Warmachine vs Warhammer - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warmachine vs Warhammer

I've been trying to decide to continue in my Warmachine Cryx army or in my Warhammer 40k/fantasy Chaos army. What do you think are the pros and cons of each?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

Pros for war machine are lower model counts = cheaper to play and more sophisticated rules makes it more of a tactical combat simulation and less of a dice base strategy game.

The biggest pro for warhammer is depending on where you live it will likely be about 10,000X easier to find people to play with =).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

Pros of warmachine: Better rules, better gameplay, cheaper.

Pros of Warhammer: It's pretty! Seriously, it looks 10,000,000 times better than warmachine.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

I think InquisitorAffe has the best answer you may find.

I have not played it but Warmachine seems like a fun game, but the few people that play any miniture games around here play 40K. (the whole 5 or 6 of us)

Finally Onlainari I think your wrong about Warmachine has some awesomely wicked models, and I plan on getting a few just for conversions.
    If you do things right people wont be sure if you have done anything at all.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

From what I've been able to gather:

Warmachine
    Pros
    • Fewer model count = less money spent on models
    • Beautiful/unique models
    • Fun rules, less loopholes (etc.) than WH
    Cons
    • You don't get that 'epic' feel due to less models
    • Less people play it
    • Lack of customization

Warhammer FB/40k
    Pros
    • Gives you that epic feel
    • More people play these games, easier to find opponents
    • More army list variants/customization
    • More conversion opportunities
    • Great models, in most cases
    Cons
    • Price - expensive models, and lots of them
    • Some rules are broken
    • GW doesn't always fix the broken rules
    • More little kids, I think

Anyways, that's my take on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm interested in knowing this as well. I'll probably have enough money saved up soon (finally!) to get started on a wargame.

I've heard alot that Warmachine is the better game and their 'pewter models' or something like that is cooler than 40k's, but I'm a pretty big fan of 40k's setting.

So not quite sure which to get started on.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x8)

Yeah for me it's about the setting, I love the races and the whole background of 40k, I was interested in warmachine years ago, but only for its concept sketches - they were fantastic! I didn't know it was a real game until I saw them down at the mindgames when I started collecting warhammer.

but one hobby is enough for me.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by nabs View Post
    I'm interested in knowing this as well. I'll probably have enough money saved up soon (finally!) to get started on a wargame.

I've heard alot that Warmachine is the better game and their 'pewter models' or something like that is cooler than 40k's, but I'm a pretty big fan of 40k's setting.

So not quite sure which to get started on.
    I've been a 40k player/modeler for a while, and JUST bought some new warmachine stuff. While I agree that the models look fantastic, my gripe is that they're metal and even if DID have the guts to convert them, the game frowns on that. You play with the models you have, and that's it. Cuts back a tad on the creativity aspect, to me.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    170 (x5)

I don't know where people can rightly say that Warmachine's rules are less b0rken than Warhammer's.
    With the exception of a few cases here and there, Warhammer is pretty clean and pretty balanced.

In fact, I'm having a hard time even thinking of a Warhammer (not 40k, mind you) rule that is outrageous and game-breaking.

Warmachine is positively crawling with ridiculously b0rken rules than Privateer Press stubbornly refuses to fix due to its credo: "If everything's broken, then it's all balanced." (Privateer can be a frustrating company sometimes.)

With effective eBaying, conversion and patience, a Warhammer army can be had for the same or less than a comparable Warmachine army, so price isn't really an issue. (For example, I've got around 2,000 points' worth of Dwarfs that I didn't pay $100US for.)

Painting Warmachine is a joy because you never really have to paint more than three or four of any given model, so there's less boredom and less "I don't care anymore if the paint is sloppy, it's one Ork in a thousand." But, like Canew said, there's no conversion.

There's a lot less list-hammering in Warmachine. That's not the say there isn't any, but there's less. This is good, because the fact that a well-tuned 40k list has pretty much already won before the first die is cast bothers me tremendously. (At that point, it's not a game anymore, it's a puzzle.)

(By the way, don't overlook HORDES. It's PP's 'other' game. It's the second game they made, but it's compatible with Warmachine. A few subtle changes to game mechanics and a few years' of development experience make the game a lot more balanced.)

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    525 (x8)

The "less people play PP games"-argument is flawed, though. Some areas have a lot off WM/Hordes players and no WH/40k players, in other areas it is the other way around.
    It all comes down to where you are located and if there is any local press gangers. If there are press gangers in your area (you can check it here - Company > Retail > Demos :: Privateer Press) then you can easily contact them about a demo-game or info about it - they will gladly help - and there is bound to be other players around if there's a press ganger.

Also, Warmachine/PP is quite big in the US, where finding opponents is a lot easier.

What I like about Warmachine is the "Everything is broken"-approach, since it means that the power creep is a fundamental part of the game and encouraged by the players. While in WH (Fantasy at least, all because of the Wood Elves), the aim of updating an army was to create a balanced force, while now it is to power creep it by ridicolous proportions (Seen the new rumours for the Daemon book? Not even mentioning the High Elves...).
    Power creep have never been part of WH Fantasy, and the inclusion of it now is somehting that I despise.

I don't mind the all-pewter of WM/Hordes. PP's sculpts are very good and mould lines and flash is not a big issue. They are easy to spot and easy to remove without spoiling any detail of the model.
    Getting things to stick togheter is not a huge issue either, not more than with GW models. There is no reason not to learn how to pin stuff, really.

I also like the depth the rules of WM/Hordes have and they are more advanced than 40k or fantasy, but does not nescesserily require more time to learn. They fit the approach to smaller forces perfectly well.

I also love the setting of WM/Hordes. It is a traditional fantasy-world with many unique twists and where there can be magic and strange creatures, but without the abundnace of Orcs and Elves. Sure, there are Elves, but they are hardly the main actors in the Iron Kingdoms.

It is true that you cannot customize and create your own characters, but I do not see that as much of an issue since it creates a game less about creating the most powerful and efficient lists and instead using what you have in powerful combos. Sure, certain lists have a harder time winning, but you cannot rule it out completely just because it happens to have a Charger in it (one of the models in the game that almost all agree on that it is not very good).

I like Fantasy/40k as well, but WM and Hordes is a fresh breeze that have captured my interest and, at the moment, I am enjoying WM more than I enjoy 40k or fantasy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast