Trying out the new HE army book (1.5k Friendly) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x7)

Trying out the new HE army book (1.5k Friendly)

Well, I got the army box and an extra box of spearmen so far and I am trying to work out a list that can use those and maybe 3 boxes of White Lions or Swordmasters (to get a unit of 15)

Here is one of the lists that I have been working on

High Elf Mage: 191
    Level 2
    Seerstaff of Saphery
    Silver Wand
    Barded Steed

High Elf Mage: 170
    Level 2
    Jewel of the Dusk
    Dispel Scroll

18 Spearmen: 187
    Full Command
    (Mage on steed goes here)

19 Spearmen: 196
    Full Command
    (Dispel Mage goes here)

15 Swordmasters: 305
    Full Command
    Banner of Sorcery

5 Dragon Princes: 160
    Musician

Tiranoc Chariot: --

2 Repeater Bolt Throwers: ---

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    Total: 1,494
    Power Dice: 8-10
    Dispel Dice: 4 + 1 Dispel scroll +1 to all dispel attempts

-------------------------------------------------------------------

So does this seem like a decent list? I am having trouble deciding between White Lions and Swordmaster for a couple reasons. On the one hand the front of my Swordmasters will be swinging with 11 attacks, but on the other hand white lions get strength 6, stubborn, and a 3+ save versus ranged.

But since my force is led by two mages, the swordmasters are also a bit fluffy.

"I am the architect of fate!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you will have to buy 3 spear men boxes
    the army looks okay

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

160 (x7)

not if he just bought the army box - it comes with 32 spears. He could also make some extra spear guys from all those extra bowmen he has laying around.

I don't really ever play the smaller point battles, but man this list looks really small, I think it's a factor of the new point costs. If you could squeeze some points out, both mages would benefit from riding a horse (I know you dont have the models yet) I also think the WL are probably a better buy for this list - let me explain. In smaller point games, the shooting style armies really have a leg up on other armies. Especially small high cost armies (HE). You really don't have a whole lot that can take out the opponent's shooting (Grt Eagles, only 1 RBT) so you're going to have to count on your cavalry taking the brunt of the shots and then charging in and taking out the hanguns or cannons or bolt throwers, whatever they have. I just think the WL will last better against those types of armies. SM would help in that they can dish out kills when they get in combat, or draw fire, but I don't know if they'll make it into combat. Maybe if you split them up ~ but then you can't really afford to take the Banner of Sorc. That's why it's hard to make a good small list with HE, they are so expensive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

- Your mounted mage has 2 arcane items and needs to drop one.

- I think you are spending too much on your magic phase for such a small points value. I would drop the Banner of Sorcery.

- If you remove the Banner of Sorcery, the Spearmen champions, and the Seerstaff you have enough points for a second chariot, or a unit of Reavers, or some Shadow Warriors and a banner for your Dragon Princes.

- Consider freeing some points for a War Banner. It really helps out in a tiny army like this, and it's cheap!

- Consider reducing the size of your Lion/SwordMaster unit to 12 if you need to free up points for an extra unit.

- I agree with some earlier posters, White Lions are the better all around choice. The Sword Masters do hit harder but are much more vulnerable to shooting and combat resolution, 2 things that a small army really needs to worry about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

172 (x7)

dang, I actually thought that I was doing well in the number of models compared to many other HE armies I have been seeing lately. Some of the 2k lists have fewer bodies on the board than mine.

As for the two arcane items, should I really drop the seerstaff over the silver wand? Is it better to get more spells rather than being able to pick which ones you want? I was thinking that with the banner of sorcery and the seerstaff I could at least pick the high magic spell that makes units stubborn. Then with the amount of powerdice I have I could basically force the spell through.

I really wanted to do a saphery themed list. I guess I may have to reconsider that.
    "I am the architect of fate!"

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

I think that the list is a good one. It will be fun to play with, the only thing that I might change is swap a bolt thrower for an eagle or 2. Another option is drop 2 SM and take 1 eagle and 1 extra chariot.

You are right about getting through the spells you want, and I would keep seer staff for what you want to do, there are normally only 2 or 3 really useful spells in a lore and it really helps to pick them out.

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Get the mages off the horses. You aren't going to be going anywhere, since your army is on the defensive and is relatively compact. You won't get any type of "lookout sir!" if you're on a horse. I don't get why people feel the urge to put a save on a mage that is going to be surrounded by guys who can make his saves for him.

I'm assuming your tactic is to use spears to hold the center of the line, and use the chariot and DPs to flank whoever charges them. Sounds good, pretty generic tactic because it works.

I'd say toss in a BSB, it'll help since your army is so compact. Don't give him an expensive banner, just give him armor and weaponry so that he can hold his own. Stick him in one of the spear regiments, or in with the DPs on a horse.
    I don't know if i'd keep the chariot of switch for a cavalry unit of some type. They offer similar hitting power, but the cavalry have better staying power. That'd be my first change- drop the chariot and some extras for either Silver Helms or DPs.

At 1.5k, two RBTs might be called cheesy. but that's a matter of opinion. Otherwise, it's a nice, sound, list.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

+ Reply to Thread