Librarium Online Forums banner

UNIT OF THE WEEK - Land Raider Variants

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  fombat 
#1 ·
This week we will be discussing the various Land Raiders available to Grey Knights. Which do you use, if any at all? How do you use them? What do you fill them with? What upgrades are viable/effective?

As always I shall get the ball rolling. Up to now I am yet to run a Land Raider (LR) for my GK army, but if I was to choose a particular pattern, it would most likely be the Crusader to run a terminator/Paladin unit across the board and be primarily used as an assualt platform. If I were to run with the crusader pattern, I would avoid the Psybolt upgrade as it would remove the ability to fire the sponsons as defensive weapons. A multimelta for the hull would be included to help with the anti-vehicle capabilities of my army also.

Discuss....

#2 ·
I use the Redeemer as an assault platform for my unit of assassins and crusaders. As the cheapest raider giving it both the multi melta and the psybolt upgrade works out pretty well. If you are keeping it with the rest of your force it can fire both tank hunting weapons at different targets which is really nice; though you normally want to shoot it first as the multimelta is not very reliable, but it is so cheap you should always get it. The 4 S7 twin linked rending shots is great against infantry and tanks and is often your second weapon when using your flame cannons as it is not worth putting both flamers on a unit (you can normally get more with one and the psycannon). And it carries a unit that puts out 40 power weapon attacks on the charge (32 at init6) and has 4 3+invuls and 6 5+ invuls...the only problem is that they tend to wipe things out and then get shot to bits, but it only costs 150 points and saves the rest of your GKs.

#3 · (Edited)
I love the idea of the redeemer, but it has limited range and has a smaller carrying capacity than the Crusader. I prefer the Crusader and same as poke, multi melta and no Psybolt ammo. It is great when your terminators pile out as eight Terminators looks very imposing. I have used the standard one (with Lascannons) but only when using a Crowe list, as I don't use terminators in my Crowe list and the standard LR can carry a full squad of Purifiers.

#5 ·
As I ran an old Deam0nhunter list I own 2 regular LRs and they hardly ever let me down.... apart from one disastrous Mech Eldar game... but I have yet to use them in the new Grey Knights army as I only used them as they were my only AT and transport, Rhinos and PsyRyfleDreads solves those issues.

As my games scale up past 1750pts I will have them start to make an apperence transporting 5 GKTs. Its just that the thought of having nearly 500pts in one unit now sorta.... scares me as apposed to a year or so ago where I had 2 of the bloody things zooming around! *Shudders

There is no doubting the humble LRs psycological effect though. The sheer size off it means people oftem pour too much AT into it and its only really melta / lances / rail gun equilvilents that have a chance of doing real damage so by target fireing you can make that LR practically invunerable which one Ork general I played found out when all the AT he had was PC Nobs :)

To use the LR (Godwin) effectivly though in my army it will run as a distraction / counter attack unit. Stay around 36" away then go wherever 5 terminators may be needed :)

PL

#6 ·
I regularly use the redeemer. its a great denial vehicle, the area of control it exudes is spectacular. against MEQ it denies them the ability to deploy troops safely withing 12" of the landraider lest they get flamestormed. The multimetla and psybolt assault cannon are absolutely necessary. I pack it with 10 purifiers and a librarian.

Using the landraider shell to measure distance for psychic powers, the shrouding in particular, is invaluable. It has never dissapointed me, and though there are situations where i would like to have more ranged firepower, for 260 kitted out the redeemer is awesome.

delivering assault troops mid-late game is devastating when you can open transports/thin hordes/evaporate MEQ and then hop out and assault.

#8 ·
I don't like the Crusader, personally I feel 16 models is too much to dedicate into one land raider. A land raider is a great reliable platform but that many points in one area while against some is amazing against others could be disastrous to some bad luck. I like the classic land raider, and am trying to like the redeemer have to play around with the deep striking redeemer still.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.