but he gets the job done).

Graham McNeill on the other hand was truly terrible when he wrote False Gods. It actually required a force of will to finish that book. Luckily Galaxy in Flames ( by Ben Counter) was better.
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x4)

Well for the record i really enjoyed Dan abnett's books like Guants ghosts and Double eagle, traitor general being the best of them. This was just something i came across and thought it was worth bring up, im not trying to compare the Commissar's against each other as we all know that they serve the emperor in their own way. I must say that i do find the Cain books a welcome change from all the other books that gloss over the men and woman that aren't all to eager at being the first one "over the top" if you know what i mean

Feel fire to change the title if you want but its just there because thats what the quote makes it sound like.
    "Hey sarge, this lasgun is heavy. I wish we had something lighter."

FF7: ABOUT RANDOM BATTLES

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

216 (x7)

You should name your topics better..
    I was ready to internet bok-choi you!

In conclusion both Commissars rank among my favourite characters.
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

186 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by KOS-MOS View Post
    I must say that i do find the Cain books a welcome change from all the other books that gloss over the men and woman that aren't all to eager at being the first one "over the top" if you know what i mean
    I like Gaunt, but this is why I'll always like Cain better; he may be a hero of the imperium but by no means does he believe he got there by really being a hero.

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

It could be a crack at Starship Troopers as well...

Or in pop culture in general since it's a somewhat widely used phrase.
    "Tell me what you cherish most. Give me the pleasure of taking it away." Sephiroth, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

What? Heresy!

...wait, the topic name is misleading. Of course. No-one could dislike Dan Abnett.

Cain < Gaunt < Eisenhorn. Inquisitors ftw!
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Ok, I'll take a chance and risk a beating for sticking to the thread title.

Overall, I realize no one wants to slam the guy who has practically built the fluff that goes with this game, and I must admit, at least from the Eisenhorn trilogy I read, that Abnett has all the classic elements required of a "good" book: Interesting, sympathetic, well-defined characters, an engaging plot, and a relatively satisfying resolution to conflict that involved the character getting himself out of trouble (as opposed to relying on the cavalry), and the resolutions, while typically violent, were expected in this genre (it is a WAR game, after all), and not overdone. He is creative, and whatever you think of him as a writer, you can't argue with the extraordinary depth he has lent to this game. He really knows how to bring it to life.

Having said all that, Abnett has, I think, a poor writing style, most notable in his abysmally bad exposition. I got VERY tired of him going on and on explaining what people were thinking and why, and he would throw poorly-scripted phrases into the beginning of chapters in a cheap, lazy, transparent effort to manufacture tension, like, "I lost my left hand on <planet>. Here is how it happened." Blech. Save the "teases" for television. Show, don't tell, Dan. Didn't anyone ever teach you that?

Then there's the melodrama. Way too many of Eisenhorn's thoughts were punctuated by phrases dripping with testosterone the likes of which I would expect to find in one of those it's-so-good-it-went-straight-to-video action movies shown late at night on TV because the networks are too embarrassed to show them at a time where people will see them. I'd cite more examples, but I don't have the book with me right now. Maybe he does that to target a specific audience, and I admit for what he is writing, it's pretty darned good. I just with the Warhammer people would hold Abnett (and all the writers, for that matter) to a higher standard. Maybe if Abnett wrote something outside of Warhammer, I'd check it out, and possibly have a different opinion, but I'm guessing not, which turns me off as a reader.

Sorry, Dan. You don't suck, but you're not my favorite, either.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

178 (x3)

Dan Abnett does employ a somewhat cheesy style of writing that is certainly not to everyone’s literary tastes.

I feel that while the events in his books are rarely realistic he often more than makes up for this fact by creating a likable protagonist who I as a reader actually care about.

That is something that not every Black Library novel succeeds in doing for me as too many authors buy into this “In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war”.

In short: his books are not the most evocative pieces of literature you will ever read, but if you expect a masterpiece from Black Library you are expecting disappointment.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast