The Black Library... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well the description sais it all...
    As some people know I have already said I had read quite a bit of the black library publications lately... some of the info you get there could easily shift the entire fate of the 40k universe...

E.g I quote from the novel "Eye of terror"

...The psykers gagged to muffle their screams, were struggling and attemting to speak. The Schola Psykana adepts who read their minds - a safety screen against Chaos terrors - relayed a startling message.
    There were no dockyards orbiting the denoted worlds. No enourmous yards and factories on the planetary surface. The Navy had come to destroy what was simply not there. The psykers abourd the nullship had been deceived. They had picked up mental images only..."

No that alone is not the "scary" part.... Who did these mental images come from?
    The book also states a massive alliance between Khorne and Tzeentch... and the Tzeentchian greater deamon also claiming to to be able to create matter.... Making it possible to fasion a fleet in the warp and then launch it into real space...
    To me that sounds like a prelude to the 13. black crusade.....

But the last part of the book is most interesting....

What ever happened to Lion el' Johnson, the primach of the Dark angels?
    I will come back with thge answer later...

But anyway... how serious should we take the black library publications... as mere fiction(as if the game is real... yeah right&#33, or as actual events taking place??

check out my blog: DRAGONSLAYERO

HEY!
    I WAS IN THE IMPERIAL (Norwegian) GUARD!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    242 (x6)

Comparing fluff to the game never really seems to work...

I've also read 'Eye of Terror' and the mental images were seen within the Eye of Terror itself. Anything is possible in the EoT because dreams and reality are the same, mental images and matter are the same and realspace and the warp are the same.

There is no point trying to find an explanation for anything in the Eye. Take the Rose Cluster for instance. It's a system of stars that look like roses! All the planets are shaped like roses as well. The Cluster was formed by some creative Daemon who was bored!

Or what about the Greater Daemons? One moment they are 'only' about a hundred feet tall and the next moment they are bigger than entire solar systems.

As for the psykers going nuts it is because the Daemons of the warp can attack them directly when they are in the Eye.

WARNING!!! SPOILER ALERT!!! IF YOU WANNA READ EYE OF TERROR DO NOT PROCEED!!!

-
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    As for the Lord of Change creating matter I believe he actually fails in doing this which is why he does not defeat the the Imperial Fleet.

There's no logic in the Eye of Terror. It's probably the closest we're gonna come to hell (or heaven).
    "We're the Death Korp of Krieg, son. Did you think that was just a pretty name? We never retreat. We fight and we die, that's the Krieg way."
    -Lieutenant Konarski at the Battle of Erebus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x8)

euh, yeah spoiler here

You're right, the Lord of Change fails, because apparently it's not possible to create matter that lasts for an extended period of time. The other LoC's all knew this (from their own experience?), and so make fun of him :ph34r: .
    Ze titles yez...
    When in doubt,
    Smite.
    <SilverMane> I would trust BID with my life
    <SilverMane> HEIL BID!
    <Adrian-> BiD is Omnipotent; All Knowing, All Powerful!
    <Scary_Troopers> I see you as an optimist, GT. : D

But what of the midgets!?
    =]Front in favour of Moderation of the Harshest kind.[=

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok this next bit is just because I liked it so much that I think that the rest of you should hear it too...

It&#39;s picked from "Liber chaotica"
    It depicts the end of a world in the hads of Khorne...

"And after all that was done, I looked out upon the world and saw it in shadow. I looked to the sun and eclipsing the my view stood the mountain. And then I kew the last days were upon us.

I raised my eyes to it&#39;s peak and there stood a man. The man held his hands aloft against the light and from them issued forth the deepest shadow the size of which could cover all the lands and plunge them into unnatural darkness. As the darkness touched me I knew this to be The Blood Lord Khorne, come to take his final toll.

He leaped into the air and with him detached the shadow from the earth, and I saw that these shadows were his wings by which he would sweep away the kingdoms and nations of this earth.

Behind him followed eight creatures each with faces that looked in every direction. I peered upon them and knew them to be the eight princes of blood, and their names were Bharoea, Folhlyytar, Kwenterraril, N&#39;Nerthryl, Irshardyr, Yiotderss, Daccq&#39;tlao and Gzardentane.

And the lord of blood did travel to the island to the north of the great raised continent and did visit the altar of his name. There he places his hands on the sword in place there and did redlaim the eternaø blade, for the end of times were now upon us all.

And the Lord of blood did stand before the first creature which was of iron and lead, which had four legs and four eyes and who walked with the roll of thunder and did bear upon his brow the mark of Khorne inscribed in a seal of black iron. And this first creature did bow down before his master. And the Lord of Blood did raise his sword and strike the head of this first creature from it&#39;s body.

And when the head fell to the ground the world did quake and tremble as it had never done before. The walls and buildings of every town and city did fall to the ground, and the mighty towers of the mortal nations did collapse upon themselves. No fortress stood nor no other structure was left standing and the wild things did enter the towns and the cities and savage the people cowering therein, for there was no defence to keep them away. Thus the world was leveled and returned to its savegery.

And the Lord of Blood did stand before the second creature, which was a bull of fire and flowing metal, which had four legs and four legs more, and had a gaze of fire that scourched whatever its gaze fell upon. And this second creature did bow down before his master. And the Lord of Blood did raise his sword and strike the head of this second creature from its body.

And as the blade cleaved through its neck there blossomed a pillar of fire that reached up high above the world and then dove down to bore into its heart. Upon which each hill and mountain of the world was consumed in its flame which shattered their peaks and threw them high into the air to fall upon the peoples fleeing from their hidden homes. Thus none could hide from the final wrath.

And the Lord of Blood did stand before the third creature that was a faceless steed of grey and white dust whose body did ebb and flow and gradually reformed with the winds that forever carried it apart. And this third creature did bow down to its master. And the Lord of Blood did raise his sword and strike the head of this third creature from its body.

And as the sword-blade struck the steed did disappear upon the winds and was carried across the lands of the world. Whereever the dust of its creature touched the fertile earth it became as dead as ash, upon whick no life could ever bloom. Thus there could never more be new life of that basest kind that supports all others.

And the Lord of Blood did stand before the fourth creature that was a formless being of flowing flesh and pulsating veins whose body rippled and pulsed with every beat od its heart. And the fourth creature did bow down before his master as best as it could. And the Lord of Blood did raise his sword and strike off that foremost portion of this fourth creature from its body.

And from the gaping wound that was left there came a deluge of blood, a crimson flood to cover the earth with its death, and from the mountain too there came a torrent as the skulls kried bloody tears and the bones split and bled their marrow down onto the world. All the waters of the world became as blood and the seas turned red and the wells were fouled and the rivers and streams clogged and flooded with the hardening flow. Thus those that fled his wrath would pant until death for refreshment and always be denied.

And the Lord of Blood did stand before the fifth creature that was a collared beast, hideous in apperance with limbs and teeth and skin and eyes that could not be glanced upon for fear of running mad with the terror of its sight. And this fifth creature did bow down before his master. And the Lord of Blood did raise his sword and strike off the head of this fifth creature from its body.

And as the sword struck the collar and broke it in two there was released a mighty force that flew to the raised continent and smashed the spells of confinement asunder. Thereupon every mage and sorcerer that did not bear the mark fell dead where they stood. Thus never more would the undeniable Chaos be impisoned.

And the Lord of Blood did satnd before the sixth creature which was of impenetrable darkness upon whick no detail nor feature could be deciphered. And this sixth creature did bow down before his master. And the Lord of Blood did raise his sword and strike off the head of this sixth creature from its body.

And as the sword passed through this darkness, the forces containing it fell apart and the darkness bled forth poured itself out across the world before draining down deep into the poisoned earth. As it passed under me I felt the chill of total evil and realised this was the shadow riding forth, making out realm as that of the others and fit thereby for itsmost unholy denizens. Thus out two realms became one and the deamons may then walk free.

And the Lord of Blood did stand before the seventh creature which was a hollow frame and featureless skin lest an enlarged oval mouth. And this seventh creature did bow down before its master. And the Lord of Blood did raise his sword and strike off the head of this seventh creature from its body.

And once the blow had been struck there came a roaring gale than ran through the creature’s body and produced a howling call that sounded in every in every heart and head. There then marched in responce every deamon of his faith and every mortal to his name devoted. Then the call resounded and struck back at the mountain, and the mountain’s very slopes began to rise as the dead of Khorne’s loyal followers and their victims from all time from his creation, rose as one and joined the serried ranks of this, his supreme horde with which he could counquer all existensce.

And the people of the world did groan at suck a sight for there stood for every one of their warriors, countless numbers of this foe. Their destruction was inevitable and ordained, however even as they realised this I saw their armies join as oneand, eager now they marched forth against this horde to bring them to one final battle.

And the Lord of Blood did stand before the eighth creature, which had been crouched and curled and so obscured his form. Now he stood plain and I saw now that he and his god he stood before were identical, so that none could tell them apart. The creature and the Lord of Blood took one another by the head and soared into the air until one could be distinguished from the other. And then on did gain the victory and took up the sword from where it had falled and strike the head off the other.

And the armies of the world stood where they had watched and slowly their weapons and banners dropped from their hands and all rage and courage and thoughts of war fled their bodies, and they cowered and fled from the battlefield.

And the gods, the dead, the living and deamons of the horde did turn upon one another with such will and savegery, that the slaughter of such multitude did only last until the sun was hid behind the mountain, before they all of them were destoyed.�

HEY!

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But you have to agree on one point that the novels depict a story which easily could be taken for some historic event in the galaxy.

Does not even the guys at GW take some part of the novels and play further on from the story...

Take the battlereport in WD before christmas, the one between IW and BL.
    The battle report is kind of a postlude from the "Storm of iron" novel.
    They even mention that...

HEY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x8)

Sometimes you see a name in a codex or WD article you know from a novel, that&#39;s pretty cool. So I think the novels are linked with the fluff .
    Ze titles yez...
    When in doubt,
    Smite.
    <SilverMane> I would trust BID with my life
    <SilverMane> HEIL BID!
    <Adrian-> BiD is Omnipotent; All Knowing, All Powerful!
    <Scary_Troopers> I see you as an optimist, GT. : D

But what of the midgets!?
    =]Front in favour of Moderation of the Harshest kind.[=

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to hear....
    Hey isn&#39;t it a nice gathering of happenings then that just now that I have finished "Storm of Iron" that the eye of terror campaign is starting...
    The deamon prince and the now warmaster Honsou does "discover" an Adeptus Mechanicus gene seed storage facility?

HEY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don&#39;t read the books I find the writing to be awful. Thats not to knock the content but lets be honest they aren&#39;t Tom Clancy or anything like that.

What did happen to Lion el&#39;Jonson then?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    242 (x6)

Originally posted by Brother Ugent@May 27 2003, 11:30
    I don&#39;t read the books I find the writing to be awful. Thats not to knock the content but lets be honest they aren&#39;t Tom Clancy or anything like that.
    I agree... Some of the novels are written in a pretty dumb way but not all of them...
    Nightbringer was very well written in my opinion...
    "We're the Death Korp of Krieg, son. Did you think that was just a pretty name? We never retreat. We fight and we die, that's the Krieg way."
    -Lieutenant Konarski at the Battle of Erebus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The inquisitor triliogy was welll written as well, but some aren&#39;t so good. Not going to name any, but when (if) you read them then you will notice.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast